Storage Solutions crazy hard disk noise

woozydevotee

Disciple
hi
i have a 1 year old seagate baracuda 80gb hdd which i have used a lot for games and downloads and have never formatted it, and from the last couple of months i have observed that my hdd has started making this very abnormal churning sound, i know the churning sound is a normal thing, but in my case its getting weird day by day

now whenever i do anything on the screen say highlight some icons there is this churning sound if i scroll down a page i get this sound,if i switch between tabs i get this sound!!

can anyone tell me if my hdd gonna crash anytime soon? or suggest me something to resolve this problem

i would appreciate your advice

thank you

BACKUP and start RMA process.

It is within warranty (you said its 1 year old, hope, you bought it 1st-hand)

Are you sure its your HDD . not to say that it might not be your hdd . it could be something else as well .f or now i wouldk advise you to disconnect the hdd , and try a diff hdd and see if the noise repeats . it happened with me with my 1 year old sata drive and later i found out it was the rear fan which was making the noise . apparently the motor was a bit loose ,

So dont use the hdd anymore , make sure that something else is not the culprit . and if the hdd itself is making the noise , look no further , get an RMA asap .

oh man.. this thread got me worried too.

i got a seagate 300gb sata hdd which makes ticking noise when i copy or do sumthin hdd intensive,

is mine on its deathbed too :S :S :S

oh freak!!!!!!!!!!! i gotta a lot to back up, i have a 3 year warranty on this harddrive so if it dies out i will give it to the service centre and hopefully they can fix it? since i have never formatted it should i completely format all the partitions and try would that help?

and i am very sure its the hard drive as rivunited said the sound comes when we do something on the screen like copying, hilighting accessing partitions etc

buts its a shame this hdd gonna die in just a year of use

Don’t know about this issue… but my new WD harddisk also makes a ticking noise when I do something intensive…

But I was wrong it was not the harddisk it was the system speaker (inbuilt ones in the cabinent)

Disconnecting the internal PC speakers solved my problem…

Rivunited said:
oh man.. this thread got me worried too.
i got a seagate 300gb sata hdd which makes ticking noise when i copy or do sumthin hdd intensive,

is mine on its deathbed too :S :S :S

Ticking sound might just be seek noise. It may become more prominent over time. But, if it really sounds weird, or really loud, you'd better back your data up :cool2: .

Defragment the drive. Excess seek noise points to a badly fragmented drive and/or too many partitions on the same physical disk.

Clicking and other abnormal sounds (like whirring or squealing) are much more dangerous and point toward early drive failure.

Sometimes power connectors work loose and cause excessive clicking, I had this problem for some time on one of my disks (which I only use for data transfer now) and it is now toast.

sangram said:
Defragment the drive. Excess seek noise points to a badly fragmented drive and/or too many partitions on the same physical disk.

Clicking and other abnormal sounds (like whirring or squealing) are much more dangerous and point toward early drive failure.

Sometimes power connectors work loose and cause excessive clicking, I had this problem for some time on one of my disks (which I only use for data transfer now) and it is now toast.

I agree. Ticking is generally ok and is most likely excessive seek noise. Churning or grinding means that your HDD is on it's last legs and the HDD head is touching the platter. It could get worse as the head rubs onto the disk spreading magnetic particles all over neighbouring areas causing gradual seek errors and a complete failure eventually.

Back