Defy update finally?

piyush_888

Disciple
Hi guys,

I had subscribed to this thread on Motorola support forum . https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/387744#387744

It says that Singapore retail has been added. What does that mean? Will it work for India too? Why do they need different updates for different countries? Sorry, I am a newbie to all this.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

my bad... won't work in India. But, I would still appreciate someone explaining to me why different updates for different countries?

Update : Froyo IS in fact available in India now and makes the pone sexy as hell.

Any idea when it willl be available in India?

Got Defy last week, just because i was told that the update will be there soon.

wait... if this is official why do I have to do all this rooting and flashing business? Shouldn't the official update be something like click ->BAM!

Please pardon my ignorance with these things.

The India update will come around soon .. or if possible try out the Fixed SBFs over at XDA.

Make sure you choose the one with the correct Baseband ..

From the thread at Moto Supportforums

Note to Singapore/Asia customers:

As several regions might share the same software version, please check your phone's APFlex version and compare it to the source versions in the original posting to see if your DEFY can be upgraded.

Note to Singapore/Asia customers:

As several regions might share the same software version, please check your phone's APFlex version and compare it to the source versions in the original posting to see if your DEFY can be upgraded.

What does this mean. I am so lost in these high tech android/smartphone jargon.

the 2.2 update for the Motorola Defy has been officially released.

[Flash SBF] OFFICIAL RELEASE | Android Froyo 2.2.2 [SOUTH EAST ASIA] 3.4.3-361 - xda-developers

here is the Exact text in the pdf that was released from Moto..

Software Upgrade for Motorola DEFYâ„¢ (JEM_3.4.3)

Introduction This is a software upgrade for Motorola DEFY™ users who are currently using Android™ 2.1 (Éclair) software versions. The JEM_3.4.3 upgrade for Motorola DEFY™ provides new features from Android 2.2 (Froyo) plus additional improvements. Who Can Use This Release All Motorola DEFY™ users in Singapore, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, South Africa, Thailand and Vietnam. Android 2.2 (Froyo) Highlights

Phone speed and performance

Performance of the phone has been enhanced resulting in faster user interface, application operation, and Web browsing.

Adobe Flash Player 10.1

Your device now supports Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1, allowing access to rich Web content and games. Adobe Flash Player 10.1 is installed along with this upgrade.

App storage and updating

Applications can now be stored on the device’s microSD card. Additionally, apps can be set to automatically update by checking “allow automatic updating” under each app’s page in Android Market™.

Digital Keyboard

Added punctuation to the suggestion ribbon Additional Highlights of the Upgrade

Profiles

Added profiles feature that provides three customizable sets of home screens to give you access to the apps, shortcuts, and widgets you want, when you need them.

Dialer search

Phone numbers and contacts can now be searched from the dialer screen by entering the first few letters of the contact’s name or first few digits of the contact’s number.

Task Manager

Added Task manager app to assist with managing apps

LinkedIn

LinkedIn® social network accounts can now be added to integrate with contacts, social networking updates, and messaging

Security

Added new security features, including Exchange-based encryption and password security

Gallery

Updated the design of the user interface

Instructions for Installing Software

For a successful installation, we recommend installing these updates while the battery in your phone is at least 50% charged. Make sure you have an active SIM card installed in your phone.

Using the Windows-based PC Motorola Software Update (MSU) tool

1. Go to Software Update - Country Selector for instructions on how to download the software update

If you have difficulty with this update, visit DEFY Country Selector - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA.

MOTOROLA and the Stylized M Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC. Android and Android Market are trademarks of Google, Inc. All other product and service names are the property of their respective owners. © 2011 Motorola Mobility Inc. All rights reserved.

You can staright away flash to this or wait for an OTA update..

@sato1986 Indian defy is Blurless....

Can I update without any flashing/rooting business. What I am trying to ask is if I can update without needed to do any complicated hack stuff?

After updating:

Firmware Version: 2.2.2

System Version: Moto_Version.34.30.3301.MB525.Retail.en

APFelx: GAS_ASIA_USAJRDNFRYORTINT15_P001

Build: JEM_3.4.3-33-1

I hope thats the right one?

Am i on Froyo now? :D

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

@Piyush: I got my phone a week back, i haven't rooted or flashed. Just downloaded Motorola Software Update software and updated.

Software Update - Country Selector

Go to this link, select India and follow.

piyush_888 said:
@fahd123

Will all my settings and customizations go away? or it'll be like any other software version update.
All my applications and contacts were there as before, no changes. Although i did backed up my contacts just in case.

defy got gingerbread update?

if i buy my phone from singapore malaysia will it get over the air or by computer updates by indian carriers

what is the chance of bricking the phone if i do hacks like cynogen mod on moto defy

my camera has stopped working after the update. I can take videos just fine but when I take pictures it's just a black image. Also, I used to be able to surf internet using Vodafone EDGE earlier but now I don't see the "E" on the status bar and there is no internet on the phone. (Mobile data is enabled)

PLEASE HELP

++++++++++++++++++

Update: did a factory reset. works like a charm now.

Back