Deactivation of prepaid SIM

Makya_S

Recruit
Nov 2, 2017
Hello there,

I was going through TRAIs guidelines on prepaid sim deactivation. http://www.trai.gov.in/sites/default/files/Information Note to the Press.pdf

1) The point no suggests:- There shall be no deactivation if the balance in prepaid consumer account is Rs.20/- or more. What does this mean? If a sim has 20+ Rs and there isn't any activity (incoming call/SMS etc) TSPs can't deactivate this SIM?

2) Also, how would this appear from JIOs POV? Because all the recharges done in JIO are all bundled having certain expiry period in days. How can one maintain 20+ plus balance in JIO?

-M

vivek.krishnan

BLR~ZRS-TX-1-MX
Skilled
Dec 18, 2009
Ghatkopar, Mumbai
plus.google.com
To answer your query,

If you have not used your SIM for 90/120/180 days (or whatever is the period), the TSP can deduct 20 INR from your SIM. Repeat till balance is less than 20, and they can close the SIM.

Secondly, Jio does not deactivate the SIM for the same period, but allows a grace period where you can do Jio to Jio calling, internet upto 64kbps for 100MB and 100SMS per day.

Makya_S

Recruit
Nov 2, 2017
To answer your query,

Secondly, Jio does not deactivate the SIM for the same period, but allows a grace period where you can do Jio to Jio calling, internet upto 64kbps for 100MB and 100SMS per day.

Strange enough, JIO is sending SMS to people like below:-

Your plan for Jio no.70XXXXXXXX will expire on 08-11-2017. To avoid STOPPAGE of services , you need to recharge IMMEDIATELY. Click http://jio.com/r/Nsbz9skM or visit your nearest Jio retailer.

(Note:- I've escalated this issue to DOT and raised a strong objection over the language of stopping service)

On accordance with my comment, if my original recharge was valid for 28 days, then my number will continue to work for incoming (and jio to jio outgoing) for another 28 days. So basically this is in contradict with TRAL 6th amendment which allows 90days grace period.

vivek.krishnan

BLR~ZRS-TX-1-MX
Skilled
Dec 18, 2009
Ghatkopar, Mumbai
plus.google.com

Your plan for Jio no.70XXXXXXXX will expire on 08-11-2017. To avoid STOPPAGE of services , you need to recharge IMMEDIATELY. Click http://jio.com/r/Nsbz9skM or visit your nearest Jio retailer.

(Note:- I've escalated this issue to DOT and raised a strong objection over the language of stopping service)

On accordance with my comment, if my original recharge was valid for 28 days, then my number will continue to work for incoming (and jio to jio outgoing) for another 28 days. So basically this is in contradict with TRAL 6th amendment which allows 90days grace period.

Not really. You have no balance in your Jio SIM, hence they have told you about stoppage of services, which is technically correct - no outgoing calls to non Jio numbers.

Makya_S

Recruit
Nov 2, 2017
Not really. You have no balance in your Jio SIM, hence they have told you about stoppage of services, which is technically correct - no outgoing calls to non Jio numbers.
Well, already spoke with jio cc & they told me service will be completely stopped including incoming calls. I am ok with outgoing calls being barred. But why incoming?

They have no right to stop incoming, atleast for 90 days. Hence was my objection.

Last edited:

rkkaranrk

Skilled
Mar 19, 2009

You services like high speed data and calling to other network will stop, You will still be able to call jio numbers and can browse internet on reduced speed.

They are reminding you to get your number recharge are they doing it wrong ?

vivek.krishnan

BLR~ZRS-TX-1-MX
Skilled
Dec 18, 2009
Ghatkopar, Mumbai
plus.google.com
Well, already spoke with jio cc & they told me service will be completely stopped including incoming calls. I am ok with outgoing calls being barred. But why incoming?

They have no right to stop incoming, atleast for 90 days. Hence was my objection.

They have no right is a question that has no answer, because Jio is not a prepaid provider in the sense the others are, as there is no main balance.

