Budget 31-40k CPU, Motherboard and GFX in and around 40K

1. Q: What is your budget?
    • 40K (for the CPU and motherboard)
  2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - None
    • Motherboard - None
    • GPU - currently have 5770
    • RAM - GSkill RipaJaws 1333MHz CL7 8GB
    • Monitor - Samsung 40EH5000
    • SMPS - Corsair TX650 V2
    • SSD - Intel 330 128GB
    • HDD - Seagate 2TB Green
    • COU Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO
  3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • All mentioned above

1. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU (open to both AMD and Intel. Was thinking of getting Phenom X2 560)
    • Motherboard (need SATA 6GBps and USB 3.0 as must. Preferably with front panel connectors)
    • GPU (prefer to have PhysX so want nVidia but even AMD is good. I can always add a cheap 9800GT to get PhysX)
  2. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, would want to keep this configuration for few more years
  3. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Nehru Place, Delhi
    • Open to online purchase
  4. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes
  5. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • HD Movies
    • Some Desktop Processing
  6. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Do not want to buy ASUS because of RASHI (even though I love the brand)
  7. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Batman AA/AC, Witcher 2, Skyrim, upcoming Castlevania-2 and the likes. Not into FPS and mostly adventure games.
  8. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1080p
    2. Desktop - 1080p
  9. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    • Preferred but if my rig can work well for few years, I can neglect this.
  10. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit

I've just sold my Core i7 3770 + ASUS P8Z77 V PRO combo, since it was not doing great for the intended purpose of gaming. I spent all my money there and didn't have money to get the GFX. Now I have some funds and would want to splurge more on the GFX and little less on the CPU/MOBO.

- - - Updated - - -
@ALPHA17

Last edited by a moderator:
@Vasishta.Sushant Considering your budget you'd go for this-
Intel i5 3570K-15k
Asus P8Z77-M PRO-12.5k
Sapphire HD7850-15k
If you don't want to overclock then go for this-
Intel i5 3550-13.5k OR i5 2400-10.5k
Gigabyte B75M D3H-4.5k
If you want you can wait for Nvidia GTX660 which will launch soon,If you get a Non-Overclocking rig then you can go for better GPU as AMD HD7950 OC-24k which can give you very high setting gaming performance.
Both the motherboard have Sata 6GBPS and USB3.0 support so no need to worry about that.

Can I go a little less aggressive on the CPU and mobo combo, so that I can squeeze in a better GPU ? Also I sold the 3770K for 19 grands and the V Pro for 15. Getting the suggested combo would save me 6.5 grands :p I think it'd be little foolish on me to get something like this.

How about this. Say 16K for CPU and mobo and 24K for the GPU ?

Yes you can go less for CPU+Mobo,Above i've given option of Intel i5 2400+Gigabyte B75M D3H-15k this will give you total 25k for GPU with that you can go for AMD HD7950-24k OR Nvidia GTX670-28k this would set you real good for gaming.:)
You can also add more cash to the gpu by going for Intel i3 2120-6.5k with Gigabyte mobo-11k that way you'll get 30k to add to the GPU but i think going with Quad Core+HD7950 is a better idea.
Can I go a little less aggressive on the CPU and mobo combo, so that I can squeeze in a better GPU ? Also I sold the 3770K for 19 grands and the V Pro for 15. Getting the suggested combo would save me 6.5 grands :p I think it'd be little foolish on me to get something like this.

How about this. Say 16K for CPU and mobo and 24K for the GPU ?

Better go for non-overclock'able rig and invest the saved money in a good GPU like 7950 as suggested. Pick up the cheapest i5-2xxx. Rest as suggested.

- - - Updated - - -

If getting 670, then get Asus DCII one, its top notch.

Ok another question. When we say non overclockable, is it truly non overclockable ? I don't have much idea about the intel OCing so confused. Is it mode like capped multiplier ? By changing FSB, can not push the 'non overclockable' processor by say 20% ?

- - - Updated - - -

I am somehow getting more inclined towards the Intel 3550 for 12K and some decent board. What would be the best board for say around 8K to go with the same poccy ? That way I can settle the CPU and mobo for 20K; and would still be lest with 20K for the GPU. Again as I have the 5770, I can wait for some time to see further price drops in the GPUs so that I can get say a 660Ti in and around 20K. What say guys ?

There's no point in overclocking the i5-2400 CPU because it's locked multiplier. It can only be overclocked +400MHz Turbo. That means a maximum of 3.8GHz on one core only (3.7GHz with two active cores, 3.6GHz with three active, and 3.5GHz with all four active).
The good news is that the rumors of Intel killing overclocking for non-K Sandy Bridge processors were slightly exaggerated! If you've got a CPU with Turbo Boost functionality it can be overclocked!! The bad news is that it's pretty limited. Our Core i5 2400 is rated at 3.1GHz with a typical Turbo speed of 3.2GHz with four active cores, with an absolute maximum of 3.4GHz under a single core load. By changing the Turbo multipliers to the maximum allowed either in the BIOS or the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and raising the power consumption limits to 135W we were able to get the Core i5 2400 to run at a solid and steady 3.6GHz with a full 4 core load. 2 and 3 core loads are allowed to run at 3.7GHz and under single core loads Turbo was allowed up to 3.8GHz. These are noticeable increases in speed and only added about 15w of additional power use. It was on default voltage as well.
But there is no point in going through this hassle as it won't add much difference to performance.
Ok another question. When we say non overclockable, is it truly non overclockable ? I don't have much idea about the intel OCing so confused. Is it mode like capped multiplier ? By changing FSB, can not push the 'non overclockable' processor by say 20% ?

