Crappy Airtel EDGE Speed

monkee

Gamer, Tweaker, and such.
Adept
Hey guys,

First some background info. I use a T-Mobile G2, worked with Vodafone EDGE brilliantly ( as in 28KB/s tethered via IDM ) and now I just got an Airtel sim and activated the 98Rs EDGE plan. I'm using prepaid and live in Guduvanchery ( actually, right outside SRM university ) and I have very good reception everywhere in my house and in my lectures ( ~ -77dBm - -59dBm ).

However, my EDGE speed is really crappy. I never get over 1KB/s and 3-4KB/s ONLY if I'm lucky. I'm wondering if there's a specific APN that I should be using. Also, the plan says GPRS and I don't even get GPRS speeds of ~10KB/s ( which is really enough for my facebook chat/tweeting/Gtalk/Gmail ). I can't even speedtest properly. However, when I do speedtest, I get ~120kbps upload. Download's mostly under 20kbps.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Or should I just go back to VF and forsake this stupid Airtel connection? I'm really not going to flash another radio since I get extremely good battery life with this radio ( 36 hours plus on the stock battery )

TIA.

Well, APN has doesn't got nothing to do with speeds. BTW for Airtel MO its airtelgprs.com. The speeds depends on the service provided by Airtel in your area and "slots" free on the tower you are under (coverage). I do agree airtel speeds are really crappy as compared to its glorious past. I used to get speeds upto 29KB/s. I'll suggest you to go switch back to vodafone as CC can't help in it coz its a matter of service.

Ah okay. I think it's time to switch back to Vodafone then. Gotte wait till at least the 8th for this.

I'd be using the 98 EDGE plan. At least I know I get proper EDGE speeds in this exact location.

ggt said:
Any of you tried reliance gsm?
Yeah, I'm currently using it and get decent speeds from it of around 24KB/s. Plans are very good too. :) But one suggestion mate, wireless net is something which are totally area dependent. So, first try 'em out in your area, then go for them if they are good enough.

JuGGa said:
Yeah, I'm currently using it and get decent speeds from it of around 24KB/s. Plans are very good too. :) But one suggestion mate, wireless net is something which are totally area dependent. So, first try 'em out in your area, then go for them if they are good enough.

no i was suggesting to the op to try reliance . had used reliance edge earlier and know they are known to provide good speeds . just that i am not aware of their current status.

ggt said:
no i was suggesting to the op to try reliance . had used reliance edge earlier and know they are known to provide good speeds . just that i am not aware of their current status.
Well, i didn't said to stick to voda either, rather i just said to try out diff service providers. BTW Reliacne has got bad network, still i <3 it :eek:hyeah:

I've previously used VF ( on my bombay sim ) and its edge services here and theyre great. Hence I decided I'd move back to them.

Back