CPU/Mobo Crash course for a Power RIG (required one not given one)

Sesar

Disciple
Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.6Ghz + Asus P5B Deluxe BIOS 0711

Is this best combo for Core2???
Is something better round the corner (december)?
->Have 70,000k for a CPU, MOBO, Ram (atleast 2 gb), Graphic card (dx10 a must....so just tell how much cash to save up), Cabinet(one wid plenty of Upgrade Options...do any screwless cases exist?), HD (atleast 250 gb)

->And what's the status wid AMD's Quad cores? Quad cores do sound gud for 3d and editing but seems they won't do much gud till Yorkshire or whatever the next Quad core series is called come out and make them cheaper.
Required for
->3D (Maya & Max)
->Vid editing
->Digital Painting
->Movie ripping
->Mass Downloading
->Gaming for course
Currently thinking of
->Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.6Ghz + Asus P5B Deluxe BIOS 0711 (since most ppl on Te have it...plz suggest if something better avail.)

->Corsair ram....if that's avail. in delhi

->No idea on HD & Cabinet....

->How much cash to save for a Dx10 card?

So what should i go for..............

- CPU & MOBO = ?
- Ram = ?
- HD & Cabinet = ?
- Graphic Card = Cash to save basically
- External HD (atleast 60 gb) = ?
- Should I OC?...what are the safety measures should i take?
Will be doing Art practice & some freelancing work.....gaming, ripping movies and lots of other shit, basically want to build a monster rig. And will be glad if ppl can suggest the aditional components that can be helpful.

ps- sorry for being so confusing

Well, If you wanna run a E6600 @ 3.6 Ghz for 24/7.. Your gonna need a really good CPU Cooler. Water Cooling or a Tuniq tower 120 :p..

The rig sounds decent enough...

Aditya said:
Well, If you wanna run a E6600 @ 3.6 Ghz for 24/7.. Your gonna need a really good CPU Cooler. Water Cooling or a Tuniq tower 120 :p..

The rig sounds decent enough...

How much for 1? I know many ppl here have butt buddies overseas but i don't and would prefer if they can take care of my feelings and not burn my ass wid suggesting uber hardware which i cannnot get :). I mean suggest hardware that i can buy in india.

Go for Asus P5W DH Deluxe mobo instead of the P5B Deluxe. P5W DH Dlx is an overclockers dream and comes with all bells and whistles.
Today 10:57 AM

thks point noted

techcheat said:
Go for Asus P5W DH Deluxe mobo instead of the P5B Deluxe. P5W DH Dlx is an overclockers dream and comes with all bells and whistles.

Yeah right... overclocker's dream that has issues hitting 400FSB :rofl:. Oh my whatta monster overclock :bleh:

@sesar: 3.6 is a bit optimistic for 24/7 unless you are on a high end water cooler. 3.2 is more of what you should be looking at. Avoid buying high end ram in india... complete waste of cash :p.

If you want DX10 graphics then you you will have to wait atleast till Jan or Feb. The initial costs for the cards would be damn high and there were would be very limited choice. As for the RAM, I agree with Chaos, dont know for high end ram in India. Either get it from outside or just settle for some good branded value RAM. For mobo, settle for a P965 based board rather than 975 as it seems that 965 has better oc potential and runs cooler too and a bit cheaper to boot. Dont forget to get a good PSU to run all that stuff.

Chaos said:
Yeah right... overclocker's dream that has issues hitting 400FSB :rofl:. Oh my whatta monster overclock :bleh:

@sesar: 3.6 is a bit optimistic for 24/7 unless you are on a high end water cooler. 3.2 is more of what you should be looking at. Avoid buying high end ram in india... complete waste of cash :p.
lol perfect case of shooting yourself in the foot. This mobo with updated bios can even hit 450 FSB.... Links below for some useful info about overclocking this board:

ByteSizedReviews.com :: Asus P5W DH Deluxe Motherboard Review

Qoute:"We found that by increasing chipset voltage to 1.65v we could easily achieve a 400MHz front side bus. Our particular board topped out at 412MHz, though forums have shown that almost all boards hit 390-450MHz depending on the configuration and of course luck"

Asus P5W DH Deluxe Review - Page 14 - More on Overclocking & Conclusion

Qoute:"If you want to overclock the heck out of your Conroe, you can't go wrong with this board."

"In order to run at 3.48GHz we:

set the Vcore to 1.45000
set the DDR2 voltage to 2.3V
set the DDR2 timing to 4-4-4-12 @ 870MHz
set the FSB speed to 435MHz used the outstanding ThermalRight Ultra 120 cooler with two 63CFM 12cm fans in a push-pull configuration
The E6400 is an amazing overclocker; and we managed to set a new record on this motherboard... are you ready for this?"

So I appreciate next time before you jump the gun, please do some research.

Lastly P5B Deluxe is a great mobo too, however the previous version of Bios only supports JEDEC complaint 1.8 V DDR 800 RAM with 5-5-5 timings, so if you get a mobo whose bios is old than you might have problems booting up with some memories. So in that case you would have to boot with a different memory, flash the bios, increase memory volts to 1.9v and than boot....

