CPU/Mobo CPU/Mobo for future proof mild gaming rig

phunguus

Disciple
Hey guys,
Im looking to upgrade my PC.
My usage is primarily part movies, part gaming (apart from other mundane desktop stuff).
FIFA and GTA are primary games. May install a third RTS type game.
On the CPU front, Ive zeroed in on AMD's A10 5800K.
Im looking for a mobo to go with it.
The aim is to build a rig which will be able to handle future versions of games like ones mentioned above for 2-3 years without the need for a GPU upgrade. The budget for CPU/Mobo is ~15k.

Coming to the Qs-
1. Is the CPU apt for my requirement?

2. If yes, then is it necessary to go for a A85x chipset based mobo or 75x will do?

3. Also would a 430W PSU be sufficient or do i need something >500W?

I would recommend an Intel config. But its up to you. Get minimum 8 GB of RAM for your pc. And if you're planning to use a good graphics card like the GTX 560, then you'll need minimum 550W PSU, and that too of a good brand like Corsair or Seasonic.

1. Yes it'll play most games on medium setting on 720p, but now as the new consoles are releasing, i'm not sure if it can't handle games for coming 2-3 years.

2.The difference between the chipset are added raid/usb 3.0/sata 6 support
3.430w psu is sufficient it it's good quality brand like corsair/seasonic

and you should buy at least 8gb 1600mhz of ram.
Motherboard-http://www.flipkart.com/asus-f2a85-m-le-motherboard/p/itmdfzjuwded4kzz

1. Ok. So maybe i'll need to add a GPU once the games start to get more complex.
2. The mobo you suggested looks good, the ones i had found(Gigabyte & ASRock) are both ~10k. I guess they are for guys who push their systems to the limits.
3. Yes i'll most probably go for Seasonic 430 SII

I would recommend an Intel config. But its up to you. Get minimum 8 GB of RAM for your pc. And if you're planning to use a good graphics card like the GTX 560, then you'll need minimum 550W PSU, and that too of a good brand like Corsair or Seasonic.
I feel AMD offers more VFM esp for non business users. Even in the case of 5800K, most of the reviewers compare it with Intel's 3470/3450/3770 all of which are expensive and offer proportionately less performance than the 5800K. So thats why I chose AMD. And because i dont have the budget and the appetite for high end games right now, i think their trinity APU series suits me best.
As for the RAM, I thought a 4gb 1600Mhz RAM would do fine but i can push for 8gb if its really necessary.
I think i'll get the 430 seasonic now and if & when i upgrade to a separate GPU, ill swap it for a bigger one.

^^the motherboards you linked have more pcie slots/dual bios etc. Basically they are good if you are an enthusiast.
Use two ram dimms as they'll run in dual channel mode and system/game performance will be faster.[DOUBLEPOST=1369322178][/DOUBLEPOST]my current rig is-
Amd A10-5800k/ASUS F2A55-M LK2 PLUS/Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB(4x2) 1600mhz

I'm satisfied with this system ,I've played dead space3/bioshock infinite/far cry3/crysis 3/nfs:mw on this system so far on medium(sometimes high) 720p setting and the game-play experience is smooth.

Why didn't you go for the the 75x/85x based mobos? Dont need the newer SATA/USB versions or was it going out of your budget?

@Julian lol

Ok so after 1 more month of brooding since my last post in this thread, i (with julian's help) concluded that the APU series are for those people who have extremely specific needs.
For guys like me who needed a future proof rig, it's better to go with discrete components.
So this is what i ended up buying:-
AMD FX 6300 processor
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 motherboard (full version not LE)
Corsair Vengeance 1x4GB RAM 1600Mhz
Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus cabinet
Corsair CX500 SMPS
1 140mm fan (non-led) NZXT 140 mm Fan
1 120mm fan (non-led) NZXT 120 mm Fan

Total = 24k

And that's my mild gaming rig :rolleyes:

'extremely specific needs' here actually kinda means the exact opposite. as in people who would be satisfied with middle-of-the-road performance for occasional, dare i say light gaming etc. And in terms of cost/performance the APU's are neither here nor there. That's why the moderately high-end config.

Btw, he's temporarily using the existing gfx card, with an upgrade planned later (soon?). In case anyone's wondering how a mobo without onboard gfx is being used here...

Back