Dehumidifier for room

Anyone using Dehumidifiers ?
We don't have many option in India, i am considering Powerpye or Sharp as that's whats available in amazon.

Powerpye has better specs, 2 yr warranty + has option for 2 extra year warranty through Onsitego for 21k.
There is 15L at 145w option which seems sufficient for my room ( ~140 sq feet maybe and say 120 after furniture.) But has 2.5L storage tank only, will probably need to use pipe.
Any idea if these specs are accurate ? I cant find any reviews / tests done by 3rd parties for Indian models, usually they just give a list with specs and prices.

I live in Mumbai and humidity can be quite high. I am reading > 90% sometimes even 99% on sensor. And from this, it seems like peak humidity is always > 80% ( probably goes higher at nights as winters can be dry during daytime ).
AC will only make sense during summers here and will have much higher power consumption. So looking at this as another option.
I have allergies/asthma, airpurifier has helped quite a bit, but i think this might be another trigger.

I live in Mumbai and humidity can be quite high. I am reading > 90% sometimes even 99% on sensor. And from this, it seems like peak humidity is always > 80% ( probably goes higher at nights as winters can be dry during daytime ).
AC will only make sense during summers here and will have much higher power consumption. So looking at this as another option.
Can you run the AC with just the fan in cooler months? So no cooling

The best dehumidifier you can get is an AC

This option isn't there for people living in colder climates so specific dehumidifiers are made

Can you run the AC with just the fan in cooler months?

The best dehumidifier you can get is an AC
I don't have ac in my room and don't have experience in its usage + installation / maintenance.

Did not know about fan mode. Are you sure that fan mode also does dehumidification ?
Will AC be as efficient as dehumidifer using just the fan?

My ideal would be something that can set a constant temp/humidity - so both heating and cooling + humidity control. Sort of like hotels.
And an energy efficient option to do only dehumidification. Do we get for something like this ? I only see cooling as the major thing when people consider ac.
Maybe this can be a better option as everything gets covered.

Temps are moderate in Mumbai most of the time, so dehumidifier is more important maybe.

Last edited:
How cool does it get there?

An alternative way of reducing relative humidity is to heat the air, which will let it contain more moisture, thereby reducing RH.

AC is no doubt the best way to dehumidify air, but when travelling by car, it dries the air a bit too much for my personal liking, leading to dehydration of I don't frequently sip water.

Unavoidable on a hot day, but in cool evenings, I can turn off the AC, crack open the windows and set the climate control to 0.5C above ambient and direct the air flow to the windshield to prevent fogging (side the heat comes from the engine coolant, it is free)

So if you don't mind your room being slightly warmer than outside, try running a hair dryer intermittently and see if it makes any difference. Basically warm + dry air feels better than cool + humid air.

That said, running a heater continuously will drive up the electric bill, so might as well use AC which only runs intermittently as required. Bonus if you get an AC with heater, then you get dry air at the perfect temperature you want

How cool does it get there?
I think low 20s for the most part in winter. Otherwise usually i think we are near 30. Peak summer is hot ( was around ~33 when i bought sensor) and humid. I dont think i would want it hotter this way, dehumidifier will atleast take out the moisture and only increase room temp slightly.
Electronics failure rate is also high here, probably due to this.

Main requirement is to bring down humidity for me, it should be better for health too. Apparently dust mites flourish in high humid env.

Then AC is your best bet since coastal areas will always have high humidity. (A dehumidifier is also an AC + heater, but comparatively less powerful)

But I'd suggest you try the hair dryer method for a day or two first. RH makes a bigger difference than what a thermometer says

Then AC is your best bet since coastal areas will always have high humidity. (A dehumidifier is also an AC + heater, but comparatively less powerful)
Point is this - i don't feel like running a 1000w ac all year round for controlling humidity if a 200w device can do same. It also stops working once target humidity is met so average power usage should be even lower. Now if ac can do same in fan mode, then great. Not sure about what we get in Indian acs.

Mumbai temps are mostly ok except for peak summer when it gets hot and humid.
Another factor is that i will likely move out from here in next few years. So a portable device sounds better, but this may or may not happen so not a critical thing.
Most likely in future ill keep both a dehumidifer and an ac, assuming dehumidifer is much more efficient for what it does.

I don't really have too much experience operating this stuff as my family strongly believed in power of 'fresh' air and mumbai weather isn't that extreme.
Best option seems to be something like 'ERV' for whole house, but not practical for me right now as family will keep windows open in other rooms.

