Laptops Craziest buying suggestion thread ever

superczar

Skilled
Which one of these would you pick if you had to pick one:

Lord knows (and the old timers at TE too) that I have played around with enough laptops ranging from mid sized to ultra portable and I don't really need another one, but sigh, temptation tgets bettr of me so here goes:

So what I haven't explored so far are

a) the behemoth 17"ers

b) the Ultra-ultra mobiles (UMPCs)

So between this :

dv_9000z.jpg

(Intel 945GMS , Intel Core Solo (1.33 GHz) , Intel Core Solo (1.33 GHz) , 1 GB DDR II SDRAM , 1 GB DDR II SDRAM , 4.5 in TFT active matrix , 4.5 in TFT active matrix , Microsoft Windows Vista Business , Microsoft Windows Vista Business) and 550gms

and this:

scale.ms

Turion64

2GB RAM

160 GB HDD

17" and ~4 kgs

WHich one would you have chosen?

Now to make the choice crazier...

I could skip both, and pick a 32"LCD back home....

If the Chennai folks who have bene to my place could gimme their recommendation, would be appreciated all the more :)

No... dont take the 17"er...

It is really big. My sis has the 15.4" widescreen froim HP and the bloody thing is heavy. The battery life is also pathetic.

The Sony VAIO on the other hand looks sleek and sexy. It is not like you need an ultra-powerful lappy. If you want that, then no contest... it has to tbe the Behemoth :p

BTW, you are crazy :p. You do know that right ?? You must have more laptops than hands :p. What do you do with so many :p ?? One in the office, one in the car, one in the loo, one in the kitchen and so on :p ?? :rofl:

posted in wrong section...Thanks for moving it bottle....

The 32" LCD does make sense....but that I'll buy back home....(If i have any cash left that is)

Just that there are some crazy deals on on both the lappies I posted....

which is getting me tempted

for sosme reason, the UMPC pic got screwed..so here goes

19311.jpg

no...didn't buy,,,

getting a nice deal so getting tempted..but have absolutely no need for it...else i can skip it and buy a 32" LCD in chennai instead which is also a tempting option

superczar said:
no...didn't buy,,,
getting a nice deal so getting tempted..but have absolutely no need for it...else i can skip it and buy a 32" LCD in chennai instead which is also a tempting option
:huh:
Then please spare yourself.

If at all u r tempted to get something, don't get the UMPC. Instead u mite as well get a 17" lappy and use it as desktop replacement.

I would never suggest anyone not to buy UMPC. But buy it if you really need it because you are compromising on many things in this platform for mobility and size.

Dont u already have LG C1?? Its not this small but if thats all you need then dont bother in another dead investment if it serves no purpose.

As far as lappies goes, HP now does have nice DV series which looks great, is available in all size, shape and weight categories and I would buy it over VAIO any given day having experienced DV2500T personally.

Rock solid, light enough for 14.1''.

But yeah 17'' is not a laptop in my book, its a desktop replacement. Whoever buys laptop for bigger screen does not actually need a laptop whose main function is mobile portable PC. and these 17 inchers are absolutely pain to carry around :p

Sup...you must be nominated as our resident laptop expert :bleh: .

How do you manage your data across these multiple laptops is beyond me...also how you finance them too ;) .

A suggestion...consider selling your old laptops for half price and recycle the money. Unfortunately, a passion for laptops is akin to having a passion for cars. It's bloody expensive. I'm just grateful I don't have such a craze :p although I still feel broke :( most of the time.

i suggest the 17incher as a desktop replacement at home. so you can browse at home with a decent screen res and not have too much of a hassle when you decide to shift base ;)

you already have other lappies for portability

or if pc use is not a biggie get the larger screen and have fun with movies since you already have an a/v receiver iirc and plus you ll have more fun with the wii

sydras said:
Sup...you must be nominated as our resident laptop expert :bleh: .

He has already been nominated as such :p Where were you :p ??

@Superczar --- Didnt see the 32" LCD TV part... I would blindly vote for that.

Back