WTB DAC

Any suggestions on what to buy if no one has a used one to sale.

- My first DAC, so confused with brands, models etc.
- Inputs should include USB input also along with toslink and coaxial so that I can use with my pc.
- Need this to be between my PC and Edifier 1280.

I am upgrading so will be putting up for sale -
It has been reviewed pretty favourably but has only usb in and rca out. PM me if you are interested.

Any suggestions on what to buy if no one has a used one to sale.

- My first DAC, so confused with brands, models etc.
- Inputs should include USB input also along with toslink and coaxial so that I can use with my pc.
- Need this to be between my PC and Edifier 1280.
Hey, im not an authority on DACs, but I too was looking for one and was told by many seasoned audiophiles that my system, that comprises of an AVR and passive speakers, (collectively exceeding 75k+ {fronts only}) would not see a big (or should I say a justifiable) improvement in SQ if I paid got a DAC of the same price range you are looking at. Suggest you use that to get higher end speakers or some other upgrade. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I am upgrading so will be putting up for sale -
It has been reviewed pretty favourably but has only usb in and rca out. PM me if you are interested.
Thanks iBose, indeed i need additional inputs else it gets stuck to my desktop forever.

Hey, im not an authority on DACs, but I too was looking for one and was told by many seasoned audiophiles that my system, that comprises of an AVR and passive speakers, (collectively exceeding 75k+ {fronts only}) would not see a big (or should I say a justifiable) improvement in SQ if I paid got a DAC of the same price range you are looking at. Suggest you use that to get higher end speakers or some other upgrade. Just my 2 cents.
Been reading a lot of AV forums and have developed the same consensus as you mentioned.

Also in your case, the AVR has an excellent DAC capability built in (guessing from the price range you mentioned i.e 75k).

I am starting with Edifiers for now and will gradually move on to klipsch. Would love to know your full set up as well, please share.
Ok I thought you mentioned that you need it for your desktop. What all audio sources you intend to use ?
USB and atleast 1 toslink/coaxial

Been reading a lot of AV forums and have developed the same consensus as you mentioned.

Also in your case, the AVR has an excellent DAC capability built in (guessing from the price range you mentioned i.e 75k).

I am starting with Edifiers for now and will gradually move on to klipsch. Would love to know your full set up as well, please share.
When you do move to the Klipsch, you'd be getting an AVR too, I suppose? So the DAC is again going into the AVR. AVR DACs, for the components I have, should suffice is what I hear. Also, one's ears have to be able to pic on the subtle nuances that get introduced with these sorts of upgrades.

My system is as below:
5.1.4 setup | Pioneer VSX LX-303 | Polk Audio TSx440t Fronts | Definitive Technology Pro Center 1000 | JBL Control 1 Surrounds | Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 800 Atmos | SVS SB1000

Edifier 1280.
which model exactly 1280T or 1280DB ?
in either case, buying a DAC for these speaker is waste of money.
don't know what mobo you have in your PC, the best you can do is get an asus xonar card.

its like this - if we have a water pipe of 1inch diameter, water will only flow in that capacity, even if we fit a 5inch diameter extension pipe.

the word "audiophile" is being misused almost in 99% online forums to sell product.
True audiophile ( i consider anyone worth labeling audiophile are the one who are listening to music for a minimum 20-30yrs) never gives "product" recommendation, rather they try to help and and bring new people in this hobby is the cheapest way possible.
Check out Steve Guttenberg, he had done a video suggesting best in-class setup for as less as 500$.
Somewhere he or Steve Hoffman said, audiophile can be anyone who can listen, feel and enjoy his music without any distraction for a minimum 30 minutes.
Paisa dalne se audiophile nahi banta koye :p

I am starting with Edifiers for now and will gradually move on to klipsch.
starting with edifier is a great start, they make (including the 1280) some serious starers active speakers.
Once we start listening and enjoying then we tend to add/tweak equipment to enhance our experience.

About gradually moving to Klipsch - (I'm making an assumption here, please excuse if its incorrect).
Please do listen to them in-person before buying them probably with the same amp/avr you finalize - Klipsch has a very distinctive signature. not many people like it.
Loudness is their DNA, they are like the muscle cars.
And the worst part if you purchasing them in India - prepare to pay a bomb. Back in time i had to chase almost an year before getting my r82s.

Electronics are also equally important as speakers, dont pay attention to those who advice to buy $1500 speaker and hook a $50 SMSL amp.

When you do move to the Klipsch, you'd be getting an AVR too, I suppose? So the DAC is again going into the AVR. AVR DACs, for the components I have, should suffice is what I hear. Also, one's ears have to be able to pic on the subtle nuances that get introduced with these sorts of upgrades.

My system is as below:
5.1.4 setup | Pioneer VSX LX-303 | Polk Audio TSx440t Fronts | Definitive Technology Pro Center 1000 | JBL Control 1 Surrounds | Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 800 Atmos | SVS SB1000

Holy cow! That’s a sweet set up. Some pics as well whenever you can? (I know am getting greedy)

And you are right, I have dropped the idea of getting a DAC now since I definitely would be moving on to better components soon. With an AVR like yours, I shouldn’t worry much about a DAC I suppose.

When you go on to build a system like yours, is it a one time full install or you go on slowly building staring from your AVR?

Holy cow! That’s a sweet set up. Some pics as well whenever you can? (I know am getting greedy)

And you are right, I have dropped the idea of getting a DAC now since I definitely would be moving on to better components soon. With an AVR like yours, I shouldn’t worry much about a DAC I suppose.

When you go on to build a system like yours, is it a one time full install or you go on slowly building staring from your AVR?
Thanks man. The setup started with the 5.1 DefTecs and went on to 7.1. Then I moved house and had to downgrade to 5.1. Then the much dreamed of Atmos AVR came in and then did 5.1.2 then got the JBLs and finally maxed out to 5.1.4. Placement is not ideal but us Mumbai folks struggle with small homes so gotta make do. But yea, lots of investment over the years to reach this stage.

Attachments

• IMG_20210619_225841.jpg
    IMG_20210619_225841.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 60
Back