Laptops Dell Studio Sim Slot?

There is a sim card slot behind the battery in my dell studio 15 . Any tips on how to use it and what is it compatible with? Does our normal cell phone sim work on it??

Our normal sim works. But u need wireless broadband card for that, costs from 3k. And also make sure that card is compatible with your laptop model.

@avi: what is the wireless broadband card for? Can we use a normal sim and say 3G ?

( LoL.. i was wondering about this for 1 year :p Never thought of posting it here :p )
Edit: Yaaaay! My 1500th post!! :clap:

Yes, u can use 3G also :)

I have Dell XPS couldn't find correct compatible card for my in India so i didn't buy it. Was thinking to import from ebay.com, but was price was getting more than 5K. And I bought USB Modem for 1.7k instead :eek:hyeah:

Dell US has option to include in lappie while purchasing.

Pros compared to USB modem are strong signal strength, good speed, no need to carry extra device & waste one USB port.

Errr isn't that a dummy SIM slot? AFAIK we are supposed to install a mini PCI-E WWAN module into the laptop first and then do the rest. Simply inserting a sim card doesn't help unless the laptop comes with a WWAN card pre-installed from the factory.

Gannu said:
Errr isn't that a dummy SIM slot? AFAIK we are supposed to install a mini PCI-E WWAN module into the laptop first and then do the rest. Simply inserting a sim card doesn't help unless the laptop comes with a WWAN card pre-installed from the factory.

Yup. If your laptop has a WWAN slot, you need to insert the WWAN card, this has the SIM card connections to the slot outside.

avi said:
Yes, u can use 3G also :)

I have Dell XPS couldn't find correct compatible card for my in India so i didn't buy it. Was thinking to import from ebay.com, but was price was getting more than 5K. And I bought USB Modem for 1.7k instead :eek:hyeah:

Dell US has option to include in lappie while purchasing.

Pros compared to USB modem are strong signal strength, good speed, no need to carry extra device & waste one USB port.

Cons: I have never used internal card, but I guess there will be heating issue during high speed downloads.

no there wont be any heating issues . afaik hp and lenovo lock their BIOS for specific cards . i am selling one in the market section in case you are interested

Here is back panel of my XPS L501x :

OZMWC.jpg

and here one has to install the card :

fPiNL.jpg

I just checked ebay.com & the prices seem low. One can get 7.2 MBPS, GSM + CDMA, 2G & 3G support at around 2k :)

Back