Android Customizing the Nexus 5

Post your custom ROM experiences guys. I have had the phone for almost 6 weeks and have crack-flashing for the last 3 of them. In my opinion the perfect blend of stability and simplicity has been Purity Rom and SlimKat. Also Can't recommend Mahdi Rom enough, its stable ( doesnt support ART completely) and offers tons of customization. I know most of you are happy being on stock kitkat or have taken the Xposed route. But the ability to tweak, thats comes in built in is much more stable. I have also tinkered around with kernels. (Running franco atm) If anyone's interested i might post my experiences about them here too. :D

Post your custom ROM experiences guys. I have had the phone for almost 6 weeks and have crack-flashing for the last 3 of them. In my opinion the perfect blend of stability and simplicity has been Purity Rom and SlimKat. Also Can't recommend Mahdi Rom enough, its stable ( doesnt support ART completely) and offers tons of customization. I know most of you are happy being on stock kitkat or have taken the Xposed route. But the ability to tweak, thats comes in built in is much more stable. I have also tinkered around with kernels. (Running franco atm) If anyone's interested i might post my experiences about them here too. :D

My Experiments:

- Cataclysm ROM
- AOKP
- AOSPA
- CM11
- Stock with Xposed
- Cataclysm with Xposed
- Franco
- ElementalX

For me, most important was stability+battery life, and I would say, best was stock+Xposed+Franco. But then, franco has got some bugs with headphones noise with his latest r34 and camera and memory leaks issues so ditched that setup. Previously used cataclysm+Xposed+Franco and I think that was the best setup for me ever. There were some problems like after a reboot the navigation buttons size was coming back to 100% , before I had it to 70% and ofc as cataclysm's dev is stopped so no bugs fix. Ditched that aswell. Tried ElementalX with stock/cataclysm and lovely setup as well , great performance but not much of battery life. Ditched that aswell. Then comes CM11 and with their shitty CAF patches, franco wouldn't work. I would say AOKP was really nice with their full kitkat themed white/grey theme. They had much features as well but being a flashaholic , ditched it and started checking more options. Now I'm with AOSPA , flashed it just yesterday. Keeping myself away from franco/Xposed for now to see what performance this ROM has and what it will give after applying franco's kernel to it. AOSPA is good and pie is delicious but many many features are still not merged, though I trust on PA team and surely they will give more features ahead. That why it's called "Development". I have tried like tons of mods as well. Candyshop at XDA is just amazing, and many other headphone/speakers mods. Franco's display color app/FKU is amazing aswell. I have one more mod , i.e Motorola Gallery, it's amazing and so much better than the old-school Gallery which Google gives, I'm sure Google will ditch it aswell in near future.

My Experiments:

- Cataclysm ROM
- AOKP
- AOSPA
- CM11
- Stock with Xposed
- Cataclysm with Xposed
- Franco
- ElementalX

For me, most important was stability+battery life, and I would say, best was stock+Xposed+Franco. But then, franco has got some bugs with headphones noise with his latest r34 and camera and memory leaks issues so ditched that setup. Previously used cataclysm+Xposed+Franco and I think that was the best setup for me ever. There were some problems like after a reboot the navigation buttons size was coming back to 100% , before I had it to 70% and ofc as cataclysm's dev is stopped so no bugs fix. Ditched that aswell. Tried ElementalX with stock/cataclysm and lovely setup as well , great performance but not much of battery life. Ditched that aswell. Then comes CM11 and with their shitty CAF patches, franco wouldn't work. I would say AOKP was really nice with their full kitkat themed white/grey theme. They had much features as well but being a flashaholic , ditched it and started checking more options. Now I'm with AOSPA , flashed it just yesterday. Keeping myself away from franco/Xposed for now to see what performance this ROM has and what it will give after applying franco's kernel to it. AOSPA is good and pie is delicious but many many features are still not merged, though I trust on PA team and surely they will give more features ahead. That why it's called "Development". I have tried like tons of mods as well. Candyshop at XDA is just amazing, and many other headphone/speakers mods. Franco's display color app/FKU is amazing aswell. I have one more mod , i.e Motorola Gallery, it's amazing and so much better than the old-school Gallery which Google gives, I'm sure Google will ditch it aswell in near future.

