Ctrl+alt+del

my computers havin lot of trouble first it was a trojan virus which i think i removed it but now if i press CTRL+ALT+DEL the task manager wont open any suggestions:huh: :huh: :huh: :S

which operating system are you using.
Secondly, is the taskmanager option blurred out?

Generally, in Win 2k and XP,
Login with the admin account.
Run Regedit, access the hive, locate the key below and set the value as per what is required which is set the value to 0.
Code:
Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER 
Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System 
Name: DisableTaskMgr 
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1=Enablethis key, that is DISABLE TaskManager
Value: 0=Disablethis key, that is Don't Disable, Enable TaskManager

DISCLAIMER:
If you are not too comfortable with editing the registry, please donot try this. Ask someone who is knowldgeable to do it for you.
It is always suggested that you take a backup of the registry before you attempt this.
Donot touch any other keys that is, dont edit, add or delete any other keys.
Also, neither am I nor TE responsible for any undesired effects caused by the above steps.

XTerminator said:
DISCLAIMER:
If you are not too comfortable with editing the registry, please donot try this. Ask someone who is knowldgeable to do it for you.
It is always suggested that you take a backup of the registry before you attempt this.
Donot touch any other keys that is, dont edit, add or delete any other keys.
Also, neither am I nor TE responsible for any undesired effects caused by the above steps.

nice disclaimer i have edited my registry before so its ok.
and registry is my second problem i have another runnin about my registry problem http://www.techenclave.com/forums/registry-problem-10125.html so if you think the two are connected u could merge the threads.

also now i have another problem ie now whenever i double click on my drive it opens the backup option for the drive and also when i double click any folder then the folder is opened in the dos prompt...:huh:
this problem occured after i tried changing my drive and folder icons...:(

if u r using win xp or 2003 then u can get taskmanager by pressing ctrl+shift+Esc

Good find.

Thanks for the info, though irrelevant to the topic being discussed in here .

well this problem is because of a file type action that should be deleted out of the registry, I will show u how and where to go to delet this file type action
by the way, u may have encountered this problem by messing around in the control panel>folder options>file types>advanced button area!

To check and see if u created a "action" and it is messing up your computer do this->
1.open up the registry by clicking
start->run-> then type regedit.exe and hit ok
2. double click HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and scroll down to "directory"
3. double click "directory" and then double click "shell"
4. if there is anything listed in shell other than a find folder then u created it
and u need to delete it. Just dont delete the find folder and everything in it though, that is suppose to be there!, KEEP THE FIND FOLDER, DELETE EVERY THING ELSE UNDER SHELL!
Problem is now fixed, close regedit and right click on the desktop and choose refresh and now try clicking on a folder and it will open and display the folders contents like it is supposed to!

Hope this works for folders...

rtshiva said:
i m not as geeky as many of u guys but here's my suggestion
if u r using win xp or 2003 then u can get taskmanager by pressing ctrl+shift+Esc

tht's something new!!!
thnks for the info dude.

Back