Car & Bike Decent 2nd Hand Car under 2 Laks?

A lot of advice around here, but let me tell you something else.

There are a LOT of second hand cars out there. But where you buy from is pretty much more important than which car you end up buying. Because you just can't tell what kind of abuse a second hand car has been through. Whatever you buy, get it from a trusted source. Preferably from someone known. Don't hesitate to pay a little more if you ever happen to find such a deal. If you are unsure what to pay, ask the seller to get the car evaluated through a second hand dealer and that's a good ballpark to bargain on.

For the record, I sold my 2005 model Santro Xing XG for 2.5L in Bangalore earlier this month. I was the second owner. It was a well maintained car and the buyer was someone known. Buyer happy, I am happy. I purchased a second hand Swift Vxi from someone known. Again, seller happy, I am happy.

I would suggest sticking to a Maruti because of cheaper after sales. Santros are pretty reliable as well, but can get expensive to maintain (if you ever need to replace anything - which in my experience is infrequent). Also, small cars (hatch backs) are easier to drive around in the city.

having owned a tata vehicle, and knowing a lot of tata owners, stay off the nano. Any old maruti will be more reliable than a nano. Or even an indica for that matter, as long as you stick with a decent independent mech. I tried selling my '07 Indica Turbo DLX, and the best offer I got was 2.25L, and i decided to keep it. At least should give you an idea about indica prices :)

greenhorn said:
having owned a tata vehicle, and knowing a lot of tata owners, stay off the nano. Any old maruti will be more reliable than a nano. Or even an indica for that matter, as long as you stick with a decent independent mech. I tried selling my '07 Indica Turbo DLX, and the best offer I got was 2.25L, and i decided to keep it. At least should give you an idea about indica prices :)
That's the main problem with Tata's.
But what I've read from TBHP newer Nanos are somewhat trouble free.
But again you won't get the peace of mind that you get with a Maruti.

BTW you got good price for your Indica - I was looking for a 2nd hand diesel in Kolkata - 30-40K KM run 2007/2008 Indica DLG/DLS is available for 1.7 - 1.8 L (without negotiation). Finally I went for a Swift Vdi :) for the peace of mind and fun to drive factor.

completely forgot spark . one thing i like about it is that it comes with beige interior which is my fav. one when it comes to choosing interior

ya a well maintained Spark LS can easily fit in your budget I see a lot of Doctor owned cars with low milage for decent price range.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Spark sales are not low atleast numbers say's so.. Point here is if OP gets spark he can have 3 years Zero maintenance so no head ache for next 3 yrs is something Outstanding I must say for any car. Spark is really peppy to drive and having a good mileage to it is added advantage.
BF1983 said:
Why not spend a few k more and get a brand new Chevrolet Spark. I am pretty sure sales are low and dealers would be willing to throw in some discounts.

Chevrolet Spark Price - New Chevy Spark Price in Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Pune, Kolkata

Wow, that was a nice find. Chevrolet Spark. Funny car though, has it's Speedo in center of the dash? And Iam able to find 2nd hands(2008 Model) in and around 2 Laks - 2.2 Laks

@agantuk Spark sells in good numbers and also a hit car package as a whole IMO. Guess if he's getting it around 2 -2.25 range its a good deal.

Didnt quite get this point? its tied with the car and not the person.. so if the car is transfered to other name and so is the maintenance package. Am I missing something here ?
greenhorn said:
I think the 3 year free maintenance package is not transferable. Bear that in mind

unless person is so stupid that he go there and start shouting i am its new owner . company won't even care to know which person brought it . With my 3years experience on this matter . Even today my car has name and address of its first owner but hell i care as long as i am enjoying warranty

Guess you are wrong as Warranty always belongs to the product and not the person who buy's the product :) Person who has it can claim it simple :D

archat68 said:
^^ Any warranty - in general - is not transferable.

Your best bet would be to stretch a little and get a Baleno, excellent car. And dont go for andy Ford/Fiats though you will get them cheap, palio for 80k.

or get a used Santro/ WagonR.

Thanks guys for all your inputs, after a look here and there I also spotted a Daewoo Cielo 1998 Model 90k Km's done for 1 Lakh. Is this a reliable car ?

P.s: Seller comments on car:

Good Condition. I have maintained the car very well. Interested persons can contact me. Nothing to say more, Power Steering, 5+1 Gear, A/C etc. Regular Oil Change, Recently changed New Water Pump, New Battery, Serviced fuel injectors, Serviced Entire Gas Kit, Serviced A/C, Four New Tyres changed Recently, Front Suspensions changed, Wheel Baring Changed Newly New Pioneer Stereo System with two 400W Pioneer Speakers.

Back