Crapple Doing It Again

Even though I don't see the point of a bendy display, Im sure they're doing it "their " way, which means Apple will patent the shit out of everything regrading it, And if they are first to bring a flexible display product to the market then it totally makes sense to patent it first.

keep in mind the US patent system works on a first come first basis and you can get a patent on just about anything :)

But this is the same as Samsung YOUM Flexible OLED displays which they have been talking about for quite a time now and showed functional prototypes a few months back.BTW Apple is not a name in display manufacture and they are now showing off drawings akin to somewhat a 3 year old would do whereas their competitor has functional products(albeit in the prototype stage)

On another point this is impossible to do with a conventional LCD display and is only possible on OLED displays and you have to admit that Samsung is a major player in that field.

LG poached a Samsung Display engineer and got access to a number of Samsung OLED display tech for which Samsung is suing them now.

Apple has lots of years of parent trolling experience and they have made it into an art form. It has been happening since the 80's. No other company abuses patent system to the fullest as much as Apple. Whenever they happen upon game changing ideas, they race the companies to the patent office to get patents, most of them using crude drawings or just a crude descriptions without anything concrete and then leverage those patents to stop the others companies from their own innovations. Heck, they didn't even spare Xerox labs considering that they tried to sue them to stop them from working on GUI after Apple borrowed the concepts from them. Apple has always been an arch enemy number 1 of any innovation that is coming out of any company other than their own and they have actively done everything in their hands to stop such innovation or at least to prevent their competitors from getting any credit for it.

Apple has lots of years of parent trolling experience and they have made it into an art form. It has been happening since the 80's. No other company abuses patent system to the fullest as much as Apple. Whenever they happen upon game changing ideas, they race the companies to the patent office to get patents, most of them using crude drawings or just a crude descriptions without anything concrete and then leverage those patents to stop the others companies from their own innovations. Heck, they didn't even spare Xerox labs considering that they tried to sue them to stop them from working on GUI after Apple borrowed the concepts from them. Apple has always been an arch enemy number 1 of any innovation that is coming out of any company other than their own and they have actively done everything in their hands to stop such innovation or at least to prevent their competitors from getting any credit for it.

Do you really hate apple to the core ??
No offense but most of the times your post in anti-apple whatever the scenario maybe !!

Not sure about all the points but I have to admit that Apple was the one who got the smartphone revolution rolling or else we would have been stuck with Symbian 60 crap.
But this is simply childish behaviour from Apple which now only innovates in legal bullying.

I can digest that the design patents were violated by the Galaxy S which to be honest copies a bit too much from the iPhone icons but this is simply hilarious where you blatantly claim a tech that has been made already as a future pipeline and patent it.

On another note Tim Cook lambasted the AMOLEDs being far from the true RGB spectrum(which is a bit true upto the S3.Read up on the S4 display review to see that it has and Adobe RGB mode to rectify this complaint.) and now they are patenting AMOLED tech which only Samsung has and I think will not be passed on to Apple.

Not sure about all the points but I have to admit that Apple was the one who got the smartphone revolution rolling or else we would have been stuck with Symbian 60 cr@p.

Motorola developed the first handheld mobile, and i am sure the subsequent companies are using tech based on moto. Or if anything else, Moto came with that concept, just like how prolly a carpenter made a rectangular shaped table with the 'cool' corners. I certainly dont see them behaving like idiots. (Not picking on u or ur post. Just based on the thought which u expressed initially. Many people say the same thing and this is my std reply)

Secondly, there have been innovations without apple's contribution and to say people would have been still stuck with Symbian is a pretty 'unwishful' thinking.

... I too have observed this in lot of posts.

iinm, he has worked for iOS platform and hence he know pretty well what he is saying.
His posts are not plain rants but backed by decent facts and common sense.

That Xerox issue is something which i prolly am gonna side with apple (unfortunately).
But my knowledge is a bit hazy here, so do correct me if i am wrong. Say if apple had indeed borrowed the rights to the GUI, and if xerox goes ahead and further develops the concept.. who would have look at apple's design..? as the new GUI from Xerox would have ultimately been a rung above what the apple corp would have been working on?
And if apple has got the rights to a concept/design, technically wont the further improved ones will be based on the base design itself?

Always wanted more clarification on this part so anybody who has a good knowledge about the same, pls drop in some input.

@On topic
If this indeed is the flexible display which Samsung demo-ed a few weeks back, or anywhere near the same technology.. Apple really has proved itself to be a grumpy and utterly unethical company.
Somebody ought to sue the patent office of USA for being a complete tool. I thought they had administrators with a bit of a brain and a sound system in place.
Bill gates shouldnt have rescued apple from the situation they were in back in the 90s.

Not sure about all the points but I have to admit that Apple was the one who got the smartphone revolution rolling or else we would have been stuck with Symbian 60 crap.
But this is simply childish behaviour from Apple which now only innovates in legal bullying.

I can digest that the design patents were violated by the Galaxy S which to be honest copies a bit too much from the iPhone icons but this is simply hilarious where you blatantly claim a tech that has been made already as a future pipeline and patent it.

