CPU upgradation advise...

mohit1981

Disciple
Hi,

I purchased the desktop in 2003 and now would like to replace it.

My current CPU configuration is : AMD Anthlon 2000xp+, 1 GB ram, 40GB HDD and DVD writer.

I would like to upgare it to : Pentium i3/i5, 4 GB ram, 500 GB HDD. ( I am not much into gaming)

Can some one please guide as to what should be the approx price of such upgradation ( including the prices of allied componets that I may have missed). I am from Delhi

Please advise....

id say 10-12k atleast !

but you have not given proper info !

what do you want to buy the pc for i.e purpose .

your budget , you want new psu or not ?

how old is the system ?

If you will be using onboard graphics then you should wait one month for new intel sandy bridge cpus to arrive because they have better onboard graphics

My response based on template questionaire:

1. Q: What is your budget?

15 k

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

1. CPU – AMD Anthlon 2000xp+ (1.67 GHZ)

2. Motherboard – MSI (VIA KM400 chipset based)

3. GPU - not sure

4. RAM – 1 GB

5. Monitor – Samsung SyncMaster 753 DFX

6. SMPS – not sure

7. Video card- VIA/S3GKM400/KN400

8. Sound card - Realtelk

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

1. Monitor - Samsung SyncMaster 753 DFX

2. SMPS -

3 Samsung DVD writer, intex keyboard, and Samsung mouse

4. Ram if it can be used

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

1. CPU - Intel i3/i5

2. Motherboard - any compatible motherboard

3. GPU - Please suggest

4. RAM – 4 GB RAM

5. HD - 500 GB

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

This will be my final configuration

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

1. Delhi ( will prefer to get it done from one place)

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

1. No

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

1. Gaming (very very occasional)

2. Browsing

3. Viewing and editing family photos in picasa

4. Download (not 24X7)

5. Watching HD movies

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

1. I do not have preference for any brand, just want them to be reputed and carry warranty /guarantee.

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

1. Road Rash ;)

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

1. Gaming – Please suggest

2. Desktop - Please suggest

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?

1. No

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

1. Windows 7 or XP

My basic use will be for internet browsing, family photos and videos editing ( not professionally but like we do in picasa,), downloading and working on microsoft office.

Please let me know if you need nay other information from my side for helping me out...

Thanks

Imo u go with amd.

Amd x4 635=5.7k

Gigabyte ga-880gm-ud2h=5.7k

gskill ripjaws 2*2gb 1600mhz=3.6k

total=15k

U not need graphic card.Onboard graphic is enough for u.

i3 - 540 5k

GA-H55M-S2 3.5k OR DH55TC 4.5k

2GB*2 Kingston DDR3 3k

total=12.5k

HDD will be less than 2k , so 13.5k / 14.5k

If you plan on gaming, get a GPU when you can afford it

Also, get a decent PSU if you get a GPU..

Wait for sandy bridge if you can..

rahulyo said:
Imo u go with amd.

Amd x4 635=5.7k

Gigabyte ga-880gm-ud2h=5.7k

gskill ripjaws 2*2gb 1600mhz=3.6k

total=15k

U not need graphic card.Onboard graphic is enough for u.
AMD Athlon II x4 635 is selling for 4.5K

Mobo: Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H Rs.4500

Ram Price: same as u suggested

@mohit

go with the rig rahulyo suggested... it has 4 real cores and performes better than intel core i3 540... plus it wud last a bit longer coz future applications wud use 4 or more than 4 cores...

AMD AthlonII X3 440 ~ 3.5k/ AMD AthlonII X4 635~4.5k
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H~4.5k
Corsair 2*2gb 1333mhz DDR3 value RAM=2.8k ( Dont waste money one higher clocked kits. not necessary for ur usage. Better invest it in a decent PSU)
500GB Seagate 7200.12 ~ 1.8k
FSP SAGAII 350w ~ 1.5k

Total: 14.1-15.1k(Ur PSU would be generic one that comes with the case and would be a very old one. So dont go with it for ur brand new rig. PSU is the heart of ur rig and dont cheap out on that. FSP is a major PSU OEM and the clean power that it delivers will be sufficient for ur rig. Dont get fooled by shopkeepers selling 450w generic PSU's for Rs.500. In reality they cant even deliver 200-250w and that too wont be clean power. U get what u paid for.)

mohit1981 said:
Thanks DarkAngel your valuable feedback.....Do you think I should continue with AMD or migrate to Intel?
It is your call bro, mostly Intel trumps out AMD in eXtreme performance stakes but sheer Value For Money is AMD's forte no favoritism but sticking to AMD will not harm you but Intel has now gone on a Socket change spree since introduction of Core i7/5/3 series so an upgrade path is hard to chart but AMD socket's have been backward compatible till now :), for performance comparison between the AMD Athlon II x 635/x3 440 and Intel Core i3 here are links

Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News ~ Athlon II x4 635 vs. Core i3 540

Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News ~ Athlon II x3 440 vs. Core i3 540

Hope this helps :)

Back