- - - Updated - - -

You can wait for a while for things to cool down,Dollar rate going down compared to now.As it is there are rumors of GTX660Ti price cut to 20k so you'll get good price for it.The Gigabyte B75M D3H is the most VFM mobo within 7-8k,You can go for Intel i5 3550 with Gigabyte mobo it'll be well within 20k so you're good to wait for GTX660Ti OR HD7950 prices coming down.Hope this clears things.:)

- - - Updated - - -

I am somehow getting more inclined towards the Intel 3550 for 12K and some decent board. What would be the best board for say around 8K to go with the same poccy ? That way I can settle the CPU and mobo for 20K; and would still be lest with 20K for the GPU. Again as I have the 5770, I can wait for some time to see further price drops in the GPUs so that I can get say a 660Ti in and around 20K. What say guys ?

Would I be wrong if I say that I should not be worrying much about CPU (3550) for at least 3 years ? I am shooting for a 7870/660Ti/7950 (may be 7950/670/7970) currently. The plan is the upgrade the GPU only, after say 3 yrs. (my stalwart 5770 served me for good three years and is still going strong). Reasonable expectations?

Yes you're good for 3 years if you go with 3550 and 7950 OR More,The GPU lineup changes every one and half years so you can upgrade gpu later if you feel like.So no need to worry.:)
Would I be wrong if I say that I should not be worrying much about CPU (3550) for at least 3 years ? I am shooting for a 7870/660Ti/7950 (may be 7950/670/7970) currently. The plan is the upgrade the GPU only, after say 3 yrs. (my stalwart 5770 served me for good three years and is still going strong). Reasonable expectations?

Perfect. So CPU (3550) set, GPU (something from 7870/660Ti/7950) it'd be. Still not convinced about the motherboard.BTW I will be visiting nehru place this weekend if I don't get decent prices online. I'd appreciate if you guys can suggest some decent deals for the stuff I wish to purchase.

The Gigabyte mobo has 1 Sata 6GBPS and 2 Usb 3.0 ports and 1600mhz ram support,Is there something more you want?,You'll get good prices locally than online.
Perfect. So CPU (3550) set, GPU (something from 7870/660Ti/7950) it'd be. Still not convinced about the motherboard.BTW I will be visiting nehru place this weekend if I don't get decent prices online. I'd appreciate if you guys can suggest some decent deals for the stuff I wish to purchase.

I'd have preferred a motherboard with front USB 3.0 ports. Just bought a 1TB portable hdd and would probaly buy mroe USB 3.0 devices in the future. Also the way my cabinet is placed, I won't ever be able to make frequent use of the rear 3.0 ports. Additionally, one more SATA 6GBps ports would be preferred. Not really a show stopper though since I won't really be adding any HDD any soon. But since I won't change this motherboard in next 3-4 years, I think I should get something with little more versatility. And just two fan headers suck. I've 5 fans in my cabinet, excluding the CPU fan. :(

- - - Updated - - -

I'd have preferred a motherboard with front USB 3.0 ports. Just bought a 1TB portable hdd and would probaly buy mroe USB 3.0 devices in the future. Also the way my cabinet is placed, I won't ever be able to make frequent use of the rear 3.0 ports. Additionally, one more SATA 6GBps ports would be preferred. Not really a show stopper though since I won't really be adding any HDD any soon. But since I won't change this motherboard in next 3-4 years, I think I should get something with little more versatility. And just two fan headers suck. I've 5 fans in my cabinet, excluding the CPU fan. :(

- - - Updated - - -

How about this board ? http://www.flipkart.com/asus-p8b75-v-motherboard/p/itmdajdyvwzmdq58?pid=MBDDAJBJJY2EY5JQ&ref=f9a767bb-e1e6-4014-bba6-d91518a0cbf9

Looks like this will be a better performer. Not sure though.

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone help me find this board ? http://in.msi.com/product/mb/B75A-G43.html#/?div=Overview Also comment about the availability.

Vasishta the GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H supports front USB 3.0 ports, if you cannot find it locally in Nehru Place get it from flipkart.com where the price is good. GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-B75M-D3H (rev. 1.1).

For more fan headers the only solution is a full-ATX solution, even the ASUS motherboard you have marked has only ~3 fan headers (2 independent + 1 CPU header).

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

In my opinion the GIGABYTE motherboard is your best bet, forward USB 3.0 internal header, better I / O panel on the rear (none of the other motherboards offer a SP-DIF port).

Just saw that Flipkart listed ASUS DCU II 660Ti. The price is not mentioned though. If it conforms to the price listed by the tech2.in review, I'll get that one for sure.

Why not go for AMD HD7950 OC-25k,You'll have that much cash left considering you'll be going for Non Ocing combo.
Just saw that Flipkart listed ASUS DCU II 660Ti. The price is not mentioned though. If it conforms to the price listed by the tech2.in review, I'll get that one for sure.

For 20.5K(if that happens), I'll prefer to get the 660Ti. I'll be saving some cash and also no additional hassles to search for an additional PhysX card. I really would love to have this thing.

Back