Budget 0-20k CPU, Mobo, RAM within 11k-12k

kidrow

Adept
Feb 10, 2009
  1. Q: What is your budget?
    • 11-12k for CPU, Mobo & RAM
  2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - AMD Phenom X4 9650
    • Motherboard - Asus XXX Not sure.... But it's busted!
    • GPU - Onboard
    • RAM - 2gb DDR2
    • Monitor - Asus 19 inch LCD
    • SMPS - iBall
  3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Will keep everything except for the CPU, Mobo, RAM

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component -
Final, Yes. Will upgrade RAM, if at all.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Mumbai B&M store
  1. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  2. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • General Office use, & Autocad. May use 3ds max for arch viz in the future.
  3. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • None
  4. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    None
  5. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    NA
  6. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  7. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit

Hi all,

So my friend's mobo has gone bust, & it seems it isn't available anymore. It was one which was compatible with the AMD Phenom X4 9650. So the only option left seems to be upgrading the CPU & the mobo & by necessity, the RAM as well.

I suggested the above mentioned AMD rig, as I think it'll suffice for his needs & it'll also be slightly better on performance than his earlier setup.

Now, I ain't well versed with PC components & hence have put up this thread, so someone can either confirm that it indeed is a decent setup or suggest any better alternatives.

I based my suggestions on the following benchmarking charts-

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/23?vs=700&i=25.26.27.28.29.38.39.40.41.42.43.45.46

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Prod...8.29.38.39.40.41.42.43.45.46.344.345.53.54.55

Thanks for your time, :).

ALPHA17

Cooler "Master"
Skilled
Jan 6, 2010
Delhi, India
@kidrow this is what I suggest --

AMD FX-4300 OR FX-6300 ~6500/- -->9000/- (I do not have any sources for the cost, so this is speculative pricing)
ASUS M5A97 ~6500/- (no point getting a motherboard with older chipsets, else there is no benefit of getting a Vishera CPU)
Corsair Vengeance 4GB x2 1600MHz ~3200/-

Hope this helps and wishing all on this thread a Happy, Prosperous and Healthy New Year ahead. Cheerio!

Last edited by a moderator:

kidrow

Adept
Feb 10, 2009
ALPHA17 Thanks for the response but that'll go way over his budget! For the budget, irrespective of the upgrade path etc. , would this suffice for his needs? Or is there any better alternative from Intel?

Also, would this mobo - Asrock N68 - be compatible with his current Phenom X4 9650? & is ASRock a good enough mobo manufacturer with decent after sales service?

Again, thanks.

ALPHA17

Cooler "Master"
Skilled
Jan 6, 2010
Delhi, India
ALPHA17 Thanks for the response but that'll go way over his budget! For the budget, irrespective of the upgrade path etc. , would this suffice for his needs? Or is there any better alternative from Intel?

Also, would this mobo - Asrock N68 - be compatible with his current Phenom X4 9650? & is ASRock a good enough mobo manufacturer with decent after sales service?

Again, thanks.

Seriously considering an upgrade in that budget is fraught with getting a quick 'deal' but later you OR your friend will regret the choice.

In my books ASRock is not a reliable company. So avoid their products, also as I have already mentioned there is no point getting a brand new Vishera (FX-*3**) OR Zambezi (FX-*1**) and combining it with such an old processor. The performance, efficiency of the entire RIG will be affected.

So reconsider the upgrade OR up your budget to ~15000/- -->20000/-, that would be my call.

kidrow

Adept
Feb 10, 2009
@ALPHA17 Thanks for the reply. He wasn't really wanting to upgrade in the 1st place. It was just necessitated by the fact that his mobo's busted & just out of warranty. The only mobo which seems to be available for his old proccy is an ASRock N68. So apparently, it's either that or a new setup. That's why he has set a low budget since this 'upgrade' isn't something he'd planned for. Also, he can't wait too long 'cos he's got work which needs to be tended to urgently. I only suggested what I did on the basis that the performance would be about the same as his old setup.

Last edited by a moderator: