Deleting the Un-Deletables

digen

Disciple
I'm not sure if this is the correct section to post this,Mods please move this to the appropriate just in case.

How many times have you tried deleting that file & it wont go whatever you do?
After reading the below compilation I'm sure all problems will be solved. :eek:hyeah:

Here is a perfect scenario that I've gone through when deleting the undeletables. It was like going through hell and back.

I was working with some PhotoShop files (*.psd) and after I was done, I saved them on my desktop. Since I didn't have any need for them later on, I had a brilliant idea. I thought, why not just DELETE them? Little, did I know that at times, my Microsoft OS wouldn't let me. For some reason, It kept on giving an error (another program or person is using this file) and won't delete these particular files.

As with anything annoying on computers, I had to look up way around it. After tons of searching for answers on the net here is what I found.

If you ever come across something similar, here are few of many things you can do:
Work Around 1
Go to Start/Run/CMD and type in: RD /S [drive:] path
Work Around 2
Open Notepad and save the (blank) file with the name of the undeletable file. Under save as, navigate to the file, delete.
Work Around 3
Move the file into a new directory and then delete the directory.
Work Around 4
Close all open apps. Open a command prompt (Start/Run/CMD) and navigate to the directory with the offending file(s). Then open the Task Manager and click on the Processes tab, select "explorer.exe" under Image Name. Click "End Process".

In the opened Command Prompt, DEL the offending files (DEL *.mpg, DEL mus*.avi, DEL test.wmv, etc.) Once done, go back to the task manager and click on the Applications tab. Click the "New Task..." button. in the dialog, type explorer.exe and click OK.
Work Around 5
Try moving the folder to C: & from Explorer delete the file.
Work Around 6
Try booting your computer from Safe Mode and try removing from there.

Contd...

Also mentioned in the above url are tools to get the job done :hap2:

for movie files i select list view....mark the file..press delete and almost at the same time move to a different file using arrow keys and press enter to delete...voila its gone to my bin :)

Bah .. Diggy, I am sure he didnt tried those "workaround" himself .. It wont work ..
To delete those undeletable files, you need to close the handle of the application that is using it .. And it is not always Explorer.exe which is using it .. Anyways ..
These are the two utilities that I feel can be useful :
DelLater
and WhoLockMe

Abay bat, I know sometimes those manually DIY solutions dont work.But have you checked the link I've given,there are software mentioned there like WhoLocMe DiamondCS DelLater.I think you didnt checkout that link I gave.

Whoa I have such a file on my desktop, which wont even delete in safe mode. Will give this a try. BTW for Win 98 users nothing like MS dos

Yeah aces safe mode isnt the solution which works always.But I found that those programs mentioned there do a good job.You may as well try them out.

Back