Dell Latitude D610 for Rs. 1500

rocker123

Adept
I want to find out whether this is a good deal or not.
My co. is disposing the phased out laptops.

DELL LATITUDE D610 without power adapter and bag for Rs. 1500

Please suggest is it a good deal, details of the exact deal mentioned below:

"We are in the process of disposing off 33 laptops out of which 16 could be in working condition or could be brought into working condition with some repairs, rest all being scrapped. The laptops are 5-6 years old and out of warranty. These are being disposed off on “as is where basis†without any commitment that “these would work without any repair†or “with some repairs†or “would not work at allâ€. Accordingly, the company does not assume any responsibility on the working condition or workability of the laptop. None of the laptops have any adapters with them and will have to be purchased by the buyer from the market.
Before we offer the laptops for disposal to a third party, we wish to offer these (16 nos.) to the employees at a nominal price of Rs.1,500/- per laptop. There will also be a small liability of income tax of Rs.100-Rs.300 as the assets are being sold to the employee (or any other member of the household).

Please suggest whether i should go for it or not ??

Yea man . Go for it.

Even if works half well it is a good amount to invest.

Also , It can work as a Download rig also . ;)

question is do you want to gamble ?

if yes, then yeah, else know. 1.5k is nothing much to lose. So as long as the laptops starts up then u get a reasonable deal for a working laptop. Mind you the procy is going to be mostly P-IIIM or similar, so if you plan to surf then discard the option as there might be too low memory

But on the risks side, you might end up with a laptop whose motherboard conked off. Disk drive for a 5 year old lappy is going to be mostly a 40gb one and might have bad sectors, ram should be 256 mb, if mobo is gone, u cant even sell of the hdd/ram.

I wudnt really touch the deal, unless I really needed a laptop for bridge period, or I really like to take a risk for the sake of taking it :p

Ok, as per you recommendations, i have raised a request for 1.

1 employee can raise only 1 request.

There would be a draw, listing out the 16 people. lets see if i manage to get one

Something similar happened at my brother's office...They gave away Dell Latitude with Core2duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD for 2k....They formatted it completely and just loaded DOS when they gave it away.

I have some resources in my IT dept, had asked them about the condition of these laptops.

He said that the laptops are decent enough, would certainly do the job of a download rig.

Plus he said that surely the battery backup would not be more than 30 mins.

But he also gave me a solution to it..

so lets see if my name comes in the draw..

Lots of people, and only 16 laptops. :(

The lucky draw was held today.
Out of 160, 16 people were getting the laptop...
And guess what ..........................
I GOT ONE :)
Would upload the pics soon..

Congrats! With that sort of probability, you are very fortunate to have won one! :D

Let us know how good the present functionality is.

Perfect working condition.. Great cosmetic condition as well...

Would post specs and pics once im back from office.
Certainly a steal deal for 1500.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Once the 16 people were announced,there was a draw for picking up a laptop among the 16 laptops as well.

So basically you cannot chose among the 16 laptops, chit system with service tags.

Luckily, i got the one of the best :)

1 hr 15 mins backup, 1GB Ram, Pentium M 1.8Ghz, Genuine Windows installed, 40 GB HDD

Now the rest 15 who got the laptop: (All Complaining and kicking the IT guys)

1) All the rest of the laptops except 2 had 0 battery backup, you need to plug the charger to work on it.

2) Faulty display screens in 5 laptops

3) 2 of them had motherboard problem (Not working)

4) Almost all of them were physically damaged (wear and tear all over the body), 3 were in good cosmetic condition including mine

5) Most of the laptops had 256 or 512 RAM ( I got 1 GB)

6) My boss stopped talking to me once i won the laptop, he was jumping all over my head before the draw happen, but once the draw results were out, he was silently sitting in his cabin (mentally disturbed, lolzz)

Here you go with the pics :

e9mkq.jpg

ZD7N4.jpg

cu2w1.jpg

S78ka.jpg

OS8Rx.jpg

TUDhX.jpg

r0VzM.jpg

My boss stopped talking to me once i won the laptop, he was jumping all over my head before the draw happen, but once the draw results were out, he was silently sitting in his cabin (mentally disturbed, lolzz)

LOL, congrats dude, great deal + luck indeed

can you predict some numbers for me for next weeks lottery :bleh:

poseidon said:
LOL, congrats dude, great deal + luck indeed

can you predict some numbers for me for next weeks lottery :bleh:

Lol...

Last month, My office had a get together party.

There was a lucky draw held at the event.

Approx 350 people in that party, each employee had to drop his visiting card at the entrance.

Lucky draw was held at the event, the prize was a 2500 Shoppers Stop gift voucher.

Guess who won ?? ;)

My colleagues feel that i have a good setting with the top management .. lol...

Dude i can predict a few numbers for next week's lottery, but in return please guide me on Cracking the CAT exam :D

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

mehrotra.akash said:
Congrats!

I have used similar ones

Keep it handy, you can use it as a weapon in case someone attacks you

Haha .. I could have got a more deadly weapon (D800), but was lucky enough to get a smaller weapon .. :)

Back