Delhi gangrape protests

I do not think he will walk free.
His age has been confirmed after going through his school records. Hence, termed juvenile.

Now how the govt wants to proceed and what laws needs to modified to ensure he is punished is still pending.

I doubt that can happen while the case is running. It would be "twisting the law"; if they do an amendment. As per the technicality; he cannot stay in the juvenile home once he hits 18, and cannot be tried further. I guess it is: a loop-in-the-law + double jeopardy.

His life is finished, he will be tracked by cops all the time & any rape incident will happen, people like him will be picked up first.

Major festivals, social gatherings, political meetings, elections etc, this Guy will be jailed 48 hrs prior to it & released 48hrs later after its over.

^^
I hope that is the case.

Btw, how about setting a swarm of juveniles on him and get him bumped off? I mean they will be juveniles who ll take him out..no? / rant

As a juvi, he can't vote, can't drink, can't drive but he CAN rape and get off with max 3 yrs or 18 yrs (whichever comes first), no matter whether he is the main instigator. A very bad precedent is being set. The sad part is that even if JJ act is amended now, to lower the Juvi age, it can't be applied to this case. The Juvi is gonna go scot free under probation.

Our political class didn't give a thought to JJ act even when Kasab pleaded guilty that he is juvi !! No vision in our administrators.

That guy isn't some petty thief. He has raped a girl. Brutally.
Why the fk is he not tried as an adult?

Sadly that is what the constitution and judiciary is for. Though I was wondering, what if he crosses the juvenile while the case is "running". Then what..?

Sadly that is what the constitution and judiciary is for. Though I was wondering, what if he crosses the juvenile while the case is "running". Then what..?

His age at the time of crime is taken into consideration. The really sad thing is that even if he is given a punishment in the juvenile court, he would have to be let free once he is 18 years. So for example if the culprit committed the crime at the age of 17 years 9 months and the court, he would go free in 3 months regardless of the punishment given. In this particular case, if this guy is treated as a juvenile, he would go free by June this year when he completes 18 years. So you can say there is no punishment for him at all. The others would also end up with not so big punishments since they would probably be treated as accomplices since the juvenile is the main culprit.

^^ Does this apply for all crimes? If a 17 year old commits say a terrorist attack and kills thousands, he'd still be let free once he is 18?

^^ Does this apply for all crimes? If a 17 year old commits say a terrorist attack and kills thousands, he'd still be let free once he is 18?

Sadly yes. The law doesn't takes into account the severity of crime. Had Kasab been less than 18, he would have gone scot free.

Back