Audio DAC discussion

Superfrag said:
Trial and error, and other people impressions. For example, I think my AKG's are better used with a good SS amp, such as a Dynalo based amp (Gilmore Lite etc), but A900 definitely sound beautiful out of a tube amp.
My understadning was keep the player+amp+ DAC as neutral as possible and play around with the speakers or headphones. Now reason I asked that question, is that amps usually are neutral. But the two classes of amp you mentioned SS & Tubes certainly do have their own personality which will affect the choice of latter stages.

Why is it that the AKG's work better with SS, you mention Dynalo, but could the same be said for any other SS amp within Dynalo's range ?

Same Q applies to the tube + A900. Other tub amps ought to be compatible with the A900 for the same reason, right ?

How would you describe the sound of those 4 pieces of kit maybe it would become more clear why they work better in certain combo's than others :)

You could definitely keep the DAC and Amp as neutral as possible.

AKG's will work better with SS cause its easier for them to deliver the amount of power the AKG needs.. other amps in the same price range such as the C2 and Canamp also do a good job FWIR.

My tube amp is a transformer coupled amp, thus it can drive low impedance headphones as well, other tube amps, if they are OTL amps won't be able to do as well with the AT's.

A good TC tube amp won't have the normal warm and lush characteristics that a OTL tube amp has, it will be more balanced, but still be able to drive the cans brilliantly(more than the OTL, if the cans are low impedance.)

A good SS amp will be able to provide good power and be more accurate.

In the end, it all depends on the design and the power supply of the Amp. You could get Solid State amp's that aren't neutral and good tube amp's that are neutral.

Back