Crashgate - Flavio and Symonds quit

vb86

Adept
The latest from the Crashgate scandal:

The Renault Formula One team issued the following press release on Wednesday:

The ING Renault F1 Team will not dispute the recent allegations made by the FIA concerning the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix.

It also wishes to state that its managing director, Flavio Briatore and its executive director of engineering, Pat Symonds, have left the team.

Before attending the hearing before the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Paris on 21 September 2009, the team will not make any further comment.

the image above is just a joke.

regarding the scandal, to keep it really short:

recently, renault sacked nelson piquet jr. he and his dad then went on to claim that last year, during the first singapore gp, he had been asked by renault to deliberately crash his car so that the safety car would come out and favour alonso. alonso went out to win that race despite qualifying 15th. he pitted really early after which piquet crashed his car.

The surprising thing for me was that Nelsinho actually had enough car control to pitch it into the wall exactly where he was told. He had a lot of crash practice that year for sure, though, so I guess it wasn't too difficult to follow that instruction.

Wonder if the team will race in 2010 at all.

Whatever is the result Nelson will land up as the biggest loser. Oh wait a sec he already is. After this incident who wants to hire him (not that anyone wanted to hire him before)? He couldn't do anything with the car except going off road or crash. So it may be a coincidence or may be he crashed on purpose due to team orders.

He is a bad driver who managed to get a seat because of his father. Now both are untouchable.

I would rather see someone like Narain who used to crash because he tried too hard in F1 than see a spoiled untalented brat crashing.

Get lost jacka$$ and give your excuses to someone who gives a damn. Being a F1 driver and paid for the task if you can't live upto it then go drive a Taxi and please don't crash it. You may be worthless but the passenger is not.

@cranky I think Flavio and Pat quit to minimize the damage for Renault.

^^And who is going to hire these 2 goons?? :)

As for Nelson i'm sure given time and non-sided treatment like he faced at Renault he could achieve great results. Mind you he was a runner up in GP2 and won many races. The problem started from day 1 when he joined Renault.

Honestly i feel sorry for the guy and i'm glad he stood his ground and came out of the closet.

Dunno about who is going to hire the goons.

As for Nelson, he didn't come out of the closet he was thrown out of the closet. If he wanted to take a stand he should have done it back then itself.

Honestly answer this question, if he wasn't thrown out of Renault would he have come clean? Else, if he was given a drive for the remainder of the season or for next year by some team would he have done this?

Good to know you feel sorry for Nelson (Atleast someone does). I am not a fan of Renault or Nelson. I am an unbiased spectator here.

I remember Ralf Schumacher was asked to let Montoya pass by the team (when both were in Williams) but he didn't. Later when he was asked why, he replied his radio wasn't working at that moment. This was when team orders legal.

i read renault might be banned for future.....dont know..whether F1 will do that seeing being cos leaving ...they might wont take chance

F1 is a sport where a lot of things happen, but most of them are kept under wraps. Piquet decided to publicize this story just to get back at Flavio for firing him. The point is, no one will be willing to hire a driver who does this. He's not a top tier driver anyway.

I guess home is where Nelson will be doing all his racing:

Im not really convinced of this after reading the radio transcipt.
I dont see any conclusive or solid evidence proving pat or flavio guilty.
After the spa statements,offering immunity to pat makes me think max is after flavio's head.

and i didnt see any sort of fuss in 94,97,02.
Another instance showing the height of hypocrisy was the black and orange flag for kubica during monza gp.
Fia at its best!

^ i agree with the radio transcript bit, but who knows, maybe flavio intentionally reacted in that way. what i dont understand is, why is he not defending himself.

regarding the black and orange flag, kubica had a damaged front wing. had that bit come off, it could have caused a lot more damage to the cars behind him.

I was merely pointing out that there were many instances where cars were allowed to race with broken bits (incl famous win for kimi at french gp),only kneejerk reactions following the massa's accident.

Back