Creating a WiFi Access Point using an USB WiFi Adapter

Amaresh

Adept
Hey guys,

One of my friends is getting an iPhone soon and he was wondering how to access the internet via WiFi on his phone from his desktop.

He is using a wired router so I came across USB WiFi adapters but it seems they can only be used to connect to an existing Wifi network - or is there a way to use those adapters to share his internet connection and setup a Wifi access point?

Or would it be best to get a cheap WiFi router, keep the existing wired modem and connect the wifi router to the PC as well...what do you guys suggest ?

I'm a noob as far as this is concerned so I couldn't help him much - so I await your replies!

I am not sure but you can create an access point using adapter, but better thing would be to get a cheap wifi router. Connect it through wire to your pc and wirelessly to iphone.

This way you wont have to keep your pc on to access net on iphone via usb adapter access point.

A cheap wifi router would be your best bet. It may be doable using a Wifi adapter in Adhoc mode, but never had a chance to try it out with the iPhone. It would just not be worth the hassle! Just pick up a Netgear WGR614 or something like that. Around 1.7k or something. I'm sure you'll find other stuff for less than that.

^ yes.

Also, You CAN create an ad-hoc connection with the USB adapter but that's recommended if you already have a USB wifi adapter because buying it instead of a dedicated Wireless AP will not be wise IMHO.

Back