D-link wireless card acting up

jalsa777

Disciple
I have a ASUS wl-520G router that i use as my AP.

Its working perfectly fine. Can connect my N95 to it without a problem. :hap2:

The problem lies with a D-Link DWL-G510 PCI wireless adapter.

I want my PC to access the AP wirelessly too.
I installed this adapter and it shows up as a network card.

But it just fails to detect my AP. ( 99% of the time)
only 1 in 100 attmepts it is able to detect :mad:

And all this when my AP is lying next to my PC, so no range problems here.:S

Please help me, i think this adapter is a piece of crap

Make sure there's at least 1 meter or more distance between the PC and the router. There's usually an approximately half meter dead spot around the router where you won't be able to see the wireless network.

Also, try changing the channel on the router. Are you using WinXP on the wireless PC? Are you using the D-Link wireless utility that came with the card??

thanx a ton buddy :clap:

changed the channel and moved the router away and it connects flawlessly.

yes, i m using XP and the utility that came with it.

drifting slightly off-topic:
i want to buy a USB wi-fi dongle for my old laptop,
which one do u suggest??

Glad I could help. My roommate is using a D-Link USB adapter and he's got absolutely no problems connecting to my WGR614 which is two rooms away. I think the model number is DWL-G122. Not sure though, and can't check right now since I'm at work. I can check and post back later.

The speeds you're getting for the signal strength are decent enough. If you get a better signal, you'll get better speeds. Try different channels again. Some other channels might give you better signal strength. Also, keep the router at a higher level since the signals travel better from a higher location to a lower location. Avoid keeping the router on a metal cupboard or something like that.

Back