Just going through google results. This is what croma says

However, the volume of moisture removed by an air conditioner is not a great quantity and does not lead to a noticeable effect on the room’s atmosphere. A dehumidifier, on the other hand, is capable of removing a large amount of moisture from the room, resulting in a noticeable change in the room

An air conditioner is a clear choice if you are looking to cool your room while a dehumidifier is ideal to remove excess moisture from your room and is also best suited for those who live near the sea or in a moderate climate.

Lets see, if someone who uses dehumidifier can give feedback that would help. Or some confirmation that ac can dehumidify efficiently too vs dehumidifer ( without ERV).

Doesn't most the sensors measure RH only and not absolute?
yeah, that is what we feel too, right ? And more moisture gets retained on surfaces i think if RH is high. dust + high RH = corrosion + more dust mites and dusty smell. Anyway, not an expert.

Last edited:
Point is this - i don't feel like running a 1000w ac all year round for controlling humidity if a 200w device can do same. It also stops working once target humidity is met so average power usage should be even lower.
ACs also run only when required to achieve the target temp.

Now if ac can do same in fan mode, then great. Not sure about what we get in Indian acs.
In fan mode, the compressor is not running at all, so temperature + humidity is not affected. It's just like a ceiling fan.

I've never used a dehumidifier so can't comment on running costs or how effective they are.

ACs also run only when required to achieve the target temp.
yeah. But for humidity control ?

Also i edited previous post, this is what croma says -
However, the volume of moisture removed by an air conditioner is not a great quantity and does not lead to a noticeable effect on the room’s atmosphere. A dehumidifier, on the other hand, is capable of removing a large amount of moisture from the room, resulting in a noticeable change in the room
An air conditioner is a clear choice if you are looking to cool your room while a dehumidifier is ideal to remove excess moisture from your room and is also best suited for those who live near the sea or in a moderate climate.

In fan mode, the compressor is not running at all, so temperature + humidity is not affected. It's just like a ceiling fan.
ok, then that wont work for me.
Ill probably buy dehumidifier and see how it goes. Not many options, amazon usa has devices with much better specs at these prices and much more competition and we can see clear data from testers on youtube. In india, demand is low, so i guess yt guys cant afford to buy stuff, they just give a list and spell out specs. No testing at all.

---------------------------

Anyone using a dehumidifier here ?

This is just marketing BS and plain wrong. An AC removes moisture + cools the air, so it is doubly effective compared to dehumidifier which only removes moisture.

You can confirm this by observing water dripping under a car when AC is running, or the water drain pipe from indoor AC units. This is the moisture removed as condensation on the cooling coil.

The only advantage I can see for dehumidifer is the lower power rating might be good for 24x7 usage.
In Bangalore summer, I set the AC at 26-28, and it consumed an extra ~40 units per month. The compressor only runs for a minute or two every few minutes (closed windows + little direct sunlight). More frequnetly when gaming.

Whether you use AC or dehumidifier, the RH is reduced in both cases so you will feel more comfortable.

Contact the brand and ask for a demo at your place. That will be the best way for you to judge if dehumidifier is worth it for you.

This is just marketing BS and plain wrong. An AC removes moisture + cools the air, so it is doubly effective compared to dehumidifier which only removes moisture.
yeah, i am getting confirmation from other places of this too. In peak summer, yes acs will work great. But in other times when target temp is not too different from indoor temp, or when indoor temp is low in winters, dehumidification will be less. Maybe i am wrong but this is how i understood it. See below.
Anyway, i still need to decide which dehumidifier to buy. No data to make decision, only specs and prices.

---------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------

Hong Kong's hot and humid weather can make using a dehumidifier counterproductive as it releases warmer air back into the room. In summer, while dehumidifiers only remove moisture, air conditioners not only lower room temperature but also dehumidify.

2. Inadequate dehumidification effectiveness in Hong Kong's winter​

Air conditioners operate when indoor temperatures are higher than the set temperature. In winter, using an air conditioner for dehumidification requires setting the temperature lower than indoor temperature to be effective, leading to increased energy consumption and discomfort due to the already cold winter temperatures.

