Disciple
Need to suggest a back up solution,

Platform : UNIX
I/F : Ext SCSI
Back Size : >125GB
Freq : daily

I need to know, Which one works out?
budget is not the concern.

Is there any speed factors governing the purchase?

If going for DAT drives, I think you will have to span a single backup archive to multiple tapes. The largest capacity that you gets in DAT is 72GB (compressed).

If your data size is fixed at 125 GB the suggest to go for DLT drive. If it is expected to grow then you may consider SDLT drives.

cheers

Mahesh

ms_mahu said:
Is there any speed factors governing the purchase?

want to go for the speed which supports ULTRA 320 SCSI

ms_mahu said:
If going for DAT drives, I think you will have to span a single backup archive to multiple tapes. The largest capacity that you gets in DAT is 72GB (compressed).

DAT ruling out....:p
ms_mahu said:
If your data size is fixed at 125 GB the suggest to go for DLT drive. If it is expected to grow then you may consider SDLT drives.

Cant say bout the data size, It may grow later...
So now looking at SDLT:eek:hyeah:
If its SDLT, which one is good in size and performance...???

Thanks for the info MAHU:eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah:

want to go for the speed which supports ULTRA 320 SCSI

None of the tape drives currently available will be able to use the 320 MBps fully.And for drives that uses Ultra 320 interface you will have to look for LTO-3 drives. Then also you can hook up upto three LTO3 drives in a single ultra4 scsi channel without any performance impact.

Current generation of SDLT 600 drives and older LTO-2 drives will be able to give you a sustained native throughput of around 30MB/sec (uncompressed data). Both these uses Ultra160 interface.

I would suggest to look for Quantum/HP SDLT 600 drive.

Hope that helps

Back