FS: Others Cupboard Clearance- Some technology relics/Some useful :)

Ah, I see, anyhow, while I was checking the chipsets, I found 2 links on reddit that you might find informative:
Original reddit thread
link1
link 2

Link 1 says its better (for bandwidth and stability reasons) to use a SAS HBA instead of a SATA HBA (the PCIe SATA expansion card we were talking about)
(SAS is the server counterpart of SATA from what I looked up)

If going for SATA HBA/ PCie SATA expansion cards, go for ASmedia chipset instead of Marvell ones (no mention of VIA)
and,
If going for the ASMedia chipset choose one with 2 ports as the ones with higher number of ports basically divides the bandwidth and have stability issues.

A SAS HBA with two ports, can connect a total of 2 SAS HDD or 8 SATA HDD (4 SATA per SAS port) without bandwidth /stability issues.

Another thing to keep in mind would be the PCIe slot, the SAS HBA ones need PCIe slot with more lanes, on ebay, the ones I found seem to use PCIe x8 (not specified, assumption from the pics)
The PCie SATA cards with ASM can fit into PCIe x1

Also found that SAS HBA can be fit into PCIe x4 or x1 by using an adaptor or cutting the PCie slot :rolleyes: but bandwidth would suffer I guess (depending on how many HDDs you connect?). Refer the link below
Reddit: SAS HBA on a PCIE x1 slot,

The amazon link I mentioned in the previous comment has good reviews, the only things reviewers mention is that the drives get recognised as external drives and on older mobos, might need to install ASM drivers so I guess it has an ASmedia chipset.

Here is the link to the ebay one(PCIe SATA) with 4 ports, description says it has ASMedia chipset (costs around 1300rs)
Ebay PCie SATA

Here is a link for the "LSI SAS HBA"
Ebay SAS HBA

Back