Is an Air Conditioner More Effective at Dehumidifying Than a Dehumidifier?​

The dehumidification capacity of air conditioners depends on indoor temperatures! While air conditioners do have some dehumidifying effect, significant advantages in dehumidification are seen when air conditioning is necessary for temperature reduction compared to dehumidifiers. Additionally, the greater the temperature difference between indoor and air conditioner settings, the better the dehumidification effect.
Therefore, in places like Hong Kong with distinct seasons, the effectiveness of air conditioner dehumidification varies:
Spring: Air conditioner dehumidification is limited due to minimal temperature differences between indoor and air conditioner settings.
Summer: Air conditioner dehumidification is highly effective due to significant temperature differences.
Autumn: Air conditioner dehumidification is moderate due to dry weather conditions.
Winter: Air conditioner dehumidification requires lowering the temperature significantly, which may be uncomfortable in already cold winter conditions.

Should You Still Purchase a Dehumidifier?​

Despite many air conditioners having Dry Mode, which reduces energy consumption compared to standard cooling, they still consume more electricity than dehumidifiers! Furthermore, air conditioners only dehumidify about 20% of what dehumidifiers do, yet consume multiple times the energy. Hence, if dehumidification alone is needed, especially in humid areas like Tseung Kwan O and Tai Po, purchasing a dehumidifier is more advisable. Dehumidifiers offer faster dehumidification and overall energy savings.

Option 1: AC only
Find out if 'dehumidify/dry' mode works on hot-n-cold ACs during winters. If it works then this is the best year-round solution. I haven't tested it but 'dehumidify/dry' mode should consume less electricity than the usual 'cool' mode. Portable dehumidifiers have smaller evaporator in comparison to ACs.

Option 2: AC + Dehumidifier
This combo is good for Mumbai weather. You can use dehumidifier to compliment AC's dehumidification abilities. Because Mumbai doesn't have extreme temperatures, you can use dehumidifier in winters too.

Option 3: Dehumidifier only
Dehumidifier is going to increase the ambient temperature as it spews out warm air. Even though it helps to control excessive sweating, the increase in temperature + closed windows is very unpleasant experience here Gobargaon. Maybe you can tolerate this in Mumbai.

I use dehumidifier for several things even though it didn't serve the purpose I bought it for. I now use it to control mold. I hardly switch off my AC which makes my room pretty dry but mold still finds a way in. I have Sharp air purifier + dehumidifier which has 'mold control' mode. It works pretty well. It has 'laundry dry' mode as well which I sometimes use during wet weather. Check out the user manual for rest of the features: https://in.sharp/b2c/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2020/10/DW-J27FV_J20FM_EN_20230426-1.pdf

About 24x7 operation: I cannot use my model for long time during harsh winters in Gobargaon, as the evaporator gets coated in frost pretty quickly. It then flip-flops between dehumidify and ice-melt modes. Similarly, I can't use it during peak summers, as it struggles to bring down the humidity. Here, AC works beautifully to support the dehumidifier. AC brings down the overall temperature which helps dehumidifier to work at its full capacity. This combination makes my room comfortable within few minutes.

Attachments

• Flyer - Sharp Dehumidifier DW-J20FM-W.pdf
    498.9 KB · Views: 23
Option 2: AC + Dehumidifier
This combo is good for Mumbai weather. You can use dehumidifier to compliment AC's dehumidification abilities. Because Mumbai doesn't have extreme temperatures, you can use dehumidifier in winters too.
yeah, that's what i will probably do, but first only dehumidifier and see how it works. I think ac has use case only in peak summer for me, but lets see.

I use dehumidifier for several things even though it didn't serve the purpose I bought it for
Did it always not work for you ? Did you try to get warranty support ? Or you mean the winter temps are too low and in summer temp rise from using it was too much for it to be useful.
I see it uses 260w. there is a lot of difference in efficiency of different models ( or specs are wrong). Sharp models seem to be less efficient vs powerpye best models.
Power pye has 15L/145w, 20L/320w, 30L/260w, 12L/175w? Also i did see some amazon reviews where people were happy with noise and heat ( hopefully not fake ).

1) For how long have you been using it ? Ever had to get it serviced ?
2)
How well does 'Humidity Select' work ? The 10L Sharp model i think does not have this.

Thanks for manual, good info on what precautions to take. Power pye does not seem to provide much.

-------------------------

I tried to calculate how much water will be in my room air. Room is small, perhaps about 14 * 12 * 9 feet after considering furniture. So ~43 m^3.
As per https://www.tis-gdv.de/tis_e/misc/klima.htm/
At 30C, absolute humidity at 100% RH is 30.4 gm/m3
So max room can contain 43 * 30.4 = 1.3L of water and to get from 100% to 60%RH, we need to extract about 0.5 ml of water.
Similarly at 25C room will have about 1L of water and at 35C, around 1.7L

In a closed room, air change should be low, so hopefully even 12L models should be enough for me and should clear out room within an hour. Dunno how optimistic this is.

