CPU/Mobo CPU pin broke

Rave

ex-Mod
Well the title says it all.. here is the complete story..[Techie ppl skip para 1 :p]

A few months ago, my cousin's mobo went kaput, [i think deejay remebers i mentioning about this] is had no warranty, so that guy had to wait for some time to get a new motherboard. finally went on 24th of this month and brought a mercury mobo based on 845 chipset, his is a celeron proccy, 2.0 gigz, so i didnt feel the need for a better mobo, anyways, brought the mobo and gave it to my cousin. now what his elder brother did was installed the proccy on the mobo..

the next day morning cousin came to my house, told me that he had installed it and its not working. went to his place, took out the hsf asembly and saw the proccy, voilla, 2 pins completly bent, that is flat against the surface.. took a needle and straightned one, then the other, well, u must be wondering where is the broke part, well here it is, the second pin had bent like an arc, tried straightning it, and well, it came off..

i had no idea what to do with it now. read a few articles and they said that it can be repaired/reattached at a jewllers shop. went back to tell my cousin, but he had by that time already left of Globus [hardware repair shop] called him and told him about taking it to jewllwers shop, he tok it to all the places he cud think of, all said nothing can be done, he came back, i took the proccy from him and took it to a TV repair shop, he took a copper wire of almost equal diametre, solderd it on the proccy, cut it, and gave it to me in 5 mins, installed the processor on the mobo and it went in without any porblems.. runing fine, havent ran any tests, but ran a few games including UG2 on interl extreme 2, so i guess its stable enough..

any comments ppl? ;)

Wow.....good thinking Rave......Love the story.......ingenious.....
I am often terrified by the prospect of a chip pin coming off while doing any such stuff.....

Well thats the normal way to repair / solder the "Broken" pin back on the psu. nothing new about it.
you should be commended for using ur senses to firstly identify the problem and then take it to a repair shop which can do soldering easily, quickly, and "cheaply".
ps: ask ur cousin to "not" remove the cpu from the socket too frequently. as this solder joint will eventually break on frequent stress i.e. unless you put a small dab of nail polish on the solder joint. just barely covering it and not touching the surrounding pins, if you use a lot of nail polish then the dried nailpolish will prevent the proper installation of the cpu in the socket.
sunny said:
most of the pins on P4 are dummy ones...lol
.........care to explain in detail.:huh:

Yeah... just solder the damn pin back in again. Its not really a big deal if u have decent soldering skills. Happened to me many a times ;)

Chaos said:
Yeah... just solder the damn pin back in again. Its not really a big deal if u have decent soldering skills. Happened to me many a times ;)

Dude then you seriosuly need a crash course on CPU installation
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Just Kiddin ;)

@DJ, care to explain why nail polish?

regarding the solder, yea its quite sturdy, but ive told him not to remove the cpu now, and am sure he wont coz every now and then I keep scaring him that his CPU is kaput, like recently he complained about spyware and i said its because his CPU is gonna die soon, LOL!!

SunMysore said:
most of the pins on P4 are dummy ones...lol

deejay said:
.........care to explain in detail.:huh:

Deej a while back a friend had damaged one pin on a Intel CPU and it had fallen off right from the base of the CPU - no chance of soldering it. Before reseating the damaged CPU I went across to a Computer book store and checked an Intel CPU manual which had a diagram of the internal of the CPU and it showed that a few of the pins alongside the damaged pin were in fact connected inside and they were all a ground connection. WHEW !! That CPU worked for its full life without a problem. I think it was a P1 200MMX.

Rave said:
he took a copper wire of almost equal diametre, solderd it on the proccy

I may not be right in what I am going to say but maybe someone more qualified can confirm this. I remember a long while back there was some talk in another forum about not having 2 different types of metals coming in contact in such situations - copper of the replaced pin and gold in the socket. Copper tarnishes - will this affect the performance of the CPU over a period of time ? It has also something to do with arcing and creating bad contacts over time. I will do a search on this and get back if I find out more details in the meanwhile "Chalte ke Naam Gaddi"

Back