Storage Solutions CRUCIAL P1 500GB or WD SN550

Dear Members.

Need help which buy urgent

or

WD SN550
western digital is reliable brand moreover it has faster read speed (as per company's specifications). when compared with crucial.

I was in the same boat and just ordered a SN550 today itself, SN550 is going for 4770 post 10% discount vs. 4500 for the P1.
The 500GB Crucial one is cheaper but a bad deal in comparison, even though the P1 has DRAM cache (which the SN550 doesn't) the speeds on the P1 reduce considerably as you fill it up and at 75% full it ends up being slower than regular SATA SSD's.
Like @Chaos already said, QLC has lesser endurance, the WD has 300TB vs. 100TB on the P1 which is still a good thing to have even if it'll take you forever to reach either TBW level.

TBH you won't notice any real world difference between QLC/TLC or the mainstream SATA drives like the 860 EVO/MX500 against the budget NVMe drives except in synthetic benchmarks, but for the same price of a MX500 or P1 the SN550 definitely is the better choice and I say it as a fan of Crucial products.
The MX500 is overall a more consistent drive but nowadays since the price difference is little to none, it's better to opt for the vfm NVMe options.

The best low end nvme drives are sn550 and a2000. Former is dramless but has very good optimization. The latter has a dram cache but isn't as well optimized in firmware.

Is SN550 performance also comparable to P2 or better, getting P2 for 5500 (excluding discounts)

It has the same problem, looks like the 500GB one is QLC albeit with higher endurance of 300TB.

Edit: Looks like P2 does come with TLC unlike stated in the spreadsheet (no DRAM cache thg). I did look at the P2 before settling down but the drive performance varied a lot for some users hence I avoided it.
I also went through a lot of this user's sub, the guy knows his SSD's. - https://www.reddit.com/r/NewMaxx/?count=50&after=t3_j9x8yx
Thing is prices are inflated big time for us and NVMe drives get faster with higher capacities, performance at 500GB or lower is a bit sketchy and from all the reading the SN550 was the clear winner at the price it's available at for now.
With NVMe's gaining mass adoption and pci-e 4 gen drives getting faster, either you spend more and get something like the ADATA SX8200 Pro for now or stick to some vfm options with higher endurance.

Last edited:
Had one slot available, currently running OS drive with this one; was looking for another option. I guess buying the previous one (either 250 or 500 one will be much better), but now I have an option.

Dear Members.

Need help which buy urgent
WD SN550 is the choice here. It is example how DRAM-less SSDs should be optimized.

I also went through a lot of this user's sub, the guy knows his SSD's. - https://www.reddit.com/r/NewMaxx/?count=50&after=t3_j9x8yx
Yes, this guy has grip on quite in-depth technicality. On Reddit, I have seen people tagging him for any new/relatively unknown SSD and this guy has good info. He also has a PDF and flowchart for recommendation - https://ssd.borecraft.com/

Does it make sense to buy a 500gb SATA drive right now? The Nvme drive's are priced very close but my system does not support NVME :(
Also, between MX500 , WD Blue, and 860 Evo (500gb models all), can any of them sustain continuous writes at max SATA speed (500 mb/s) to the full capacity or do I have to buy the 1 TB version for that? I have problems finding reviews with data about sustained writes for 500gb models.

Does it make sense to buy a 500gb SATA drive right now? The Nvme drive's are priced very close but my system does not support NVME :(
Also, between MX500 , WD Blue, and 860 Evo (500gb models all), can any of them sustain continuous writes at max SATA speed (500 mb/s) to the full capacity or do I have to buy the 1 TB version for that? I have problems finding reviews with data about sustained writes for 500gb models.
Most sane thing to do is use a different ssd for your os and don't store anything in it. On the secondary ssd do the writing and all, as far as i have read and herad from my pals (not used), refrain from filling your ssd more than 75% ever.

Yup I already have a drive for OS. This will be for writing/ reading data and I don't want it to drop from 500mb/s to ~200mb/s midway when (for example) copying a 70 gig file due to limited SLC cache or whatever it's called.

Back