For now, i am considering these options. I don't really need air purifier here, already have one.
Sharp models seems to use more power, not sure if they are better built and will last longer.

1) 30L/Day 260w 31.3k
2) 15L/Day 145 watts 21k - efficient, small 2.3L Tank, no wheels. Lightest.
3) 12 L/Day 175? Watts? Most popular

If this was a reputed company with good service, i would probably go for 1. More power than i need but that would also mean that it would clear out room quicker.
But not sure, this seems like Chinese re-label. Service is mixed, some are happy, some are not, and no service after warranty. So will take extra warranty from onsitego.
Found a few mentions in reddit and all seem to be happy.

So probably will go with the cheapest which also looks to be efficient - 2) and should be good enough for my room hopefully.
Will write them an email and confirm onsite warranty and specs and then we will see.

Last edited:
Did it always not work for you ? Did you try to get warranty support ?
I wanted to buy dehumidifier 8~10 years ago and back then they were pretty much non-existent in India. I wanted to try it with desert cooler. It wouldn't have worked as I wasn't aware of the fact that dehumidifiers throw warm air.

It's working fine so I haven't availed any warranty support or tried to contact Sharp service in India.

Or you mean the winter temps are too low and in summer temp rise from using it was too much for it to be useful.
Yes, this is presently an issue for me but I wasn't aware of it before buying.

I forget to mention earlier that I use room heater to help dehumidifier stay in its operating temperature range in winters, just like I do in summers with the help of AC.

I see it uses 260w. there is a lot of difference in efficiency of different models ( or specs are wrong). Sharp models seem to be less efficient vs powerpye best models.
India is world's dumping ground for obsolete stuff. My model looks outdated but I can assure you that none of the "Make in India China" versions can match its build quality.

Power pye has 15L/145w, 20L/320w, 30L/260w, 12L/175w? Also i did see some amazon reviews where people were happy with noise and heat ( hopefully not fake ).
I don't have problem with its operating noise but everytime the compressor stops, it wakes me up. Room suddenly becomes quite. People accustomed to window ACs won't face this problem. Heat is kind of bearable as the dry air makes you more comfortable. It's a trade-off.

1) For how long have you been using it ? Ever had to get it serviced ?
2)
How well does 'Humidity Select' work ? The 10L Sharp model i think does not have this.
1) It's been working trouble-free for the last 4 years. Fit and finish is still good, even though the tank needs to be detached from the unit regularly. No leakages and spills. No calls to service guys either.
2) It works as intended. It 'tries' to maintain the selected humidity level.

I tried to calculate how much water will be in my room air... In a closed room, air change should be low, so hopefully even 12L models should be enough for me and should clear out room within an hour. Dunno how optimistic this is.
Your calculations are correct. My 4-liter tank takes 2~3 days to fill up when humidity is low.
But it's very satisfying to see the tank getting full in one night in winters. I don't get to see condensation on window glass in the morning. And the dry air fixes jammed doors too!

For now, i am considering these options. I don't really need air purifier here, already have one.
Sharp models seems to use more power, not sure if they are better built and will last longer.
I didn't need air purifier either but I couldn't make out from the info available back then whether air-purify and dehumidify modes were mutually exclusive of each other. I found out after buying it that air purifying function works all time time, in all the modes.

Sharp power figures are with fan running in high speed setting. Not sure whether other guys are testing in the same manner. Sharp's compressor could be of older generation (because India). My model can direct air in many directions, so maybe more servos than other brands.

2) 15L/Day 145 watts 21k - efficient, small 2.3L Tank, no wheels. Lightest.
This one looks well built. But check with fellow Mumbaikars whether you'd need a high capacity one for your location.

But not sure, this seems like Chinese re-label. Service is mixed, some are happy, some are not, and no service after warranty. So will take extra warranty from onsitego.
Yes, it's not possible that India has started to make everything locally after Covid19.

Have you considered using a small DC water pump + hose that runs out the window? It's an inexpensive convenience
Bigger models don't need this workaround. There's an outlet to connect a hose for continuous drainage. I am currently not using this feature as I keep moving my unit around the house.