If TRAI has mandated 90 days, they will keep it active for that much time, but be prepared to be bombarded with SMS and calls asking to recharge. This will not be a violation of DND, because you are being informed about a service that is taken but inactive.

Finally, do you need the number or not? If the answer is no, then go ahead below, else if the former is yes, better recharge it. People forget to recharge and etc, no matter how many reminders you have.

And do you have an axe to grind with Jio? Then please go ahead and prove them wrong, and take them to DOT/TRAI.

Makya_S

Recruit
Nov 2, 2017
They have no right is a question that has no answer, because Jio is not a prepaid provider in the sense the others are, as there is no main balance.

If TRAI has mandated 90 days, they will keep it active for that much time, but be prepared to be bombarded with SMS and calls asking to recharge. This will not be a violation of DND, because you are being informed about a service that is taken but inactive.

Finally, do you need the number or not? If the answer is no, then go ahead below, else if the former is yes, better recharge it. People forget to recharge and etc, no matter how many reminders you have.

And do you have an axe to grind with Jio? Then please go ahead and prove them wrong, and take them to DOT/TRAI.

JIO is both prepaid and post provider. There are top up plans available for prepaid. (Look under plans on their home page).

http://jep-asset.jio.com/jio/plan/6...649.986376649.1509782686-642320691.1509610292

BTW, Do you work for jio or have any affiliation with them?? Just curious.

I an just conscious consumer... you should always look service providers with degree of doubt. Verify facts. Question them.

Oh....One more thing. JIO is making it mandate for new/porting ppl to purchase prime membership (latest i heard from their CC).

The broader picture that one needs to see is JIO has literally bought down telecom industry in a deep mess. And now they are trying to create monopoly in this area.

vivek.krishnan

BLR~ZRS-TX-1-MX
Skilled
Dec 18, 2009
Ghatkopar, Mumbai
plus.google.com
JIO is both prepaid and post provider. There are top up plans available for prepaid. (Look under plans on their home page).

http://jep-asset.jio.com/jio/plan/6...649.986376649.1509782686-642320691.1509610292

BTW, Do you work for jio or have any affiliation with them?? Just curious.

I an just conscious consumer... you should always look service providers with degree of doubt. Verify facts. Question them.

Oh....One more thing. JIO is making it mandate for new/porting ppl to purchase prime membership (latest i heard from their CC).

The broader picture that one needs to see is JIO has literally bought down telecom industry in a deep mess. And now they are trying to create monopoly in this area.

Facepalm. Read what I have written and then comment. Jio prepaid is unlike other operators, where you can make a call without any packs enabled - Jio needs you to have a pack active.

I do not work for Jio, neither do we have any direct affiliation. But yes, my company has Jio corporate connections.

Prime is not compulsory, but it's the equivalent of people not taking a discount offer as the packs are available without the offer. Without prime, Jio has reduced offers. In some ways, it could be considered a back door/ambush entry - many people will not pay for TV shows and et all. Or it can be considered a way for Jio to make 99 INR per customer for starters. In other words, look at Amazon Prime - many people have bought it.

The broader picture is that there was a cartel being run with AVoID group, and Jio saw a way to demolish it. No doubt that the money from the petrochem business was responsible, but he has done it. As for the mess created, it was of their own reckoning. They were looking to the USA and thinking that people could pay up like that - hell, Airtel still thinks so. Coming to the monopoly, it will never happen, but again there will be a new cartel formed, with Jio dictating the terms. And this time, it will be more difficult to unseat Jio like Jio did to AVoID group.

Finally, a conscious customer? I don't think so. Your tone is more in line with finding a loophole in Jio which can be bought to notice. Just my 2 cents.

Makya_S

Recruit
Nov 2, 2017
Facepalm. Read what I have written and then comment. Jio prepaid is unlike other operators, where you can make a call without any packs enabled - Jio needs you to have a pack active.

I do not work for Jio, neither do we have any direct affiliation. But yes, my company has Jio corporate connections.