On another note Tim Cook lambasted the AMOLEDs being far from the true RGB spectrum(which is a bit true upto the S3.Read up on the S4 display review to see that it has and Adobe RGB mode to rectify this complaint.) and now they are patenting AMOLED tech which only Samsung has and I think will not be passed on to Apple.
Don't call Symbian s60 crap. Show some respect

Even though I don't see the point of a bendy display, Im sure they're doing it "their " way, which means Apple will patent the shit out of everything regrading it, And if they are first to bring a flexible display product to the market then it totally makes sense to patent it first.

keep in mind the US patent system works on a first come first basis and you can get a patent on just about anything :)
You do not have to bring it to the market to be able to patent it.

The problem lies with the broken US patent system. Apple is simply taking advantage of it, however insidiously.

As for Tim Cook trashing AMOLED, Apple has a colourful history of doubling back over the decades, not surprising at all. Recently, remember who said 4 inch phones and 7 inch tablets were useless?

I think that this first come first served law will hit other countries also.Remember the Basmati rice fiasco in which some US company got the patent on the Basmati strain and proclaimed it as their brandname.Same thing happened for turmeric also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basmati#Patent_battle

At least the BRIC nations should take US to WTO court for this no-brainer law of theirs.

We have a number of hybrid agroproducts in mango,rice etc. which can be patented legally using this law by any bio patent troll and next thing you know they will be demanding royalties if those indigenous products are sold in the US mainland and even in our country itself.

The root of this entire problem seems to be the USPTO which doesn't get its funding from the US Government.Instead they survive on the fee that they get from validating a patent which has lead to the insane number of inane patents granted to US companies.

Unfortunately the USPTO which should be a regulatory body is more akin to a service provider which delivers what you pay for.

This part was enough for me to ignore the rest of your post.
Buddy I am not talking about Belle or Anna which to be honest saw the bar being raised by Nokia.I am talking about Symbian 60 back in 2007-08 when I was using Nokia phones.I had the Nokia 3230 and then the N73M which were solid phones but 1 year down the line started giving all sorts of issues mostly related to software like random reboots,freezes etc.The 3230 was a pin with all those bluetooth viruses which lead me to perform a hard reset every now and then.That was the thing that Apple changed around and showed Nokia that only superb hardware was not enough to win the race.

I am not sure what the hype is about large businesses utilising loopholes in the law. It would be a sensation if one wasn't and still be successful.

It is also surprising to see the excess attention to apple. If Apple was the only one doing it, it wouldn't have much competition.

Palm, HP, Dell all had smart phones years before apple released their smartphone. The only reason Apple's products become popular is because 90% USA of population is their fan and lap up their products even if they are full of bugs. Apple is doing what any greedy company would do. Patent design first even when competitors already have working models long before they even thought of the designs. The other companies should get their act together and patent every minute thing as soon as they start designing them. No matter whether they release the design or not they should get it patented. This is the only way to beat Apple in their own game.

The only reason Apple's products become popular is because 90% USA of population is their fan and lap up their products even if they are full of bugs. Apple is doing what any greedy company would do.

True for iPhone 5. Not up until 3GS.

Why are we picking on apple btw?

because they're patenting drawings whereas others have working models? example: NFC. nokia, toshiba, sony already had working prototypes of it when they patented it. apple has a patent for it (i think they got it in 2011 or 12) but not yet put it in their iphone. whereas you see nfc in almost all phones now. can someone explain why?

^ don't they lose most of the patent battles in court or the patent invalidated.

Also if they patent and try to overcharge on a very commonly used feature the opponents can file those patents to be filed under FRAND licenses. In fact Apple and Motorola tried to screw apple for entering the mobile market but apple won that battle keeping iphone prices at a cheap 45k instead of the 50-60k, if Nokia and Moto had their way.

I don't see apple winning cases here.

just to make it clear, i'm not against apple or their money making tactics. like i said, any company in usa with billions in their account would do such stuff and are probably doing such stuff. I dont think they (apple) have lost most of their battles in the courts. the us patents office has invalidated some of the broad patents, but not all. apple wont license their patents to other companies. they just dont want to license it under frand or other systems where you get royalty and allow other companies to make devices with same set of functionality. To me, they are acting like a small brat who has a toy from a store and does not want anyone else to play with the same toy in the same place.

In fact Apple and Motorola tried to screw apple for entering the mobile market but apple won that battle keeping iphone prices at a cheap 45k instead of the 50-60k, if Nokia and Moto had their way.
frand license is different in the sense companies are allowed to use the standards (even if its developed by Motorola or Nokia or Sony). In return for using those designs, they have to pay a royalty per device to these companies. The royalties is decided by the companies who designed the original standards & it will differ according to company.A typical mobile phone can contain a lot of these frand licensed standards being used in addition to other non frand licenses.
Apple's main gripe was that motorola/nokia or samsung were charging them a bit more compared to other companies. in some cases they didnt even pay royalty and were fined heavily in courts in the US.

Just to give you an idea, frand royalties are around less than a dollar for each phone. probably in range of 5-40 cents. even if apple was being asked for a dollar or maybe 5 dollars per device, i dont see how it could make a dent in their profits. so that point of cheap 45k versus 60k does not hold here. apple's pricing (and marketing of their devices) from the 80's was always elitist to begin with. They already get a lot of profit from every device they sell compared to the the input cost. Its been their sales strategy from years and I dont see them selling stuff at normal prices anytime in future.

Back