Delhi People...Need some help

raksrules

Elite
I and my wife will be travelling to New Delhi at the end of this month for a couple of days. Landing there on 30th night (10 PM types) and will be leaving on 01st April. My company is providing me accommodation for one day and for another i need to pay from my pocket. Now i am trying to find a reasonably priced (cheaper the better) hotel in / near Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri area. But i think this is quiet an expensive proposition and i have been given stay in a hotel named Park Residency (ashirwad building, green park) but it costs around 3500 a day. I checked on internet and see that this hotel is not worth this amount and i dont want to spend this kind of price for the extra day i am going to spend there.
Hence i am looking for another options and found some hotels in Pahar Ganj / Karol Baug area of New Delhi. Let me know if this area is good enough. I am trying to get some sub 1.5k/2k hotel here since i know i am not going to spend my entire day in the hotel room.
Any suggestions in this regard is appreciated.

Karol Bagh Is a central Place with Metro Connectivity..

I will say to avoid Paharganj area...I know 2-3 good hotels near karol bagh where our company use to book rooms for official purposes....

I will pm you my no, in case u need more details

^^ Can you list down the hotel names here ??

I know of one named Sunrise which is like 1.3k per day.

I will check the rates of other hotels that you (and others) may suggest.

Any particular reason for avoiding Paharganj area ??

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Roxtin said:
You can try Ginger hotels for a cheaper option. It is a TATA venture.

Ginger Hotels
Checked but am not keen on booking through them since they arent listed on hotel booking websites like hotels.com which give me flexibility of canceling my booking upto last moment without any cancellation fees (if need arises)

Hotel Grand President-Karol Bagh

Hotel relax inn- South Patel Nagar

Will give you more names by tmrw,,,,

There are many hotels in Karol Bagh...

^They are available on Makemytrip :D

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Paharganj area is not good atleast not when you are with wifey :p

Roxtin said:
Paharganj area is not good atleast not when you are with wifey :p
Paharganj is best when you are coming alone and want cheapest Room to stay.

Prices as low as Rs150 per day are there in many hotels.....

Avoid Pahar Ganj / Karol Baug if with a lady. Just pay the extra you have for Green Park. It is south Delhi so is good.

^^ I know but you see even the hotel that my company is providing is not good enough for the cost they are charging is ridiculous and moreover since for the additional day i wont be staying in hotel except nights and have plans of exploring the city full day.

Basically Pahar Ganj and Karol Bagh are quite seedy at night. There are some good hotels there -- but make it a point (if with a lady) to get off AT the hotel entrance and board a cab FROM the hotel. Do not walk around at night. Night life is quite different from Mumbai and Bangalore per say.

Though m.khurana mentioned some corporate lodges, those would be safe for sure. Ask him.

What other areas can i look forward to ??

Hotels at Greenpark area are indeed expensive and similar hotels in other areas are for like less than half the price :S

Cannot give any suggestions with regard to the hotels, but please get a ride in the DMRC if you can. You will love it. :)

asingh said:
Basically Pahar Ganj and Karol Bagh are quite seedy at night. There are some good hotels there -- but make it a point (if with a lady) to get off AT the hotel entrance and board a cab FROM the hotel. Do not walk around at night. Night life is quite different from Mumbai and Bangalore per say.

Though m.khurana mentioned some corporate lodges, those would be safe for sure. Ask him.
Sorry for being a grammer nazi, but you surely meant per se.

On topic - As said by asingh and others, Delhi nightlife is a whole lot different than Pune/Mumbai. Please take proper precautions and roam by day only if possible! :)

one of colleague has stayed in the following hotel with his family
and he was quite satisfied.

Hotel sweet home
Akarshan Road
Paharganj New Delhi
Rates are 1.5/1.6 K
It is in front of Hotel Ajanta Deluxe

As of now for backup purpose have booked in a hotel named Sunrise in Karol Baug through hotels.com. Can cancel the booking with full refund uptil 27th March.

IMHO I would avoid places like Karol Bagh and Paharganj regardless of whether ur with a woman or not. Those are not very "hygienic" places to stay, if you know what I mean. If you have work in Shanti Path then the best place for you is South Delhi. Places like Green Park, SDA, Hauz Khas, Saket etc which fall on the metro line would be ideal as they would give you the freedom to move around and explore the city using the metro and hence avoid the nasty TSRs of Delhi. You can now even take the metro to the airport. Check out some Bed'n'Breakfast type joints which opened by the truck loads due to CWG and offer rooms at reasonable rates (starting at 1200). These are basically residential buildings where the owners had spare rooms or floors which they converted into guest rooms. Pretty safe and comfy. I would say that would be your best bet. You can find a list of approved Bed'n'Breakfast on the Delhi Tourism site I think. Its just for a day so no big deal. What all do you plan to see in Delhi anyway? If its the historical monuments and all that stuff, check out the HoHo bus service (another relic of the CWG) or the Delhi Darshan, both run by Delhi Tourism.

I would say Park Residency is good value for money considering its location. You can even check out Hotel Shiv, Golden Tulip, Ambika Palace, Parkland Hotel (its a chain of guest houses Parkland Hotels & Resorts: Largest Group Of Deluxe Budget Hotels In Delhi India | Official Site) which are in the general area but the rates would be more or less the same. Considering its just for a day, IMO you should look for a decent well connected place to stay rather than concentrate on saving 1.5 - 2k. Thats just my opinion though.

Back