Dell Streak Broken Screen (where to get the replacement)

poseidon

Disciple
My DS 5" fell from 3 feet and its LCD screen got broke, can someone tell me where can I get the LCD screen replacement in India, preferably in Bangalore ?

only 3 feet? My Dad also uses a streak and his handling of the phone isn't world class. Does anyone know how this can be prevented. Would those full body shield thingies help in avoiding this?

funkysourav said:
isn't Gorilla Glass supposed to be invulnerable?

ha ha..Gorilla glass is not literally indestructible, and it is still quite possible to shatter your Phone's screen. But it's harder than it used to be.

I assume that there might have been a direct impact with something pointed that led to shattering! still it requires a lot of force to shatter the screen! :)

unni said:
Did you get it fixed? How much did it cost you? From where you got the replacement?

@Unni, I did contacted dell on numbers you provided, thanks, Dell said they will charge Rs 14,000 and will give me new DS.
Thanks to Varkey,I ordered it through ebay seller as DELL was asking to replace it for 10,600 + Rs 3000+ warranty. This ebay screen is only costing me Rs 2200 on ebay, if it doesn't work out, I will have to go through official DELL route of shelling out 14k to get new DS

manu1991 said:
only 3 feet? My Dad also uses a streak and his handling of the phone isn't world class. Does anyone know how this can be prevented. Would those full body shield thingies help in avoiding this?

the built quality of DS is a joke,its back paint came out in first 1 hour of usage! Dell is selling it for $400 when they should be selling it for $199. The screen is the only good thing about it. BTW, I was using otterbox protection too and still the screen got broke the very first time it fall. Otterbox cover IMO is almost useless.

funkysourav said:
isn't Gorilla Glass supposed to be invulnerable?
My DS glass is fine but the LCD screen got broke. Gorilla glass don't get scratches but what is the point if screen keeps on getting broke with minor falls. My Blackberry fell 20 times in 2 year and never got any major scratch.

To everyone, be careful and look to avoid Dell Streak 5" or prepare to shell out Rs 11,000 every 6 months on screen replacement.

funkysourav said:
^^11k for screen replacement? damn that must've hurt
have you tried calling Dell's consumer complaints cell or forwarded a PM to them?
actually the phone is purchased in US though while talking to them, I didn't disclosed it and still they said as it is physical damage, they can not do anything and I have to pay 11k. Once when I said it is US purchased phone, they added 3k too for the Indian "warranty". Since half of the phone is still working :ashamed: I am still able to use the phone and waiting for my made in china LCD screen to arrive. If that doesn't work, I have to go for the Dell option

unni said:
They are not replacing the screen; instead they are giving a new Streak itself. :) I guess repair options are not available yet.
Yep, they don't repair/replace screen and just give you the new phone.

@ poseidon

i also broke screen of my DELL STREAK and now i am also facing the same problem, i am not able to get replacement screen anywhere...i read about the product in amazon so did you get it and did it fit and is it working properly, can you please help me with this.

Back