Since you liked Cataclysm, I'd recommend Purity to you.I am also looking forward to a stable PA release. Although that still looks a couple of months away considering they are re-writing everything from scratch.Halo, now called Hover hasn't been implemented yet. The 4.1 beta came with their new pie controls. There are a couple roms following the kitchen sink approach, AOSB comes to mind. They have thrown in literally every custom rom feature out there. And the experience is a little jittery. Vanir follows a similar approach and comes with its own shortcomings. I've never really been a fan of CM especially because of its lack of kernel compatibility. You're right about elementalx's short battery life. That has been a major issue with Nexus 5. I am on franco r33 + slimkat +art currently and with FKU per app modes and other settings i get around 5+ hours of SOT. Of course thats depends on my usage. Now anyone looking for amazing performance on their Nexus I'd recommend flashing Trinity Kernel. Purity ROM + Trinity Kernel + ART is a performance beast!! The thing just flies! The battery takes a hit though. But its comparable to what i got on stock. Of course the colour profiles with FKU is just amazing. The screen looks so much better now and the colours are accurate (I am using a profile called Vomer_Balanced and my Gamma values are close to 2.2) I also tried Faux's Gamma Control App but franco's solution is simpler :p. I keep swtiching between Purity, Carbon and Slimkat. They have been my preferred choice.

Since you liked Cataclysm, I'd recommend Purity to you.I am also looking forward to a stable PA release. Although that still looks a couple of months away considering they are re-writing everything from scratch.Halo, now called Hover hasn't been implemented yet. The 4.1 beta came with their new pie controls. There are a couple roms following the kitchen sink approach, AOSB comes to mind. They have thrown in literally every custom rom feature out there. And the experience is a little jittery. Vanir follows a similar approach and comes with its own shortcomings. I've never really been a fan of CM especially because of its lack of kernel compatibility. You're right about elementalx's short battery life. That has been a major issue with Nexus 5. I am on franco r33 + slimkat +art currently and with FKU per app modes and other settings i get around 5+ hours of SOT. Of course thats depends on my usage. Now anyone looking for amazing performance on their Nexus I'd recommend flashing Trinity Kernel. Purity ROM + Trinity Kernel + ART is a performance beast!! The thing just flies! The battery takes a hit though. But its comparable to what i got on stock. Of course the colour profiles with FKU is just amazing. The screen looks so much better now and the colours are accurate (I am using a profile called Vomer_Balanced and my Gamma values are close to 2.2) I also tried Faux's Gamma Control App but franco's solution is simpler :p. I keep swtiching between Purity, Carbon and Slimkat. They have been my preferred choice.

Will surely try Purity. Yes, excited for Hover aswell. Will never be going for AOSB as it's base is CM11. :p Franco r32 I think is the best. Thoughfranco now is writing the whole kernel from scratch as he implemented alot stuff for CAF on r33 and that probably ****ed the kernel up, so he is gonna take his sweet time, until then I'm so waiting for that update. I used to get 7hrs+ SoT with cataclysm+Xposed+r32 but not anymore, it's not stable like this so went for PA. I know about Trinity LOL, man! 4 cores working all the time will surely make the phone warm alot, and not to forget the battery life. Yes it's the best in performance though, probably for power users or probably for someone who bought the Zerolemon battery, they will love trinity. I'm using Vomer_AMOLED :p I know .... too much saturated, but I guess that's what my eyes like, as every display is different and every eyes are different.

CM11+ elemental with stock settings (No O/C or undervolting) gives me smooth performance with 5hrs SOT. Stock CM kernel gives 5+hrs SOT too but scrolling is a bit jittery due to conservative settings.

Flatro looks awesome. Currently I am using Belle UI Icon Pack.
uploadfromtaptalk1398764383677.jpg

Nah. Did not like it from screenshots.

Can you please post one if you are using?

sure , here you go. I have changed quite a bit. My app drawer opens with gestures courtesy of Nova Launcher. And The icons are from flatro pack but I have changed them as the default ones were alright. The changed ones are from flatro aswell.

Screenshot_2014_04_29_15_42_22_1.png

Screenshot_2014_04_29_15_42_37_1.png
[DOUBLEPOST=1398766752][/DOUBLEPOST]
Flatro looks awesome. Currently I am using Belle UI Icon Pack.
View attachment 39906

Hey, your icon packs look alright, but don't mind me saying this , why ugly navigation bar? and what is up with battery icon not being in line with other icons?

Back