Dell Studio 14. My Config. Your Advice.

Parashock1

Disciple
Greeting Fellas !

First Post !
Am planning to buy a Dell Studio 14. Mainly due to the On site and Next Business day service.
I have configured a piece. Image is attached below.
It comes to around Rs.56,000 I think with Delivery, which is slightly more than the budget.
Need expert advice on How to bring the cost down slightly (Imagination power).

Also if some one has a offer for me for this Dell piece, I keep checking my PM.

Thanks in Anticipation!

29l0nte.jpg

@Tron05,

I have considered the Inspiron 14 (I do not want anything bigger than 14 inch), but the fact that they were Rs.10,000 less than the Studio got me reading. And I found a lot of complains with the Body and Hardware.
Also the speaker's in Inspiron are not as good as Studio (Heard both).

Both Inspiron and Studio have the 3 Years complete cover. But I really do not know the difference between the 3 year complete cover with Accident cover, Dell Care Plus and Dell Care Premium.

Any one got any Idea what that's about ?
Also correct me if I am wrong about the inspiron.

Thanks.

^^^grab a inspiron... or try to get a solution with HD5470 512MB (Better than HD5450 1GB) and a 15.6" LCD wud be better(bigger) yet cheaper.

comp@ddict , I will call dell and ask if I can get a ATI 5470.

But i have one more doubt. The ATI 5450 card is too weak to use the 1 GB. In that case, would any one know if Dell Studio comes with shared memory capacity (Use of GPU memory in System memory) ?

thetoxicmind,

Thanks. I just have to figure the GPU now. And will be all set.
Because if there is no shared memory, I'd better go for the 5470 (512mb) or just 5450 (512 mb) if Dell offers them.

Parashock1 said:
Thanks. I just have to figure the GPU now. And will be all set.

Because if there is no shared memory, I'd better go for the 5470 (512mb) or just 5450 (512 mb) if Dell offers them.

I suggested the latter(5450), keeping in mind your intention to keep the price down.

Although the HD 5470 is marginally better than HD 5450, it isn't being offered as an optional upgrade for the Studio 14 series.

Parashock1 said:
But i have one more doubt. The ATI 5450 card is too weak to use the 1 GB. In that case, would any one know if Dell Studio comes with shared memory capacity (Use of GPU memory in System memory) ?

1. 1GB isn't required for the specified resolution, 512MB should do.

2. GPUs can access the system memory, by default. Although, this depends on the type of applications you run.

In most cases, the GPU's memory should suffice.

comp@ddict , I will call dell and ask if I can get a ATI 5470.

No, GPU memory can't be accessed by system, system memory can be used by GPU its called HyperMemory/Turbocache etc etc try to grab the HD5470, it's about the same cost, but a bit faster..

And opt out of the MS Office Starter Package, because MS Office 2010 is round the corner....

DELL has updated the base studio 14 to i3-370M@2.4GHz:clap:
you can go for dell complete cover for 3 years instead of dell care premium as complete cover for 3 yrs covers even the accidental damages, so no need to spend extra on care premium:no:
Here is the link for base studio 14, just Add 3 YRS complete cover and it will cost you rs 53,687(excluding delivery charges).

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

@ Toxicmind and Comp2ddict,

Thanks for your replies. Dell doesn't seem to offer HD5470. So it is HD 5450 for me. I am asking for a downgrade from 1 GB to 512 MB Video RAM.

And about MS Starter, All I do is use MS Word, MS Excel and sometimes make Powerpoint presentations. I think the Starter does the first two. It does not make presentations.

If there is not notable price reduction after removing MS Starter, I might stick on to it.

Does MS Office Starter 2010 have a validity date or is it indefinite like other MS Office Licenses ?

@RS4,

Thank You very much for the link. Yes they have replaces i3-350M by i3-370M.

One thing Intrigues me, the (i3-370 M is a 2.4Ghz, 2 core / 4 threads , 3M) . And the (i5-450M is 2.4Ghz, 2 Cores/4 threads,3M) but with a "turbo boost up to 2.66Ghz"

Pricing aside (i5 is about Rs.2,800 more than i3), is the i5 going to make any difference on my system with the HD5450 Vcard ?

And yes, I will change to the 3 Year Complete Cover.

1.It doesnt make sense to spend 3k extra for i5@2.4GHz as it will overclock to 2.66 GHz only one of its cores in single threaded applications :bleh:
2. You wont notice any increase in performance by using i5@2.4Ghz when compared to i3@2.4GHz in day to day tasks.So, just stick to i3-370@2.4GHz, Its more than sufficient for you :eek:hyeah:

Check the studio 15 with i5-430M and 1GB HD5470.....

4GB Ram and 500gB HDD.......

Good lappy for 46,900

Thanks a lot RS4.

So the config goes like this :

i3-370M , 4 GB RAM, 320 GB SATA, HD5450 - 1 GB VRAM, Only default accessories.

Comes to Rs.53,688 + Delivery.

I get the system for Rs.55,000 (according to the dell rep I spoke to). Which is acceptable with me.
What do you guys think about the total ? Is it justified ?

One last thing, I wanted Dell to email me the Terms and Conditions of the 3 Year complete cover policy. But they don't seem interested. Is there any place I can read the Indan T&C ? (No luck with the dell website so far).

The Order sheet says this

3 Years complete cover Accidental damage protection
on
3 Years Telephone tech support (9am - 5 pm)
3 Years Ltd Hardware warranty (In home service after remote diagnostics)
International support.

Now what I understand is, that if I have some problem 3 years from purchase, I call dell customer care and they ask me to do certain things to determine the problem and then send the technician to my place. The technician comes and does his job, replaces parts if required and things are fine.

But my job demands me to keep moving within India every few months. Say I am not at my home address, will the Dell tech come where ever i ask them to ?

And also if after a year of use, I pass on the computer to other family member / friend, would the warranty still work since the purchase is in my name ?

Sorry for all the questions fellas! This is the last one for now. After which, the order will be confirmed.

@teja92 , Yes it is a great offer. But I need a 14 Inch for the portability. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks to the others in Anticipation.

Fellas !

The computer is here. It is as expected. Glossy and sturdy from the outside. No lose pins and screws so far. All works well. Took about 10 days from ordering to reach.

Dell website and bluedart both worked well. But I am to an extent disappointed with the Support documentation.
Well there is no documentation present to begin with. Just the Setup Guide. Although helpful, I was expecting the Terms and Conditions of the 3 Year complete cover. I have a product which is insured, but I do not have a document that defines the rules. Something explaining the limited warranty and other specifics.

So again, can any one please explain or point me towards the relevant document to understand what my 3 Year Complete cover with Accidental Insurance cover ?
(Although the sales was very promising that warranty cover's everything, I find it difficult to digest).

And yes, it has a Energy Star Label !
Thanks !

Back