CS: Source Graphics(Problem?) with 4850

Hey guys, recently shifted to an MSI 4850 from an 8800gt.. the settings i always play are at 1024x768 with everything turned down and high brightness.. I've attached the screenies with the 4850.. everything in game seems to be foggy and really annoying.. see the screenies when i'm looking into the tunnel..
I've already re-installed game, tried custom cfg's, re-installed OS:)ashamed: ).. but nothing seemed to help.. even changed the drivers to an older version.. currently using 8.12
Please lemme know as to what I'm doing wrong.. The other games run very fine without similar problems..

hl22009-01-1412-07-54-50.jpg

hl22009-01-1412-09-25-45.jpg

hl22009-01-1412-09-28-92.jpg

Can't see anything n get killed everytime i jump across :|
hl22009-01-1412-09-33-39.jpg

hl22009-01-1412-10-03-43.jpg

Don't worry, that's what the game actually looks like.
CS - now with fog :p.

You might want to try turning up the texture detail though. Maybe it's the higher mips on the fog particles making them appear extra foggy.

Nope, it's a bug with the ATi Cards. More off, like a feature. ATi Cards actually bother rendering fog (More like a Dust Storm) but bring in Nvidia Cards and they are nowhere to be seen. No matter what quality...

If you want to remove the fog then start the Game in -dx8 mode to remove it completely. Hardly any difference considering you are already playing the Game on such low quality which is still not justified yet... Game looks really good on high detail...

2 b frank.. i srsly i dont see any prblem in taht foggy CS.. when i played on my card i was same on old 86gt and new 8800gt :S...doesnt really matter and if you wana get rid of the fogs.. just use the command give by the other member or use DX8 mode.. Anyway.. its not that bad that you cant see your opponent while shooting :S

How do i start it in DX8 mode? and floccy, fog_enable is only possible when cheats are enabled.. :(

with the 8800gt i couldn't see the fog which is exactly wat i need when playing multiplayer.. and it makes a difference as to whether u get killed first or kill first.. =(

F|0ccY said:
mat_dxlevel 80, though some servers with zblock kick people for using that dx level.

None of the Servers kick for DX8 because in CSS there is hardly any difference between DX9 and DX8 except for the annoying fog and shiny floors, it's a zBlock thing. DX7 is kick because you can see through boxes or doors with that.

As far as I remember, go to CSS launch options Right Click -> Properties -> Set Launch Options -> "-dxlevel 81" with the "'s off course. You will have to change it in Video Options later.

Hey yall

I got an asus 4850 and came from 8800 gts the fog is no fun , should see the warehouse in de_Nuke. Ther could be 8 CT's in upper loft and wouldn't see em :S

sathyanaidu said:
Hey guys, recently shifted to an MSI 4850 from an 8800gt.. the settings i always play are at 1024x768 with everything turned down and high brightness.. I've attached the screenies with the 4850.. everything in game seems to be foggy and really annoying.. see the screenies when i'm looking into the tunnel..
I've already re-installed game, tried custom cfg's, re-installed OS:)ashamed: ).. but nothing seemed to help.. even changed the drivers to an older version.. currently using 8.12
Please lemme know as to what I'm doing wrong.. The other games run very fine without similar problems..

LOL double post

Hey sathyanaidu
Looked into this abit and
You aint going crazy mate the game is all wrong with the 4850/4*** cards and according to ATI wont really ever be fixed. The Dust 2 and Nuke maps are shocking on any ATI card above 2*** as they wont dither 16 bit textures. As for some of the other posts saying that is normal CS:S ...I can only LOL..... Really it doesnt happen on Nvidia and older ATI's so maybe they dont know left from right or are just posting to annoy you about a specific ATI CS:S problem. CS:S shouldnt look like that!

The only way u will get rid of the thick fog is run in dx81 (improvement)or simply sell it and buy a nvidia card.

Back