defy v/s Nexus S

Ordered MOTO Defy last weekend but that crippled EBS server again delayed my 1st android.......:mad:
will be ordering again when i get the transaction reversed !!!!

having got time and also got delivered a Nexus S for my friend.....I just wonder which of these phones is a better buy....!!!!!
Yeah, Both of them are class apart, but if i m just about 4.5K away from getting a leaps better android, then i wud not mind stretching this much

My preferences :

1) Front Cam : I think I will not need Front cam. as of now ....so it settle NS and Defy even for me
2) Better screen : Nexus S does have a SLCD 4" screen, but I had got a chance to test Defy and it's screen was gud, can anybdy compare performance of screens...Screen quality will really matter a lot....also Defy is Gorilla glass and NS not.....further 3.7" and 4" seems to be a slight difference :huh:
3) Camera : Can any1 compare both cameras...both are 5MP, aurofocus and Led flash...both can't shoot 720p videos....also, will both never able to shoot it or is there any improvement in any of these with 2.3.5 ?
4) Multimedia : Yeah....audio quality is must and also capability for playing High quality video (not necessarily 720p...what will any1 do of 720p on meager 4" screen:bleh:)
5) others : Texting and Internet browsing will also be prime usage
6) battrey life....any realtime comparison ?
7) updates : I hope defy will be limited after sometime due to hardware inferiority....will nexus S go significantly beyond it. Also abt. custom ROM supports...can they push Defy hand in hand with NS ?
8) Ruggedness : only thing that's still pushing me for defy.....(it will really luk awesome using it in rains and even taking outdoor pics then :clap:)

Definitely choice is user specific....but from owners of both......pls vote and help me get the 1 best suited for my use....

but it does not have any flash on cam....!!!!
and It's battery life is not gud....is it better than Defy ?
though Gorilla glass will give it ruggedness......!!!

DarkAngel said:
go for galaxy s i9000. Now costs only 19.8k in letabuy.
Has gorilla glass and a samoled screen.

I have used Nexus S and Galaxy S personally and can say that battery life is decent.

Defy:
Pros -
1) Ruggedness and Dust/Water Proof
2) Camera with LED Flash
3) Gorilla Glass

Cons -
1) Inferior CPU/GPU
2) Camera is decent but depends on green or red lens you get
3) Must be custom modded to get Android 2.3, which might be risky since it voids the warranty

Nexus S
Pros -
1) Currently running 2.3.5 and gets future updates straight from Google with priority. No matter what phones are in market, Nexus S will always get priority updates from Googl
e before being released to other handets.
2) 1 ghz hummingbird and 512 MB Ram. Powervr sgx 540 is the best gpu for single core phones as it sometimes performs on par with dual core tegra.
2) 16gb Internal Memory
3) Camera 5 MP with LED Flash. Front facing camera
4) Excellent form factor. I personally liked the curved screen
5) Excellent Audio with Wolfson Chip.
6) While it does not have gorilla glass, the screen is scratch resistant

Cons -
1) No expandable SD card slot
2) No 720p video recording
3) Plastic build compared to Defy. The body can get scratched easily
4) No dedicated video player.

Galaxy S (Indian Version)
Pros -
1) Official update to 2.3.3
2) 1 ghz hummingbird processor and 512 mb RAM. Powervr sgx 540 gpu which is currently the best in the single core phones available. Also this processor is personally capable of overclocking to 1.6 ghz. I have a US variant Galaxy S which is updated to 2.3.5 ad running at 1.44 ghz stable. Since the hardware is same, whatever update is available to Nexus should work with Galaxy S
3) FM Radio
4) 5 MP Camera and 720p video recording. Trust me, the absence of flash is not a big deal IMO, opinions might differ. Since it has night mode, the pictures taken in dark is not bad.
5) 16 gb internal memory + micro sd slot expandable to 32gb for total of 48gb.
6) SUPER AMOLED SCREEN. The best in the market after SUPER AMOLED PLUS.
7) Gorilla Glass
8) Front Facing Camera
9) Also has WOLFSON DAC for excellent audio quality.

Cons -
1) Plastic build. But the good thing about Galaxy S is that back cover is replacable so not a big deal if it gets scratched.
2) No LED Flash

So at the end, if you want faster updates go for Nexus S. If you are into modding then go for Galaxy S. Since they both have same hardware, whatever is possible on Nexus S is possible on Galaxy S.

No LED Flash is definitely a downer if you are going to shoot photos in pitch black condition. There is no solution for it (at least you need to eat happydent white and smile).
But for low light, Flash is utter waste when compared to the night mode. Check this out
Flickr: emmarbee's Photostream
Check the file names. 1a-1b belong to one set. likewise 2a-2b, 3a-3b etc.,

And as far as your thread title, pitching in some extra money will always get you better, but most of the times, not worth that extra money. Do you really thing your DEFY is worth for that 14K? Micromax A70 is available for 6.6K with similar specs. So you are spending in that extra 7.6Kfor a 0.5" bigger screen, better resolution, ruggedness and better cpu. Why didn't you ask this community whether DEFY is worth that extra 7600 INR? Now for extra 4600 INR, you are getting a 0.3" bigger screen, better quality screen, better cpu, better GPU, better camera and you are doubtful about this?

It's again personal preference

I wud already had bought Spice Mi-410 if that was the case.

Motorola/samsung will be my preferable brands (motorola only for defy:bleh:)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

[/COLOR]
emmarbee said:
No LED

And as far as your thread title, pitching in some extra money will always get you better, but most of the times, not worth that extra money. Do you really thing your DEFY is worth for that 14K? Micromax A70 is available for 6.6K with similar specs. So you are spending in that extra 7.6Kfor a 0.5" bigger screen, better resolution, ruggedness and better cpu. Why didn't you ask this community whether DEFY is worth that extra 7600 INR? Now for extra 4600 INR, you are getting a 0.3" bigger screen, better quality screen, better cpu, better GPU, better camera and you are doubtful about this?

A70 has just 3.2" screen size and screen is also 256K

A70 Cpu is 600Mhz, but defy's is 800 and as many threads suggest, ppl are safely running it at 1Ghz.

A70 Graphics processor is also inferior to defy

ppl say defy is VFM means it has got some optimum features for a gud phone....

That's why I asked if this mobile is close to Nexus S ?

Back