Storage Solutions Crucial MX500 (If purchased in 2021/22)Owners - Need Help

Slayer88

Adept
Hi All,

@sanjeevram and I got 2 1TB Crucial SSDs from Amazon last month and they have been working fine. However, I noticed the drive does not show any readings like health, temps, read/write in HWINFO. You typically get readings for all drives, even old HDDs.

The drive shows fine in CrystalDisk Info. But when I download the Crucial Drive Management tool that lets you see the info, do FW updates, etc. It shows up when I just launch the application and then it randomly disappears. Upon Googling, i found that a few other users with this issue uninstalling an older version of the software fixes this, so i downloaded a few versions older, and it's fixed, the drive no longer disappears, but a strange thing is, it says "Firmware Error" and when I try to update it, it throws an error. This too appears to be happening with other users.

I know the easiest thing would be to ask @sanjeevram which i did, but he appears to be busy and i thought i'd ask one of you guys. One guy on Reddit says he was talking to Crucial support and they said no new updates are available but that's actually not accurate. See below from the Crucial site

"A number of MX500 drives were shipped with Firmware Revision M3CR043 or M3CR044. These revisions are not applicable to drives which shipped with previous firmware revisions."

We are both on the M3CR043 firmware. The M3CR044 fw file is NOT available for download. The Error i get when on the update page is below; Java - updated, system date and time is fine. This error too is something other users have faced.

“sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path validation failed: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: validity check failed”

Any ideas? The drive appears to be working fine so no reall issue there, but not being able to see it in HWINFO and the "Firmware Error" is a bit worrisome and annoying.

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-04 at 11.38.35 AM.jpeg

TIA.

If it shows under warranty, you shouldn't be worried.
Yea man.. but downtime and energy to go through RMA's is of the essence. Will wait for @sanjeevram to get back to me and decide my next steps, as of now, i have had another weird issue develop on my hands. Will create a new thread for that shortly. Thanks for your reply, though!

Have been busy today. Just reached home and the SSD is in another pc which is Packed in a suitcase as of now. Will take till tomorrow evening to confirm the same.
Sorry for the delay...

Word of advise, don't try to fix something which is not broken. If it works fine, let it work until it's broken. You have the warranty from the manufacturer so just RMA it if it gives you trouble later, nothing to worry about.
If it's triggering OCD then just RMA it. Time is worth more than spending it on a non-issue, at least for me.

Word of advise, don't try to fix something which is not broken. If it works fine, let it work until it's broken. You have the warranty from the manufacturer so just RMA it if it gives you trouble later, nothing to worry about.
If it's triggering OCD then just RMA it. Time is worth more than spending it on a non-issue, at least for me.
Hmm..agree that's by main reason for not going ahead with the RMA. Also, now with my GPU issues (seperate thread) that have suddenly crept up after I posted this, I now have bigger fish to fry

Dang I bought 2 mx500 SSDs recently... A 1tb and a 2tb and using them with rpi4 and nuc both running latest ubuntu.

Haven't noticed anything amiss but haven't even check for firmware version or update yet.

So today Sanjeev got back to me with screenshots showing his drive working as expected. Since my main system is down due to a GPU issue I thought let's plug the MX500 into my NUC and see if the issue persists there too.. and guess what? Everything works as expected. On the Crucial SSD software v 7.12 the drive shows up perfectly with no 'Firmware errors' and In HWInfo64 it shows stats just fine. Turns out the latest firmware doesn't play well with certain motherboard Sata controllers!! Anway, 1 less problem in my life! Thanks Sanjeev and all who helped.

So today Sanjeev got back to me with screenshots showing his drive working as expected. Since my main system is down due to a GPU issue I thought let's plug the MX500 into my NUC and see if the issue persists there too.. and guess what? Everything works as expected. On the Crucial SSD software v 7.12 the drive shows up perfectly with no 'Firmware errors' and In HWInfo64 it shows stats just fine. Turns out the latest firmware doesn't play well with certain motherboard Sata controllers!! Anway, 1 less problem in my life! Thanks Sanjeev and all who helped.
Bro i hava same issue,

Back