Delhi-Manali-Leh/Ladakh Need advice

kuld33p

Disciple
Guys, I am planning to goto Leh/Ladakh from 2nd July to 8th July.

Please advice me on the trip. Do's Don'ts and How tos. Really need someone expert opinion.

Some questions are like:

Are 7-8 Days enough to enjoy the beauty?
Best way to travel during the journey.
Cost of accommodation during this time.
If someone can suggest itinerary then it would be great.

Thanks
Kuldeep

kuld33p said:
Guys, I am planning to goto Leh/Ladakh from 2nd July to 8th July.

Please advice me on the trip. Do's Don'ts and How tos. Really need someone expert opinion.

Some questions are like:

Are 7-8 Days enough to enjoy the beauty?

Best way to travel during the journey.

Cost of accommodation during this time.

If someone can suggest itinerary then it would be great.

Thanks

Kuldeep

7-8 days as in time spent in Leh or the total time you have (traveling included) ? I'd say 10 days are ideal to enjoy most of what Ladakh has to offer, 7-8 days would also do. (Traveling excluded)

If you would be going via Manali, then you'd need to keep a look at here -->Manali - Leh road status 2011 - India Travel Forum, BCMTouring

And for all other things like what to do there and how to reach etc. etc. Read this ---> Ladakh Travel Guide | BCMTouring

This is what I did -

Delhi - Leh by air. Travelled around Ladhak in cars for 7-8 days. Covered Thikse, Alchi, Nubra Valley (which includes Disket and Khardung la) and Pangong Tso.

Then started driving to Manali. Covered Tso Moriri and a couple of other places that I don't remember. Basically 3 nights on the way to Manali, one at Tso Moriri and 2 others and 2 different places..

Spent a night in Manali.. Flew back to Delhi!

By air is not in picture. Not enough money to spend.

I have already booked the Volvo tickets from Delhi to Manali.

I need further information from Manali to Leh. I don't want to spend much time in Manali. So all of my time will be spent everywhere except Manali.

I am thinking of going by bike from Manali. Will I get any bikes on rent in Manali and Can I get a bike from Manali to Leh and leave the bike there and take a Bus from there to Manali.

Also my trip includes my travel time as well. so in all I have 7-8 days max.

Thanks

Kuldeep

Very difficult to do a Manali Leh trip in 7-8 trips. You need at least 2 days to cover from Manali to Leh, and if you want to enjoy it, 3 days. The bus back to Manali takes two days. If you start for Manali in the evening and have 8 days in hand, this leaves you with 3 days to roam around Ladakh (except for Tso Moriri, which you can cover en route to Leh from Manali). At the most you can cover Alchi-Lamayuru (1 day), Pangong - 1 day (if you push it), and you can keep one day for Khardung La Top and for Leh town (Shanti Stupa and Leh Palace). But this is like tightly packed. No room for any break down.

As for hiring a bike, you can do it from Manali, but I believe you have to return it back there. You can check it on the biking forums. May not be the case.

But I suggest that you keep at least 10 days Delhi - Delhi.

Cheers!

Mallik

8 Days not sufficient esp if you are thinking to travel by Bike,

You require minimum of 10 Days, Pangong Tso is the best of the entire lot... try spending a night over there, Tents for 2-3 People available for Rs.500.00 Approx, food it okay at Pangong Tso,

If you are the adventurous type only then consider going by bike, remember there are couple of places where Changing a type may not be available in 70-75 KM on either sides, please carry Tubes,Puncher Repair Kits, Clutch Wires etc with you, Pulsar is comfortable, Royal Enfield is very comfortable by prone to break downs, you will surely find travellers willing to help you if something wrong happens,

Food will not be a problem, there are small tents/shed where you can stay for the night available for Rs.50.00/100.00 its small and cozy, you will have to share the tends with 10 other people as well.

As for your camera batteries they will charge down pretty fast on account of the cold, try carrying couple of spares, and have them wrapped in paper/cloth etc to keep them in warm temperature.

Beware of AMS, check with your medic and carry your medicines to avoid any health scares.

hmasalia said:
8 Days not sufficient esp if you are thinking to travel by Bike,

You require minimum of 10 Days, Pangong Tso is the best of the entire lot... try spending a night over there, Tents for 2-3 People available for Rs.500.00 Approx, food it okay at Pangong Tso,

If you are the adventurous type only then consider going by bike, remember there are couple of places where Changing a type may not be available in 70-75 KM on either sides, please carry Tubes,Puncher Repair Kits, Clutch Wires etc with you, Pulsar is comfortable, Royal Enfield is very comfortable by prone to break downs, you will surely find travellers willing to help you if something wrong happens,

Food will not be a problem, there are small tents/shed where you can stay for the night available for Rs.50.00/100.00 its small and cozy, you will have to share the tends with 10 other people as well.

As for your camera batteries they will charge down pretty fast on account of the cold, try carrying couple of spares, and have them wrapped in paper/cloth etc to keep them in warm temperature.

Beware of AMS, check with your medic and carry your medicines to avoid any health scares.
What is AMS?

Just got back last week from delhi -> leh -> manali ->delhi

1. 7- 8 day enough ... if you travel by air ... Need min 4 - 5 full days for leh. But by bike atleast 10 + .

2. Shared Taxi is best way to travel , Private taxi from manali to leh is Rs 14k + , The HTDC Bus also goes Rs 1800 / ticket ( One night stop over at keylong ) . Local Leh-Manali mini Bus is Rs 1800 ( Canon ball run with 18 hours no stop ). Leh Manali is the best highway i have been on , i recommend go by taxi and stop at places to enjoy the beauty.

3 . Accommodation is almost minimal on Leh manali highway ( Keylong and sarchu u can stop over ) . Carry Cash for the whole trip from delhi.

Carry basic meds for Altitude sickness. This will have answer to most of your queries DeViL on WheeLs…

AMS Acute Mountain Sickness, it can happend due to change in altitude, you might feel drozy, pukish, severe headache, etc. Google up for more details...
When I made my bike trip from Delhi Leh,
Manali Leh Road were not so great please check up whats the current status.

take around 15 to 20k to be on the safer side, you can always carry your ATM card, there two 2 Banks with ATM there, SBI & J&K Bank if you need more cash.
Food in Leh is awesome... Try the various cuisine over there and dont miss out on the rafting....

Back