Graphic Cards Custom duty

reoparker

Disciple
hi all.......help me please......i bought this XFX GTX 260 frm SP road(bangalore)... which was 55nm......but due to sm strange noise i returned it rashi peripherals......after 14 days they gave a new one but it ws 65nm sayn dat 55nm is not der......but i refused to take that 1 as i wanted the 55nm only.....so they contacted xfx pine group n said dat 55nm is not available n can only give GTX 285 (provided i send the card to hong kong....(warranty on new card wl be provided by rashi only...) so i sent the card to hong kong.......n 2day it has reached bangalore......but sm fedex guy called me n said sir u hv to pay custom duty of Rs.1500:huh: so i want to know am i liable to pay that or xfx should pay that????? how the custom duty rule applies to RMA product??? plz reply....

You'll have to pay the duty since it was your card that was sent for RMA.
Rs1500 isn't much of a cost for an upgrade to 285.

Gannu said:
Lol just pay the damn thing and grab it ASAP! :p

But honestly this's to be born by RashiIINM.

true,but by chance if rashi had not got any stock GTX260 or if nvidia would have called it GTX260+ then i guess they would have given him the GTX285 for no charge

Legally, its not an actual import. You are receiving back the product you have sent for RMA, so there should not be any customs on it. I am just talking here on the logic, check with someone who is an expert in customs law.

Edit:
Found this on the Indian Customs site
4. Where the indigenously manufactured goods are exported for repair and returned without claiming any benefits as provided in the said notification, duty is to be paid on a value comprising fair cost of repairs including cost of materials used in repairs, insurance and freight charges both ways.

It means that you are liable to pay Customs to the extent of value of repairs :p

In your case, you have to pay the duty for the difference of value (your earlier card and the new one), it might be less than what customs have claimed now, but no use fighting, wasting your time for little money.
Better pay the duty and collect it. :D

why u want 55nm ? :p 65nm one runs cooler , has better quality parts and supports voltage tuning also . 55nm was made by nvidia to reduce the costs :p

but 1500 for upgrade to 285 is a steal .

gmano said:
Legally, its not an actual import. You are receiving back the product you have sent for RMA, so there should not be any customs on it. :D

But sending a card for RMA is not an export (AFAIK) and why should he charged duty for that?

Ya if your product was damaged and gone for RMA u shd not paid a penny...i have receive products from US as gift or damaged product returned type......They have to mention on product that the stuff was send for replacement...but since u r being charged i guess it havent been mentioned...

But since wht i get is its some totatlly new product and much better than your older one.....ppl suggesting (especially gannu)to pay wont b a bad option also...

Back