Have you provided two pics?
  1. Yes
Remaining Warranty Period
NA
Invoice Available?
No
Reason for Sale
Upgraded
On this giveaway is a Dell Power Edge 2950, 1U rack server. Has 6 hot-swap bays with 4 15k rpm SAS DRIVES, 300gb each. 4gb ECC memory, quad core processor E5430. Dual CPU capable. Has dual redundant 750w PSU's.

After retiring from the establishment years ago, plugged it in today and it came to life(photos attached). May need some loving before you can deploy it fully. Have removed all data so formatting on RAID array/os install etc will be required.
It's heavy so choose to ship it wisely. It will be on giveaway for a week. Kindly post why you should get it and the thing is yours. The most genuine user will get it. Will call upon a mod @TechHead to finalize who the recipient would be.
If no on get's it in a week, will scrap it for parts. Don't send PM's. All discussions on the thread only.
Good luck.

P.S: It consumes 300~400W idle. That's why it was retired, so using it as a NAS (unless you have free electricity) may not be the best use case.
As the giveaway is of a used/pre-owned item, I resolve myself of your inability to get it to work the way you desire.

Attachments

• IMG-20221002-WA0075.jpg
    IMG-20221002-WA0075.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG-20221002-WA0074.jpg
    IMG-20221002-WA0074.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG-20221002-WA0072.jpg
    IMG-20221002-WA0072.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG-20221002-WA0073.jpg
    IMG-20221002-WA0073.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG-20221002-WA0071.jpg
    IMG-20221002-WA0071.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Hi! I'm a student and I'm constantly running out of space for my data and lectures (kinda a data hoarder). I also love photography and that's another thing filling up my drives. I have 3 1 TB hard drives that I have keep switching on the dock to browse the data so this would be a lifesaver. I've been looking for a long time for an affordable system to run as a NAS and would love to even buy something like this but so far have found nothing. I'd greatly appreciate finally having something that my data can call home...

I'll set it up as a lab after upgrading a couple of stuff for a cousin who's recently picked up networking and VM as a budding interest

P.S. Don't have a good day, have a great day!

Wanting to build a nas for the past 6 months but unable to do so as prebuilt nas are very expensive. I have 2x3tb drives lying around but i am unable to put them to use. This baby will be great for my needs.. it fits perfectly.

Hi! I'm a student and I'm constantly running out of space for my data and lectures (kinda a data hoarder). I also love photography and that's another thing filling up my drives. I have 3 1 TB hard drives that I have keep switching on the dock to browse the data so this would be a lifesaver. I've been looking for a long time for an affordable system to run as a NAS and would love to even buy something like this but so far have found nothing. I'd greatly appreciate finally having something that my data can call home...
Would like to add that since I'll be living at my college hostel for quite a while, electricity isn't a problem and that I'm willing to pay shipping. I also have an aunt at Bhopal and can ask her family to pick it up.

It's a really nice gesture @Mann !
Hopefully it'll go to someone who can put it to good use.

Whoever is thinking of taking this, keep this in mind when taking it:
  1. It's heavy, @Mann said it's around 30Kgs.
  2. The rack consumes a lot of power. So the operational cost would be pretty high if you plan to run it 24x7
  3. The Xeon E5430 has low performance compared to modern chips BUT since it's a server grade processor, it'll be a bit more reliable. The rack likely uses ECC ram too which lets you run servers (software) more stably over time. Likely very useful for ZFS too.

@Mann, If you eventually decide to scrap it for parts. Could you give/sell me the PSUs and the motherboard? The board has components that I could use in my electronics projects which are expensive to buy in small quantities. Cheap PSUs are also useful as both a source for parts as well as (if working or made to work) a good addition to my bench power supply. Same thing goes if you have any other working / non-working boards meant for scrap.

Great gesture! I think people are underestimating the electricity requirements. I have a basic PC running as an unraid server that I access remotely which even with it's low power consumption has a dent on thr bill.

Good luck to everyone.

Would like to add that since I'll be living at my college hostel for quite a while, electricity isn't a problem and that I'm willing to pay shipping. I also have an aunt at Bhopal and can ask her family to pick it up.
At 300-400W Idle, I hope along with free electricity, your college hostel will also provide free AC and free sound dampening material.

At 300-400W Idle, I hope along with free electricity, your college hostel will also provide free AC and free sound dampening material.
Lol we run 1k-2k Watt heaters in our rooms in the winters, some keep fridges and microwave ovens. Our classes have AC that run all day even when no one's in them. Central Universities don't care at all. Though TBH 3-400W is kinda worrisome for something that can be left running 24X7

Last edited:
For people who think this will be a good NAS please avoid yourself a hassle since this is way overkill for it and you'll have a lot of expense added to your electricity bill. This is not your typical old PC you can put to a small use case.

As for noise, take a look at this...

Back