Laptops Dell Inspiron 15 DOS version bought, without knowledge

ani_meher

Disciple
My friend has bought a Dell Inspiron 15 hardly a month ago. When we tried to register it to Dell Win7 upgrade, somehow we couldn't. The laptop came with XP preinstalled, as the seller said that most ppl go with Vista and come back to install XP. That friend is computer illiterate mostly, so she fell for this.

Today, when she asked the seller for the Windows Vista copy, he said it was a DOS version with no preinstalled OS. We confirmed this even with Dell by the service tag. The price she paid for the laptop is bit more than what would cost today with Win7 and laptop shipped.

This is totally shocking for her. While I know she should have checked whether the XP was geniune or not, but can she be helped in any way?

1. Is Dell selling these DOS only laptops anymore?
2. Can this be a case of cheating on part of the dealer?
3. She has the bill, that clearly tells that it costed more than what should've costed with OEM Win7, so does this help a bit?
4. Is there anyway to get Win7 OEM, or does she have to shell out full money to microsoft, or stuck with piracy the whole time?

Ahh one more old and common story but dont worry my friend its natural these shit dealers just find this type of deal to make people fool. Now things you can do.

1. Try to get win7 for cheap like student get form msdn.
2. We cant see cheat but a mistake done from your side by buying things w/o proper knowledge.
3. Dell do sell laptop with dos loaded.
Best of luck

Yep. I think she is in soup, and have to shell out extra money for Win7. We will see whether she can get anyone to get student's discount.

Her brother is in Potdar College, Mumbai, but that college is not registered with MS. Can the college be registered?

Back