So since P5W DH is more compliant with most memories, overclocks great (as good as Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 P965), comes with so many goodies, remote, IR reciever, wireless antenna, dual gig ethernet both running at 1000 mps (in P5B Deluxe one ethernet controller works at 545 mbps only), supports conroe without need to flash bios, has a better PATA/IDE controller than the stupid JMmicron (or something) controller on the P5B Deluxe... has a zillion connectors...I would say go with this mobo spcly since the price difference is around 1k.

^^Ask rio for troubles to go beyond 400FSB :p. He has a P5WDH and he still would recommend a P5B instead. Suicide shots are pointless... thats what those are. If you wanna run 400FSB all the time, then that board is nothing but trouble. Have you ever heard the of the fact about mags glossing over products because the makers are their sponsors? If you think P5WDH overclocks so well, then why don't we see anyone at xs using them? The only 975 boards I see over there are the ABIT AW9D-MAX and Asus P5W64 Pro cos those can easily reach 450. P5WDH has severe bios issues however much these third rate websites may gloss over it.

Chaos said:
^^Ask rio for troubles to go beyond 400FSB :p. He has a P5WDH and he still would recommend a P5B instead. Suicide shots are pointless... thats what those are. If you wanna run 400FSB all the time, then that board is nothing but trouble. Have you ever heard the of the fact about mags glossing over products because the makers are their sponsors? If you think P5WDH overclocks so well, then why don't we see anyone at xs using them? The only 975 boards I see over there are the ABIT AW9D-MAX and Asus P5W64 Pro cos those can easily reach 450. P5WDH has severe bios issues however much these third rate websites may gloss over it.

I completely agree with chaos. It seems that while the 965P can easily go 480 or 500MHz, anything above 400MHz for 975 is a challenging task. The 450MHz on the P5W is after BIOS update and that too the max achieved with high voltages I think. I agree that hte IDE support on 975 boards is relatively trouble free. But still 965 vs 975 is simply not as plain as 865 vs 875. Even in performance the two chipsets are well matched and the 965 does indeed seem to have better oc potential.

Thanks for the info above, my opinions were based only after extensive readings from various forums and reviews. I have never owned the board so cant comment on Rio's user experience. Did hear a new Bios has improved the overclockability tremendously.
Actually I have the choice between the following motherboards as I am going to Germany and need to make up my mind and have been reading like crazy... I still havent made up my mind yet, so would appreciate your feedback.
I am planning to buy Core 2 Duo E6300 (on a tight budget) .... with a P965 mobo/or P975X.... I want compatible memory, preferably 800 Mhz... and a graphic card.... I would be overclocking the processor to run anywhere between 2.6 to 3 ghz constant. I have the following options for the motherboard:

Option 1) Asus P5B Standard without acceseries 118 Euros : 7k or 140 Euros with accessories: 8.2k

Pros:
1) Decent overclocker and at a great price... btw whats the price in India?
2) Supports DDR 800
3) Overclocking Options:
vCore: Adjustable CPU voltage at 0.00625V increment
- vDIMM: 2-step DRAM voltage control(P5B Delux has 13 step DRAM voltage control... how useful is this?)
SFS (Stepless Frequency Selection)
- FSB tuning from 100MHz up to 400MHz at 1MHz increment
- Memory tuning from 400MHz up to 1066MHz
- PCI Express frequency tuning from 90MHz up to 150MHz at 1MHz increment

Cons:
1) Southbridge ICH8 as opposed to ICH8R.... how important is this?
2) Heatsink is standard not as fancy as the deluxe board with copper heatsink...
3) Has memory compatibility issues (though I guess this has been fixed with the latest bios, on ASUS site it states compliant only with JEDEC compliant RAMs meaning 5-5-5 and 1.8V)
4) Probably wont overclock as well as a P5B Dlx
5) Has a cheaper Gibabit ethernet controller
6) RAID support is a joke as the RAID drive has to be connected to the external SATA port
7) IDE issues
Option 2) Asus P5B Dlx without Wifi for 175 Euros of 10150
Pros:
1) Great overclocker
2) 2 Gigabit ethernet controllers
3) ICH8R southbridge
4) Dual PCIE ports (not an adv for me as I dont intend to use crossfire)
5) Better heatsink and capacitors used (greater life)

Cons:
1) Is it worth the extra price considering I am going for E6300 and on a budget
2) Is 13 step DRAM voltage control opposed to 2 step DRAM voltage control beneficial? How much benefit can I derive?
3) Possible memory compatibility issues
4) Some customers at newegg state that it doesnt support C2D without bios flash
5) IDE issues
6) Troubles running Hard disk as AHCI

Option 3) Asus P5W DH.... for 185 Euros without accessories around 10.8k
Pros:

1) Barring Rio's experience lot of RAVE reviews at Newegg by customers and by magazines
2) The most expensive board out there with most bells and whistles
3) Has no memory compatibility issues
4) Includes Wifi
5) Almost same price as P5B deluxe without accesories

Cons:
1) Rios experience...
2) Old bios had limited options but with new bios we can increase and decrease the multiplier and touch 450 FSB as claimed by owners at newegg... however not my own experience..
3) Wont be able to get accesories like Wifi Antenna
Option 4 and Option 5: MSI P965 Platinum and Abit 9 Pro for 8.5k
So out of these three mobos which one you guys suggest?