Prime is not compulsory, but it's the equivalent of people not taking a discount offer as the packs are available without the offer. Without prime, Jio has reduced offers. In some ways, it could be considered a back door/ambush entry - many people will not pay for TV shows and et all. Or it can be considered a way for Jio to make 99 INR per customer for starters. In other words, look at Amazon Prime - many people have bought it.

The broader picture is that there was a cartel being run with AVoID group, and Jio saw a way to demolish it. No doubt that the money from the petrochem business was responsible, but he has done it. As for the mess created, it was of their own reckoning. They were looking to the USA and thinking that people could pay up like that - hell, Airtel still thinks so. Coming to the monopoly, it will never happen, but again there will be a new cartel formed, with Jio dictating the terms. And this time, it will be more difficult to unseat Jio like Jio did to AVoID group.

Finally, a conscious customer? I don't think so. Your tone is more in line with finding a loophole in Jio which can be bought to notice. Just my 2 cents.

Duh. Why do u think they have introduced the top up plans then??

Loophole?? Lol. You are free to think. I can't stop you from imagining things.

rkkaranrk

Skilled
Mar 19, 2009
What top up plans?

Who is imagining, me or you? Keep dreaming....
He means Jio had introduced the top up recharges recently but I think they were there since the beginning.

@Makya_S: First of all get ur facts right if your jio recharge ends you're incoming will not be barred u can use your phone for incoming as u can on other operator.

Makya_S

Recruit
Nov 2, 2017
He means Jio had introduced the top up recharges recently but I think they were there since the beginning.

@Makya_S: First of all get ur facts right if your jio recharge ends you're incoming will not be barred u can use your phone for incoming as u can on other operator.

I never said they were introduced recently. They are there since long time. Perhaps from day 1.

I was told by jio CC that incoming will be barred after plan expires.

So I believe my facts are clear. (Unless I am terribly misinformed by jio care)

rkkaranrk

Skilled
Mar 19, 2009
I never said they were introduced recently. They are there since long time. Perhaps from day 1.

I was told by jio CC that incoming will be barred after plan expires.

So I believe my facts are clear. (Unless I am terribly misinformed by jio care)

I really don't get your point why are you cribbing and what for ? Call Jio and get your facts right.

Jio does not suspend your incoming at least they did not on my 2 number which I had not used for past minimum 6 months, Incoming is very much working but obviously no data or calls as there is no balance or active plan.

nRiTeCh

Skilled
Mar 24, 2005
51nD m3!
www.techenclave.com
Just fyi my jio is dead since april. Never recharged never went for prime etc.
It simply catches network. And i haven't yet received a single sms or call.
While making any call it does reminds to recharge thats it!

Harpy.eagle

Adept
May 22, 2008
With so much competition in telecom sector to have maximum users, i dont think TSPs are following rules or they might be just guidelines to stop service to any number.

When i was abroad, i never got network on international roaming on bsnl sim. So for 6 months approx without any usage sim was still in service. My number didnt expire.

Now i have airtel number with 20-30 rs balance. Havent recharged for more than 6 months probably. And last and only recharge done was in last whole year. I have kept it on airtel only because they offer international roaming/ user can atleast get incoming sms abroad with network alliance. And every time i transact online, i get bank sms on the same number. I have never made outgoing call or sms from this number for an year. Still number is active.

As far as jio is concerned, once plan is expired, one can receive call and sms and even use data at slow speed for several months, same as other members have stated. I havent recharged my jio (trial sim) after SSO offer expired. Rather one gets some high speed data once in while as promotion on that number. So relax. I got 10gb high speed data valid till 16th dec 2017 on this number which is in RN3 handset.

TheGreatOne

Disciple
Oct 9, 2015
you have not used your SIM for 90/120/180 days (or whatever is the period), the TSP can deduct 20 INR from your SIM. Repeat till balance is less than 20, and they can close the SIM.
This is not true, telecom can terminate your sim if you have not recharged in 90 days.
In the past i have had my airtel and Vodafone sim terminated because of that even when i had more than Rs50 in my account.