Defending yourself against people who are physically stronger than you.

Okay. I don't want to talk about working out and hitting the gym and all that. Yes, working out is a good thing and it builds up stamina and strength, but let's be realistic here. Some people, luckily (for them), are endowed with better genes. People come in all shapes and sizes. You might be 6'1" and weigh 85 kg. But there will almost always be a guy who is even bigger and stronger than you, say 6'5" and 105 kg. I know weight doesn't directly equate to strength and that there are other factors involved, but you get my drift.

Your first line of defence would be to avoid an altercation at all costs. But this isn't a viable option always. Sometimes, physical fights are inevitable.

The other option I can think of is carrying a weapon. A gun perhaps. But everyone carrying guns has its own issues.

Please share your ideas.

Pepper spray ?
Hit him in crotch ?
Run as fast as you can ?

Separately or preferably in the sequence mentioned above.

OT: General Talk is getting a lot chattier these days. I kind of like it.

Learn Karate,Judo,Krav Maga,Kung Fu etc

This may help you too
Indian martial arts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :)

I'm not saying that martial arts are of no use. But in a sense, these arguments sound more like the fantasies of martial arts enthusiasts. You need knowledge of biology and the human body to pin point weak spots and a lot of training to use these maneuvers effectively. Not to mention how you'd defend yourself against the brute force of someone who is much stronger than you, once he/she has hold of you (irrespective of your training in martial arts).

Being fit can't help all the people. I have some of my friends who are not builders(me too) but can knock down people who are double to them. They are well trained in physical fights from the +10 level.

I agree with you @OinkBoink. There will be situations where you should get into physical fight. Then we should analyze the situation.
According to your title you are not willing to get into physical fight. If so handle the situation smoothly and try to avoid. If it was inevitable just try to defend yourself so that you don't get hurt a lot. Keep in mind to give him back double of what you had in this situation. If you can beat him up then there is no issue at all.
There will be another situation like below
You are willing to knock someone down with your own hands but you think that is not a possible thing. Wait and plan with your friends for it so that he shouldn't be able to fight back.
If you don't want that person to know that it was you who did it, same plan as above but without you in the gang who will attack.

There will be many situations if we go on discussing. No one dares to attack if you look rough in looks. Your body language should be in a way so that the opponent should think that you have the ability to bring him down.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best way to win a fight is to never get in one. Avoid at all costs.

But there is one exception to this rule: Survival. Only when you are in imminent danger of being badly injured or worse, getting killed, should you think of getting into a fight. But you must weigh your decisions deftly before initiating.

I just took him as an example to illustrate my point. I meant someone much bigger and stronger than I am.

Most of the thugs just succeed as they show confidence much more than the person opposite to them; strength obviously matters, but if elementary things (fearlessness here) are missing, you can't think going to next level.

PS: However powerful you get, there will always be one more powerful than you.

I am startled at how common you guys make physical fights sound like. I am from Tamil Nadu and I haven't got into a single fight ever, in my life. And I've never seen one either other than those petty fights in the school bus between the juniors.

I am startled at how common you guys make physical fights sound like. I am from Tamil Nadu and I haven't got into a single fight ever, in my life. And I've never seen one either other than those petty fights in the school bus between the juniors.

I've never gotten into a proper physical fight either but I've had some close calls. That being said, you have to embrace the fact that getting into physical fights can become a reality in anyone's life. I've seen people get pounded to paste and I wouldn't want to be in that situation. If I were, I would like to know how to defend myself effectively.

Back