[Cycling] : Availability of spares for these new 'hi tech' bikes.

PoBoy

Skilled
My cousin bought a cycle for his 5-year old daughter. She's learned to ride it quite well now. Till now he would have to run behind her. lol. He's now got the cycling bug and would like to get a cycle for himself. He lives in Goa so he will be using it on paved roads and bumpy grounds. Not more than say 2-3 km per day.

What he wants to know is will spares be available after like 2 -3 years for a modern geared cycle, e.g. Montra Helicon or Blues. For example if he needs a new tyre/tube etc.

I myself have been using a BSA SLR Photon (the original with Al rims) for 20 years. Never had problems finding spares/replacements for anything. When I took it (and the orig bill) to the shop I bought it from a few months back, the owner, was shocked and pleased that I was still using it.

EDIT : I noticed that many of the Montra cycles are marked "Discontinued". What does that really mean? I won't get spares/service for those ?

If I spend ~ 15K for something I would like to use if 'forever'.

Last edited:
Discontinued means that particular model has been removed from production for a new series. New model might have different paint design or some such minor modifications. You will get spare tires since changing tyre size or other basic things everytime would be costly.

Back