Custom duty for importing gaming consoles?

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
Quick question, is the customs for importing gaming consoles really 28%? Can someone confirm?

@iPwnz - Apologies for hijacking your track but I have a question on similar lines.

I imported a mi controller alongwith a stereo male to female cable from Gearbest a few months back. The total was somewhere around 1.8K+ or so and I was charged a customs of around bringing the total cost to around 2.1K.

Yesterday another package arrived which consisted of a controller that costed around 3.3K and including the shipping over 3.6K from Play-Asia. This time I was charged no customs and I seriously was praying it wouldn't attract customs.

On a similar note a while back (2 months back or so) Wintel box purchased by @Party Monger attracted heavy customs which was ordered from Ali Express I think.

I was talking to him yesterday about this and was trying to make sense about how these guys filter the packages. If I disregard Party's case since it is a different device and probably falls under a different category as per the guys at customs then - in my case both packages had game controllers but of different values but the one with lower price tag attracted customs. Party also mentioned that there were some talks about exemption of upto 50K but I thought that it was not still not the rule.

Now if it has been put in place as a rule then rejoice @iPwnz because I think it automatically answers your question. If not then I don't understand the pattern apart from the fact that these guys target stuff coming in from China and that is just my speculation.

What do you guys make of it?

You can check for the notification of 50k limit on TE itself . If you're in Mumbai or whereever the customs is assessed for your region, you can go and bribe them. The guy asked me to send representative 4-5 times with the intention to get a bribe in return for zero duty. (charged 1800)
But these customs idiots might not even know of this notification. I sent them the same on email multiple times. They will just act ignorant.

Your problem is, if its charged to customs, and its an item that's subject to import license, then it will be charged at 42% penal rate cause you don't have a license. If they adhere to the notification and your goods value is less than 50k then you will be charged normal rate of customs that you mentioned.

Customs duty is 42% for things which cost more than Rs 2,000 below RS 2,000 it's duty-free and you'll need a credit card for payment when buying from sites not based in India.
Also,foreign currency transaction ($ to Rs) attracts markup charges, which is 3.5% of the transaction amount plus applicable government service tax 15%.
You'll have to pay from 2,000Rs to 5,000Rs more depending upon size and weight of the item as shipping charges.
Total:42+15+3.5=60.5% more than orignal price

hello guys 3 of my friends are going to thailand to get the ps vr on 13 oct, is it possible to get this without paying customs ?

hello guys 3 of my friends are going to thailand to get the ps vr on 13 oct, is it possible to get this without paying customs ?

Put them in check-in bag without boxes and on Mumbai airport, check-in bags are generally not checked that religiously, provided you have a cabin bag and backpack.

Customs duty is 42% for things which cost more than Rs 2,000 below RS 2,000 it's duty-free and you'll need a credit card for payment when buying from sites not based in India.
Also,foreign currency transaction ($ to Rs) attracts markup charges, which is 3.5% of the transaction amount plus applicable government service tax 15%.
You'll have to pay from 2,000Rs to 5,000Rs more depending upon size and weight of the item as shipping charges.
Total:42+15+3.5=60.5% more than orignal price

I doubt if one can just sum up all the rates. May be, 15% ST would be on 3.5% of currency conversion charge.

screencapture-mail-google-mail-u-0-1475761616177.png
[DOUBLEPOST=1475771269][/DOUBLEPOST]I know that there would hyperinflation if 1INR=1$

Last edited:
I wonder if the 15% ST is on the 3.5%(of the total purchase amount) or on the total purchase amount itself?
Why don't you call them and ask them about it?
They also have a toll-free number.
The information presented by you is wrong.
Firstly 42% duty will not be charged as that limit has been raised from 2000 to 50000. You can only be charged customs duty on electronic items which is around 28.xx% + CVD ( equivalent of VAT, usually 4-5%)
The 15% service charge and other cess are only charged on the conversion charges which range from 2-3.5% depending upon the card one uses for payment. These are charged by bank and not custom officials. One can even use PayPal for payment and get charged in Indian currency by paying PayPal's rate.

I bought a controller from play-asia.com on 1/9/2016. Price: $115; Shipping: $78. A customs duty of $80 was levied which comes to 42% of (115+78).

I bought a controller from play-asia.com on 1/9/2016. Price: $115; Shipping: $78. A customs duty of $80 was levied which comes to 42% of (115+78).
You need to challenge their valuation and send them a copy of the latest DGFT notification and make them change the duties levied.
However, most people don't want to waste more time for 10-14% as it does take some effort to make them heed the laws, which is ironical considering that is their job.

You need to challenge their valuation and send them a copy of the latest DGFT notification and make them change the duties levied.
However, most people don't want to waste more time for 10-14% as it does take some effort to make them heed the laws, which is ironical considering that is their job.
They have no idea of the change. When I sent them, got no reply. If you are in the same city you can go and tell. Or just bribe them lol

I am sorry for providing outdated information.:fearscream:
Here,this will clear many things up "http://www.labnol.org/india/custom-import-duties/19306/".
I also agree with the 15% ST is charged on the 3.5% of the price of the item.
So that would make it 28.852% of X +3.5% of X +15% of 3.5%, where X= Accessed value of item including shipping charges.
Or you could get the computer completely assembled then get it imported to India this way you will only be charged 14.712% as customs duty.[DOUBLEPOST=1475948110][/DOUBLEPOST]But there might be some warranty issues since you will not be having the invoice for each component.

Last edited:
I am sorry for providing outdated information.:fearscream:
Here,this will clear many things up "http://www.labnol.org/india/custom-import-duties/19306/".
I also agree with the 15% ST is charged on the 3.5% of the price of the item.
So that would make it 28.852% of X +3.5% of X +15% of 3.5%, where X= Accessed value of item including shipping charges.
Or you could get the computer completely assembled then get it imported to India this way you will only be charged 14.712% as customs duty.[DOUBLEPOST=1475948110][/DOUBLEPOST]But there might be some warranty issues since you will not be having the invoice for each component.
What if I get my friend assemble my pc there and then get it shipped here? Will I still be charged 14.71% ?[DOUBLEPOST=1478104645][/DOUBLEPOST]And how will they determine the value of fully assembled pc since there would be no invoice?

Back