Camera Decent low light lens for Canon camera?

ashvarybabul said:
AFAIK Canon cameras dont have AF motor in bodies..

Rather all Canon lenses have AF motor in them by default.. not like Nikon in which some lenses have AF motor some dont...

[USM]

No man you are correct, Canon has AF in lenses and all its EF and EFS lenses has it unlike niks where you need to carefully choose an AF lens which is having an independent AF mechanism.In fact this is one of the reason in lens price difference in Canons, some lenses have high speed quite motors(USM III) required for speedy silent focus like in macro shooting so they cost more than others like kit 18-55 which are slow in focussing, even 50 mm f/1.8 is zippy in focussing, at times when the lens is in AF mode and hunts for focus; i feel ki lens ghum ke bahar hi aa jayega:bleh:.

_pappu_ said:
btw, the canon one wont auto-focus right? coz i'm really jealous bout the price.

check out some of lens photos, you will see that it has an AF/MF switch :D

The price is less because:

1. It's a prime so no moving elements inside which in turns make the construction simpler which in turn bring down the price.

2.The mount is made out of plastic instead of metal as in some other higher order lenses.

3. Construction is really simple and bare minimal things are given, not even a distance scale which again helps in reducing the cost.

That's why it is so sasta and tikau.:hap2::eek:hyeah:

_pappu_ said:
nice discussion ladies :)

why do you say, the 50mm f1.8 is useful at f2-f2.8, and not at f1.8 itself?

and would the same happen as well on the nikon 35mm prime?

Simply because f/2.8 is the sweet spot of this lens, you can use it at f/1.8 also without issues esp on 1.6x cameras but at f/2.8 it delivers it's best.!

about nikon 35mm, you need to see its performance graph to see at what f point it performs best. not necessarily same as canon lens.

P.S Sorry for such big post guys!!essay writing ho gayi..:)

sh@sh! said:
No man you are correct, Canon has AF in lenses and all its EF and EFS lenses has it unlike niks where you need to carefully choose an AF lens which is having an independent AF mechanism.In fact this is one of the reason in lens price difference in Canons, some lenses have high speed quite motors(USM III) required for speedy silent focus like in macro shooting so they cost more than others like kit 18-55 which are slow in focussing, even 50 mm f/1.8 is zippy in focussing, at times when the lens is in AF mode and hunts for focus; i feel ki lens ghum ke bahar hi aa jayega:bleh:.

check out some of lens photos, you will see that it has an AF/MF switch :D

The price is less because:
1. It's a prime so no moving elements inside which in turns make the construction simpler which in turn bring down the price.
2.The mount is made out of plastic instead of metal as in some other higher order lenses.
3. Construction is really simple and bare minimal things are given, not even a distance scale which again helps in reducing the cost.
That's why it is so sasta and tikau.:hap2::eek:hyeah:

Simply because f/2.8 is the sweet spot of this lens, you can use it at f/1.8 also without issues esp on 1.6x cameras but at f/2.8 it delivers it's best.!

about nikon 35mm, you need to see its performance graph to see at what f point it performs best. not necessarily same as canon lens.
P.S Sorry for such big post guys!!essay writing ho gayi..:)

i know primes are cheaper for those reasons :bleh:
but the canon prime, albeit being of lower quality, is cheaper than the nikon ones which are around 10k for the 35/50mm ones.
i just wasnt clear, coz nikon has the AF, AF-S stuff, regarding whether or not all canon lenses have motors in them.
all clear now though, thanks :)

_pappu_ said:
i know primes are cheaper for those reasons :bleh:
but the canon prime, albeit being of lower quality, is cheaper than the nikon ones which are around 10k for the 35/50mm ones.
i just wasnt clear, coz nikon has the AF, AF-S stuff, regarding whether or not all canon lenses have motors in them.
all clear now though, thanks :)

Nikon counterpart is costly coz it has all the scales you can think of on it.;)

^^ When you say it wont AF, it means it wont AF on the D40/D40x/D3000/D5000 bodies. It WILL AF with ALL other DSLR bodies other than the above mentioned bodies.

^^ it means, it needs the incamera focusing system, which is found on higher end nikon cameras (D90 and above)

the lower range bodies donot have a motor in the body, and hence they need lenses with motors (AF-S) (d40,d3000,d5000)

if you use a AF lens on any of the above bodies, you are stuck with manual focus.

harish_21_10 said:
^^Dint know about that..thanks for the clarification...how about Canon's lineup?Same goes for them or few exceptions?

Canon is different, all lenses have their AF systems, so in body focusing, if you buy a low end cam like 1000D or a high end like 1D, they can use same lenses well except for EF-S lenses but that is a diff thing not related to AF of lenses.

sh@sh! said:
Canon is different, all lenses have their AF systems, so in body focusing, if you buy a low end cam like 1000D or a high end like 1D, they can use same lenses well except for EF-S lenses but that is a diff thing not related to AF of lenses.
So what you saying is, it doesnt matter if the camera body has internal AF motor or not, as the lenses come with a AF system...

harish_21_10 said:
So what you saying is, it doesnt matter if the camera body has internal AF motor or not, as the lenses come with a AF system...

Yes,
Every lens you buy for a canon is having an individual AF motor system built into the lens itself.

Real nice read this thread! :)

Sorry for going OT, but would this be a better lens for macro stuff compared to the 18-55 Kit lens(Canon 350D) ? (.28m min distance)

or would the gurus suggest? :)

The Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 is a very sharp lens. d_payne had it for a long time and sold it only because he went full frame.

The VC version adds image stabilization but is optically inferior to the non VC version.

For macro, its best to get a cheap 50mm lens and add extension tubes. Easiest way to get 1:1 magnification for cheap. :)

Hmm, I guess I will stick with the Canon 50mm in that case, in any event I would have to save up big time for the Tamron lenses. Brendon however if you come across a good deal on the Tamron lens do ping me..

Back