Delhi gangrape protests

What a God damn circus.

Lawyer: Police Beat New Delhi Gang Rape Suspects - ABC News

Now the boy is being blamed, and as usual the cops messed up the evidence collection process and were harsh and ruthless. I have a bad bad feeling some of these guys are going to go off light.

Of course that's not going to happen. It would be hard for the judge to go against the protesters and media even if he thinks the accused do not deserve death. It's unfortunate that the accused had to face police brutality.

Of course that's not going to happen. It would be hard for the judge to go against the protesters and media even if he thinks the accused do not deserve death. It's unfortunate that the accused had to face police brutality.

I do not know. But I heard on the radio: That one of the guys was subjected to third-degree, and a device was pushed up his sphincter; to extract a confession.

sorry for off topic post

when there is fear there will be some reluctance to commit the crime. And if the punishment is going to be very strict atleast the person will think twice before commiting the crime.
It is shocking to hear so many cases coming up in news paper and tv channels in such a short span of time.

Two factors are important:
1. The upbringing of the person
2. The environment where the person was brought up

The brave girl lost her life because of that b@sta$%. They should not leave him easily. He should be lashed in front of public....

clear your inbox

Well don't know this being about fun but will instill fear in people with criminal motives & about police force issue, currently its just better then nothing.

Why can't it be fun, that way more women will be out on the streets shooting down rapists, no? The govt. should announce cash rewards for the women depending on the number of confirmed kills they have.

I do not know. But I heard on the radio: That one of the guys was subjected to third-degree, and a device was pushed up his sphincter; to extract a confession.

Confession recorded by the police have no legal standing in court and will be ignored by any Judge.
A confession recorded before a magistrate or judge however can used to declare a verdict.

People talk about the 3rd degree thing as its legal Police procedure .. Any kind of physical harm brought to person in custody is equally punishable.

Confession recorded by the police have no legal standing in court and will be ignored by any Judge.
A confession recorded before a magistrate or judge however can used to declare a verdict.

People talk about the 3rd degree thing as its legal Police procedure .. Any kind of physical harm brought to person in custody is equally punishable.

I know. But their lawyer is going to use this against the verdict. Do you not see, how the case is turning.

I know. But their lawyer is going to use this against the verdict. Do you not see, how the case is turning.

This is why I feel the 'speedy' trials that everyone wants it not such a good idea.
Better to do it right than quick. Cops are not trained to handle & investigate such sensitive cases, they will ultimately resort to their old brash tactics which will impact the prosecution.

From what I know about the case there is
- Testimony of the male victim who is the only witness to the crime. He has already visually identified the suspects to the police.
- DNA evidence from the rape. Hopefully this is there. IIRC the male victim was unconscious when the rapes happened so he can not testify to that.
- Few of the alleged rapists might be pleading guilty .. so they can also in turn testify against the others for a lighter sentencing.

How do you mean ..? As in the victims dying declaration, I don't think there is any legal provision to admit that as evidence ..

Nope, under the CrPC the girls statement given to the magistrate can be submitted in this case as her dying declaration.....

Court may feel to accept it or ignore it, but its admissible...

nice.. thanks for the info ..

Technically , Its just a signed recorded statement of just like any other made before a magistrate .. nothing related to victims dying passing away.
Since the victim cannot be produced before court to be cross-questioned by the defense .. its rightly at the discretion of the court to consider it.

If the victims statements match or corroborates the other evidence then it should certainly be admissible.

A day after people in Singapore observed a day to honor the girl, the main accused has been declared a juvenile.. effectively ensuring he ll walk free in June when he turns 18.

Do people really believe he ll be able to grow a brain within these few months ?
This case should have been dealt with swiftly and with the objective to make an example with the punishment. Retroactive law initiation is that dead here ?

Not good.
In some ways that will ease off the fear among 'juveniles'; some may think they can do anything and then walk off lightly. Had this been handled the other way, would have set an example and acted as deterrent.

I do not think he will walk free.
His age has been confirmed after going through his school records. Hence, termed juvenile.

Now how the govt wants to proceed and what laws needs to modified to ensure he is punished is still pending.

Back