Storage Solutions Data recovery options

mohit1981

Disciple
Hi,

I have WD 1 TB external HDD which is still under warranty. The problem is that I am unable to view or retrieve the data ( inluding fa,ily photos, personal documents etc.) stored in it. i can see the folders but in some either data is missing or corrupted.

I contacted WD CC, though they are reday to replace the drive but will not provide any kind of help in getting the data back. They want me to directly contact the data recovery company for it.

Please advise which is the best and cheap data recovery company in Delhi/ Noida. I would like a trustworthy company given the fact that I have some family photos and documents stored in it.

Also suggest some best data recovery software for external drives I can try in interim specially for photos and documents.

Thanks

#mohit1981, is your HDD detected under the BIOS??

And by "unable to view or retrieve the data" what do you mean exactly? Are the files visible but they are corrupt, so nothing i visible?

Ideally, If you have around 2TB of free space, make a backup of the disk using R studio and then try to recover the data.

Else, do a check disk with the MS tool in Windows, some times, the folders will be shown. IF this does not work, do what I have mentioned above.

try Acronis Disk Director Suite ; good for recovering

and HDD Regenerator worked for me for removing logical bad sectors..

or Active@ Partition Recovery Enterprise

^Its paid. For free alternatives, try Recuva. It has worked wonders for me.
<

@CA50 : When I connect external HDD to computer, windows is able to detect it. I am able to see all the folders. Problem is with the files within the folders. Like for example I have a folder called 'photos' and it has sub folders within it, which I am able to see. But some of the actual photos are either missing or those which are there see to be corrupt in the sense that when I click on then i get error message 'invalid file' or when I try to copy it to desktop it hangs my computer. Post which I get message that I get the error "windows delayed write failed. windows was unable to save all the data for the file G:\$Mft. the data has been lost. this error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. please try to save this file elsewhere "

@ vivek.krishnan : Unfortunately I do not have enough of space on my desktop for backup.

@ tipu185 & JuGGa : I have tried seagate data recovery software but it was of no help at all. WD people also made me download some software to check for bad sectors. But that too failed with the error 'too many bad sectors". But will still try the softwares recommended by you.

Can someone also suggest good data recovery shop in Delhi/ Noida? What will be the approx total cost of it?

Please suggest as my warranty will expire this July.

Thanks

#mohit1981 - I really doubt if any shop can recover data. Data recovery companies charge too much. More than your hard disk!

#mohit1981, so the problem is with the HDD. Check the HDD contents under linux. You might be lucky.

Get a LInux live CD and boot from it.

@mohit1981 I'd tried WD's data life guard ,which showed me error codes,so i used HDD regenerator. even though it took time but was worth it.

also prefer CA50's suggestion.

(I heard some recovery softwares do zero filling in bad sectors.can anyone confirm it ?)

^ no idea about that zero-filing

But before attempting any kind of recovery, don't write anything on the HDD, else there is a chance that the data to be recovered might get overwritten.

If your HDD, is still under warranty, then its safer to send it for RMA, rather then remapping the bad sectors, which too can be done.

Thank you all for your suggestions/ help.

I have tried several recovery software, will also give HDD regenerator a shot.

@CA50 : Where can I get linux CD (any particular version?). Will I need to install it. I have never tried linux before.

Before sending the HDD for RMA I need to recover my important data including family photos. WD will just replace the HDD and will not help me in getting my data back.

Try ubuntu live CD, burn it to a disc and boot from it. Next you will get linux desktop which will be easy for you.

Next backup your data. And yes, WD won't help you with backup, they will either replace the HDD or repair it.

Back