Dehumidifier for the monsoons

mallik

Adept
So I stay in Mussoorie, and in monsoons everything gets damp and moldy here. Since it's not too cold, running the heater won't work.

I want to get a good dehumidifier for this purpose, but am not sure which one to get.

Most of the dehumidifiers available online work as 3 in one (dehumidifier/air purifier). I don't need the air purifier function

So, looking for suggestions on dehumidifier. Budget is ~20K. Capacity ~15-20L/day

I have looked at a few options from Origin, but don't really know how good they are in the long run.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks!

Why not use your AC in dry mode at 27-28C?
A dehumidifer usually works at 200-350W, so much cheaper to run than an AC.
OP - Instead of looking at Amazon, try finding sellers on Indiamart. You will find a lot more specialized option. A good dehumidfier is going to be expensive, but since you only need a basic one, you should get one between 20-30k.

Using what you have is cheaper than buying a new appliance for the amount you mention and only using it couple months a year.
Also an inverter AC is significantly cheaper in that aspect. Anyways OP's choice.

I live in the mountains where I don't think there is a requirement for an AC yet (who knows how it will be in 5-10 years). A dehumidifier is what I need. I will look up Indiamart as well, thanks @rdst_1 !

I live in the mountains where I don't think there is a requirement for an AC yet (who knows how it will be in 5-10 years). A dehumidifier is what I need. I will look up Indiamart as well, thanks @rdst_1 !
I have the exact same issue man. We rarely get to use fans for 2-3 months but the humidity during monsoons is very bad, especially for me because my house is right in the middle of my fields. I remember contacting Origin directly as well. Try finding a model which has a big storage or a pipe which you can put out of the window, otherwise you will be continuously emptying the water storage. Also, CFM and ACH matters a lot during performance.

I have the exact same issue man. We rarely get to use fans for 2-3 months but the humidity during monsoons is very bad, especially for me because my house is right in the middle of my fields. I remember contacting Origin directly as well. Try finding a model which has a big storage or a pipe which you can put out of the window, otherwise you will be continuously emptying the water storage. Also, CFM and ACH matters a lot during performance.
Did you manage to get one for yourself?

Yes as i mentioned it is only for a small space of about 150 sqft.
You can even try one of the small electric dehumidifiers.
They remove about 250ml per day.

Has anyone tried these moisture/humidity absorbers?

These are supposed to work well for closets and cupboards. A friend just today mentioned it. Here in Mussoorie, it is imperative to use some desiccant to keep mould away.
Thinking of buying this one. It doesn't have 20L capacity, as I want, but it has a continuous drainage option, and decent specs.

Last edited:
So I stay in Mussoorie, and in monsoons everything gets damp and moldy here. Since it's not too cold, running the heater won't work.

I want to get a good dehumidifier for this purpose, but am not sure which one to get.

Most of the dehumidifiers available online work as 3 in one (dehumidifier/air purifier). I don't need the air purifier function

So, looking for suggestions on dehumidifier. Budget is ~20K. Capacity ~15-20L/day

I have looked at a few options from Origin, but don't really know how good they are in the long run.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks!
See if you can locate the Honeywell ones. I used them in the past, straight up and simple dehumidifier!

Has anyone tried these moisture/humidity absorbers?

I have used this one. It is suitable for small spaces like cabinets and closets.
However it does absorb moisture in the room as well.
I have placed 2 in the room for better effect and they both collect water.

Why not use your AC in dry mode at 27-28C?

Mussoorie homes do not even have fans. A/C..? The moisture the OP is referring to here, is caused by the monsoon mist/fog which brings in fine water droplets into the homes. The fog runs non-stop June/July/August and everything is wet and moldy. Doors get stuck, clothes do not dry, everything is moldy. Best you can do is keep high wattage bulbs on in cupboards, run a 12-fin oil heater periodically to drive out the droplets.

(am too from Mussoorie) :)

Back