meyyar

Disciple
Jun 22, 2009
I am planning to buy either one of these :

(a) Dell studio 14 : costs 47 K

-Intel core2 Duo Processor T6400
-3GB DDR2 SDRAM
-320GB SATA HD
-512 MB Dedicated graphics card ( To be customised and bought separately , not a part of the config)

(b) HP DV4 1241TX : costs 51 K

-Intel core2 Duo Processor T6400
-3 GB DDR2
-320GB SATA
-NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS , 512 MB Dedicated Graphics.
Please I request the users of these laptops to share their experiences in terms of battery backup .From the reviews about these laptops , I am confused as which one to buy . Some say HP has poor battery backup while others vice versa . Please provide info asap , I need to buy this in 2 days .

I would be using the laptop for mainly entertainment ( movies ,songs , games ) and then some office work .

Thanks ,
Mey

anjath

Disciple
Jul 17, 2008
studio 14 doesnt have 512 MB Dedicated graphics card as u said above. but it does have 256MB ATI card. and now if ur trying to fit in a graphics card on ur own, then not only will ur warranty be void but u could be screwed big time due to compatibility issues.

The Prince

Disciple
Jun 16, 2009
^^ o bhai he will get it customised while getting it from dell website,

u dont worry abt that he will do it all by himself

so no voiding of warranty

he has said he is going to get it cutomised!

read the posts clearly before saying anything!!

@ op: any day dell studio 14 is a better choice with good after sale service then hp

hp is just not upto the mark in terms of after sale service!!

go for studio 14!!

meyyar

Disciple
Jun 22, 2009
Thanks ppl for ur input,
But my main confern is abt the battery life..i have read many bad reviews abt battery life in both these laptops.And does by adding the graphics card will it affect the battery life..? I would need atleast 2+ hours of battery if not 8..!

anjath

Disciple
Jul 17, 2008
but there is no customization option for 512MB. can u please show me where there is option for 512MB. if that was so, i would have really gone for it. im talking about dell india website. i dont know... maybe if ur importing from dell USA u have chance.. studio 15 has 512MB option.. XPS also.

anjath

Disciple
Jul 17, 2008
and if you want 8hrs backup.. check out some netbooks.. but definitely no graphics card in that. or u can try acer timeline series.

hotshot05

Skilled
Sep 11, 2008
Kolkata
hotshot05.page.tl
The Prince said:
^^ o bhai he will get it customised while getting it from dell website,
u dont worry abt that he will do it all by himself
so no voiding of warranty
he has said he is going to get it cutomised!
read the posts clearly before saying anything!!

@ op: any day dell studio 14 is a better choice with good after sale service then hp
hp is just not upto the mark in terms of after sale service!!
go for studio 14!!

The Dell Studio 14 page in the Dell India website gives no option for customization. Have you ever visited the Dell Studio 14 page in the Dell India website.

Personally I think that getting the Dell Studio 15 is a better option since it has a better graphics card. Also it can be customised online and a battery of more capacity can be chosen too.

meyyar

Disciple
Jun 22, 2009
Yup , I have been following up with the reviews of Acer Timeline series , but except the battery commitment , they are not a good choice for entertainment purpose , the HD videos are with lags .The Acer Timline is suitable for business purpose ( the one with the Intel SOLO SU3500) .

Now my purpose being mainly entertainment , I have to make a choice between Dell Studio 14 or HP DV 4 . So please provide info abt the battery life of these 2 .. Please help me decide .

Thanks
Mey

meyyar

Disciple
Jun 22, 2009
Oh Okay. I have not visited Dell India .
hmm But I feel that Dell studio 15 will not be suitable for carrying it with me during my travels. I travel frequently . How comfortable is it to carry it around ? Any idea ?

hotshot05

Skilled
Sep 11, 2008
Kolkata
hotshot05.page.tl
meyyar said:
Oh Okay. I have not visited Dell India .
hmm But I feel that Dell studio 15 will not be suitable for carrying it with me during my travels. I travel frequently . How comfortable is it to carry it around ? Any idea ?

If you can carry around a 14 inch laptop there is no way a 15 inch laptop will cause too much problems. The weight is only a bit more than the 14 inch version.

If you were really concerned about portability and battery life, you would have had chosen a netbook instead. Buy the Asus 1000HE. It suits your travel requirement and has a pretty long battery life too.

Also the Acer 5738z has pretty good battery life. But it has 15.6 inch screen.

techie_007

Skilled
Jun 2, 2007
www.techiesdomain.com
Get a 13" - 15" as per your requirements and buy an extended life 9cell battery. Dell for one provides such batteries and these do provide good extra runtime :)

Also, adding a graphics card will DEFINITELY drag down the battery life.

The Prince

Disciple
Jun 16, 2009
the new ones coming are 15.6 inch not the 15.4

and these r huge laptops

personally i will never like to carry them!!

geta 14 incher only

battery life of almost all laptops in that category is almost same

depends on ur kind of usage

dont worry abt that!!

2-2.5 hrs is all that u can expect the most