Coming to the second option..... memory. As again I am on a tight budget so dont tell me the best out there, but recommend the best in my circumstances.

Firstly, when I increase the FSB, would the memory bus speed be increased automatically? I believe now a days these mobos have different options for memory bus speed. I also want to ensure that my memory would be compatible with my mobo. Do these mobos support over 800 Mhz RAM when OC'd ... spcly the P5B's as they claim that they can only support JEDEC thingy...???

The memories I have shortlisted:

1) GSkill 1 GB CL5 PC 2 800 1GBNQ for 127 Euros of 7.5k Rupees .... These memory doesnt overclock well and read at newegg that these might have compatibility issues, but were getting conflicting answers. Since I wont have a way to test memory mobo compatibility till I am back in India, thus its important for me to know is it worth buying 800 Mhz memory from there?

2) Other Options: 1024MB G.SKILL PC2-800 CL5 KIT F2-6400PHU2-1GBNR for 150 Euros, 1024MB Mushkin EM2-6400 PC2-800 CL5 KIT 155 Euros, 1024MB Corsair PC2-800 CL5 KIT TWIN2X1024A-6400 164 Euros These would really stretch my buget.

3) Buy Transcend RAM 667 from India at 5.5k... (is it available at this price?)... Chaos what about its overclocking potential?

Lastly coming to the GPU:

1) Palit/Expertvision 7600GT for 134 Euros or 7.5k
2) Palit/Expertvision 7900 GS for 185 Euros or 10.5k
3) Asus/Saphire/Connect 3D ATI X1950Pro for 200 Euros or 11.6 k

Important to note, options 1 and 2 dont support HDCP... I plan on using this rig as MCE for my LCD TV in the future... The ATI card supports HDCP but with DX 10 around the corner, is it really worth for me to buy a card for 200 Euros that would be outdated in 6 months?

Lastly I am planning to buy the Arctic Freeze 7 Pro CPU cooler, I heard its huge, will it fit a normal standard midi tower cabinet... any better coolers in this budget, dont have budget for Zalman... this is around 20 Euros.

I am planning on running the above setup on my local 450 Watt PSU...probably Intec.. Does it make sense to stretch budget by 1200 Rs and get a 500 Watt PSU from there?

So the most costly configuration of the above options is as follows:

E6300: 8.8k
AC Freezer Pro: 1.2k
Memory Gskill 1 GB: 7.5k
Graphic Card ATI 1950: 11.5k
Mobo Asus Dlx: 10k
-------------------------------
-------------------------------

Cheapest Config:
Asus P5B mobo: 7k
C2D 6300: 8.8k
7600 GT: 7.5k
Tracsend 1 GB 667: 5.5k
AC Freezer Pro: 1.2k
--------------------------
--------------------------

I have a budget of around 35k.... can stretch if its really worth it, but really ideal would be 35k for me. So tell me folks what to buy, what to discard, whats the best option.... Am I missing something... should I go for E6400 and go for a cheaper GPU, would transcend suffice or GSkill better... I await your responses. Thanks again!

1) Get a P5B Deluxe

2) I think you already have a 7600GS so stick with it

3) About ram, try and look for ram that works at 667 C3. Those are guaranteed D9GMH and will overclock well

4) Get a better cooler than that Arctic Freezer... its not that special. Even an XP90 will do better than it.

thks to every1 first of all :)

E6600 @ 3.6 Ghz not 24 / 7

ASUS P5W DH Delux wid new bios (sounds gud enf)

Transcend 2 gb ram ddr2

Seagate 250 gb (plz specify model if u knw something better)

2 GB Transcend DDR2 667MHz

Sony 16x DVD Writer

Antec NeoHE 500 (avail. in India?)

600w psu

Graphic card..i am just gonna stick to those couple of 7300 gs's on SLI i got during ESWC, and get a DX10 card when they come out

so...any remarks?

Go with at least 7600GT as a temporary graphics card. DDR2 Corsair Value RAM 667 has impressive overclocks and is great value ram. Will also fetch u good resale as and when u sell it. PSU Cabbie, I wait for others to comment on. But make sure your cabbies has a lot of holes :p

techcheat said:
Go with at least 7600GT as a temporary graphics card. DDR2 Corsair Value RAM 667 has impressive overclocks and is great value ram. Will also fetch u good resale as and when u sell it. PSU Cabbie, I wait for others to comment on. But make sure your cabbies has a lot of holes :p

@ chaos The P5W DH with its latest BIOS is another story altogether... In fact both the P5B-D and P5WH-DH will have memory issues as well (I got screwed trying LL corsair ddr2 800's on these two, until a BIOS update that is...

btw techcheat - you need fans moving air, not just holes mate...:p

corsair values are good... DDR2 800 should continue its all time price for awhile yet.

Back