Linux Debian 5 Lenny Released

Dark Star

ex-Mod
324px-Debian-logo-notext.svg.png

The Debian Project is pleased to announce the official release of Debian GNU/Linux version 5.0 (codenamed "Lenny") after 22 months of constant development. Debian GNU/Linux is a free operating system which supports a total of twelve processor architectures and includes the KDE, GNOME, Xfce, and LXDE desktop environments. It also features compatibility with the FHS v2.3 and software developed for version 3.2 of the LSB.

Debian GNU/Linux runs on computers ranging from palmtops and handheld systems to supercomputers, and on nearly everything in between. A total of twelve architectures are supported: Sun SPARC (sparc), HP Alpha (alpha), Motorola/IBM PowerPC (powerpc), Intel IA-32 (i386), IA-64 (ia64), HP PA-RISC (hppa), MIPS (mips, mipsel), ARM (arm, armel), IBM S/390 (s390), and AMD64 and Intel EM64T (amd64).

Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 "Lenny" adds support for Marvell's Orion platform which is used in many storage devices. Supported storage devices include the QNAP Turbo Station series, HP Media Vault mv2120, and Buffalo Kurobox Pro. Additionally, "Lenny" now supports several Netbooks, in particular the Eee PC by Asus. "Lenny" also contains the build tools for Emdebian which allow Debian source packages to be cross-built and shrunk to suit embedded ARM systems.

Release Notes : Release Notes for Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 (lenny), Intel x86 | Debian -- News -- Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 released
Download : Debian worldwide mirror sites

Surprisingly this thread didn't make it big. So reviews anybody? Debian was the first Linux i used (Sarge). Switched to Ubuntu and Fedora after that but I always loved Debian. Feel so close to your hardware using it.

Longtime Debian User here.Before Sarge ,it was woody ;)

Debian doesnot make sense in Desktop users context.so ,there is no wonder most of the people never cared for it.but when it comes to business(Servers and other applications) ,Debian and RedHat/Suse are fighting.and Debian ,the Community GNU/Linux service is the leader. :)

--

For Desktop users ,Sidux distro which makes use of Debian Sid can be a good choice- it got latest Kde.

while ,for a Gnome ,you need a apt-pinning with experimental repo which all makes it difficult for novice GNU/Linux users to work with.

Ubuntu/Mepis Does this Job for Debian.

i would love to try debian but then i heard installation has to be done from command line!! not really that expert to get to that ! just now getting hang of terminal !!
and downloading the entire debian base takes 12 cds woot!!
but i am hoping to try debian and slackware soooooon :D

Back