I can assure you that none of the "Make in India China" versions can match its build quality.
1) It's been working trouble-free for the last 4 years. Fit and finish is still good, even though the tank needs to be detached from the unit regularly. No leakages and spills. No calls to service guys either
yeah, that's good. Maybe ill buy sharp instead, wont have to go with unknown company with chinese designed models.

Only concern is high power usage. It actually uses 340W at 30C 80% RH (20L) as per this yt video ( 5:09 ).
Dunno why its this high vs powerpi 30L-260w and 15L-145w both at 30C 80% ( assuming numbers are true for powerpi).
There is no Energy Star certification either which powerpi does mention ...

In a closed room, once it meets target humidity, does heat from the unit come down drastically ?
Also, usually power efficiency is much worse at the highest settings, how useful are lower settings for dehumidification?
I like to run things at optimal settings vs full.

That plasmacluster thing looks interesting as i have asthma and allergies ( which is why i am looking at this as air purifier seems to be not enough ).

2) It works as intended. It 'tries' to maintain the selected humidity level.
But it's very satisfying to see the tank getting full in one night in winters
How big is the room ? 4L in one night seems quite a bit. Does it struggle to hit your levels ? 55%-60% seems like a good target.

I found out after buying it that air purifying function works all time time, in all the modes.
I think we can simply take out filters if we don't want air-purification. That might also reduce fan workload and fan power usage or increase airflow.

Sharp power figures are with fan running in high speed setting. Not sure whether other guys are testing in the same manner. Sharp's compressor could be of older generation (because India). My model can direct air in many directions, so maybe more servos than other brands.
ok. yeah, no third party tests so we cant know.

Anyway, thanks for your inputs, very useful.

Last edited:
Only concern is high power usage. It actually uses 340W at 30C 80% RH (20L) as per this yt video ( 5:09 ).
Dunno why its this high vs powerpi 30L-260w and 15L-145w both at 30C 80% ( assuming numbers are true for powerpi).
There is no Energy Star certification either which powerpi does mention ...
Either Sharp is mentioning correct figures (because they want to maintain their reputation) or they are dumping older compressors in India.
Powerpye's use of EnergyStar logo looks shady though. They are just saying that automatic shutoff saves energy. But they might've been using the newer, more efficient compressors.

I use many power tools from reputed companies and they all sell discontinued models in India. I still buy them because their build quality is extremely good. On the other hand, there are tons of small brands that sell latest Chinese stuff at low prices. Their tools are quite unreliable. I am making the same assumption with Powerpye - that they are using the latest stuff but skimping on the quality.

In a closed room, once it meets target humidity, does heat from the unit come down drastically ?
Yes, because then the compressor stops. Rest of the selections (fan speed, swing mode etc) keep working.

Also, usually power efficiency is much worse at the highest settings, how useful are lower settings for dehumidification?
If by lower settings you mean minimal moisture removal then it's quite quick in doing that. It reports 80-90% at the start for my room and then in few minutes reaches between 70-75%.
If you meant low humidity (40~50%) then that becomes difficult to achieve if it's out of its operating temperature range.
Usually I start to feel dry eyes when it reaches close to 60%. And I get nosebleeds too if I run it for too long.

That plasmacluster thing looks interesting as i have asthma and allergies ( which is why i am looking at this as air purifier seems to be not enough ).
It's pretty good. Much better than the ionizers available on other brands.

How big is the room ? 4L in one night seems quite a bit. Does it struggle to hit your levels ? 55%-60% seems like a good target.
I have high humidity in my house because it's at ground floor with some greenery. Rooms are from 197 to 220 sqft with attached bathrooms.
Yes, it struggles at 55%. I haven't gone too low because then I can't keep my eyes open. Just like high humidity, low humidity is also very uncomfortable.

I played with various settings in the beginning and then settled on Auto + 6 hours timer. This model sorely lacks a remote and memory function.

I have open kitchen, drawing room, dining and hall space. It's like 3.5~4 rooms of open space. Here I tested it non-stop for 5 days in mold-control mode. It takes whole night to make this area comfortable and then maintains it with ease.

I think we can simply take out filters if we don't want air-purification. That might also reduce fan workload and fan power usage or increase airflow.
Right!

This idea came to me pretty late... after 3 years of use. But when I removed the filters and saw its shiny blue evaporator in the brand new condition, I chucked this idea. Cleaning the ACs is a headache already and I didn't want to add another cleaning task to my list. :(

Back