Audio Decent speakers under 2k?

kvn95ss

Adept
I'm currently using some old model F&D 2.0 speakers (which I bought used for 300 lol). They are loud but don't have any bass.

Was looking at 2.1 speakers but there are many options (F&D, Edifier, Philips etc).

I'm looking for decent bass and clear sound. My setup is in my hall which is medium sized, but I usually don't crank up my volume anyways (using my IEMs, I rarely push past 30 volume).

What would be a decent choice?

I'm currently using some old model F&D 2.0 speakers (which I bought used for 300 lol). They are loud but don't have any bass.

Was looking at 2.1 speakers but there are many options (F&D, Edifier, Philips etc).

I'm looking for decent bass and clear sound. My setup is in my hall which is medium sized, but I usually don't crank up my volume anyways (using my IEMs, I rarely push past 30 volume).

What would be a decent choice?

For 2k you wont really get any genuine upgrades over the F&D , I think you will need to extend budget to about 9k and then you have options from Edifier(1280DB) , Swan (M10) & JBL (104 , has gone as low as 4.5k during FK Big Billion Sale). You can look if anyone are selling the above in used market for lower prices

JBL looks good plus has TRS balanced input, so could be used with an audio interface easily.

I'm planning to get Evo 4 audio interface, I could buy the speaker after I get that.

I'm looking for used speakers in my locality but they are all old Sony mini hi-fi systems and quite old.

Non detachable power cord to the base is the biggest problem with entry level Swans.
I had a Swan M1 years ago, it sounded decent for the price.
But I am completely spoiled by very expensive setups. In 2018 planned to upgrade from my humble JBL mid range system, within a year I moved up to Focal ( after dabbling with few others, loosing thousand upon thousand) and ended up with a Barefoot system.
I would sincerely suggest you to save up some more and buy something decent.. Logitech Z623s are excellent for the price. I don't have them, but bought it for my in-laws and listened to them. They are available for less than 100 EUR. Unless you're obsessed like me, they will serve you for years.
The next step up gonna cost you a lot more.

Get either the Creative Pebble (2.0) or the Creative Pebble Plus (2.1).

The Pebble costs under 2K INR
The Pebble Plus costs under 3K INR

Both have fantastic clarity in terms of movies, gaming and music. And looks awesome too!

I have Philips MMS 6080B. Great set with punchy bass and clarity.
Substitute for my Bose WAVE III when I need Bluetooth.
Also bought Obage tower speakers over F&D.
At 4K+ the performance speakers really start.

If you were using 2.0 speakers, then 2.1 will definitely feel like an update, get F&D 2.1 speaker those are available for 2k. If you can spend a little more go for Obage brand.

sorry if this is hijack

i am exactly in the similar situation as op, had a Rs300 speakers by xcess that died on me today. looking for speakers under 3k now

the thing with 2.1 speaker is, i dont know where to put the subwoofer on my pc table. I have used 2.0 small speaker my whole life which very conveniently blended in with monitor in the midddle.

so far after reading comments here, "Creative" and "Obage" seems like good brands to get the speakers from. What are your suggestions people?
sorry if this is hijack

i am exactly in the similar situation as op, had a Rs300 speakers by xcess that died on me today. looking for speakers under 3k now

the thing with 2.1 speaker is, i dont know where to put the subwoofer on my pc table. I have used 2.0 small speaker my whole life which very conveniently blended in with monitor in the midddle.

so far after reading comments here, "Creative" and "Obage" seems like good brands to get the speakers from. What are your suggestions people?
Is single tower speaker good for gaming? Will i lose the directional stero effect of 2 speakers ? Obage suggested me 525x based on my room size.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, you can keep the sub under the table and keep the 2.0 speakers on the table itself. You might have to tune the bass knob to your taste tho.

For games I would actually suggest IEMs or headphones. From my experience games have more dynamic range than music/videos (one second its all peace and quiet then BOOM gunshot or something). Speakers might seem too loud, but in IEMs the range is more tolerable (for my ears at least)

I recently got the pebble plus for 3k in a lightning deal(could've got it for 300 less if I had a Bob card). They are too damn good for the price. My room is pretty small so that might be a factor but overall I'm very satisfied with it.

If you're planning to buy this wait for the lightning deal they go on sale very frequently.

@IshaanB Thanks for the inputs. I know about JBL Flip, and yes they have a very 'fun' sound. but it's got not much stereo separation, hardly a complaint due to its small size.

But I found the clarity a bit lacking. I used it while playing BF1 and the audio wasn't very clear in the mids, though bass was good.

Since portability is not an option I would rather trade it for sound quality. I need decent bass but I also want clear mids and decent highs.

I'm currently saving up and once I get a substantial amount I'll take a more serious view on recommendations. Right now Creative Pebble looks something decent, though it does cost 1k over my budget.

What's with this brand Edifier?
Some of their monitors look like over cmplicated Adam Audio's S series at one tenth of the price!!
How do they sound?
I've read some reviews online ( in obscure / non audio focused websites) but most if not all, are very poorly written...I mean they praised the products mostly but the descriptions are very vague with absurd non standard measurements.
The name doesn't sound like Chinese, but the reviews remind me of horrible Chinese speakers.
Kind of Behringer like vibe. BTW Behringer is a German audio company with Chinese quality and price ( except very few products)

What's with this brand Edifier?
Some of their monitors look like over cmplicated Adam Audio's S series at one tenth of the price!!
How do they sound?
I've read some reviews online ( in obscure / non audio focused websites) but most if not all, are very poorly written...I mean they praised the products mostly but the descriptions are very vague with absurd non standard measurements.
The name doesn't sound like Chinese, but the reviews remind me of horrible Chinese speakers.
Kind of Behringer like vibe. BTW Behringer is a German audio company with Chinese quality and price ( except very few products)
Edifier actually makes very decent speakers. I had bought a set of the C3 based in 2013 for about Rs 6500 (around 80 Euros) and the sound was just fantastic for the price. I had upgraded from a relatively basic Creative 2.1 set at the time, but the upgrade was substantial, and particularly when used with a sound card. So big upgrade over the creative 2.1 with onboard sound and an even bigger upgrade on using it with an Asus Xonar DG card (quite an entry level card but still improved the bass and overall sound quality quite a bit). The amp of the C3 died on me about 3-4 years back, and so, since the speakers were passive, I connected them to a TPA311D2 amp (Suggested by Greenhorn and Chaos if i remember correctly) which I bought off Ebay at the time for about 800Rs and I was absolutely blown away. This amp sounded even better than the original that came with the C3. So all in all, its still going strong 8 years later and sounds better than the original set. I've also heard the C2 and the 1280DB which were also decent for the price but I still think the C3 is overall better.

I've also got a set of Swan D1080 Mk IV which I had picked up for about 12k and currently my primary speakers are the Kef Q100 with a Q Acoustics Sub so I have a reference of some higher quality speakers as well. I'm using the Kef with the SMSL Q5 Pro amp which is a budget amp so they probably will sound even better with a Marantz / NAD / Audiolab amp. Having said all this,
I'd still say the Edifier speakers are fantastic value for the price you get them at. Im still using the C3 in another room and while I can definitely tell the difference between them and the Kefs, the KEF setup is not 5-6x better even though they cost 5-6x as much.

Back