Laptops Dell Studio XPS 16 - Any alternatives ?

PhOeNiX

Skilled
Well i am planning on buying a new laptop for myself, and i have kind of ended up on the Studio XPS 16. The one i am planning on is with the following configuration

i7-740QM

4GB DDR3 1333 RAM

500GB 7200RPM HDD

1024MB ATi 5670 (I think)

This one comes to around 70k before discounts. Not sure how much it will end up landing for me though.

Now my main reason to buy Dell (especially online) is their service and the quality i have seen in dell laptops. And the XPS has backlit keyboards and a full HD screen, which from the reviews i have seen, seems to be one of the best in the market.

Now are there any options i can look at apart from the XPS with similar features ? The backlit keyboard is something i would like, as that is one of the reasons i am not going for the Studio 15 over the XPS, as for a similar config, i would save around 8k.

I personally don't like HP or Acer laptops. But if it is a good deal i wouldn't mind having a look.

TIA

Hmm. I'll have a look at that. But i have seen the Studio's, and the quality does not seem at par with the XPS range. Plus the screen is also a 720p one, though that's something i can overlook for 9k :p

EDIT: Nope. The newer Studio's don't seem to have a Backlit Keyboard. I also just remembered seeing a friends new Studio 15 last week which did not have this.

^ Yeah,just checked on their website.

few days ago i saw option for core i7 740QM for studio 14 as well as 15 & there was option for backlit keyboard in both as well.

the total build for Studio 14 was coming to about 63k with 2 year accidental insurance coverage + Full HD Screen + 4GB Memory + 500GB 7200 RPM HDD + 9 cell battery.

it would be better to wait for a few days & keep checking website regularly as they might be out of stock for core i7 setups for studio 14 & 15.

I know that as of now, Dell India is out of the Core i series processors. So it won't be available in any Studio or Studio XPS till they restock. So i have to wait :p

^^^^Its Ati 5730, dont go for any other laptop,you may get the same specs but you wont get that awesome build quality,finish of xps and excellent dell complete cover which comes for free with xps series.

^ personally i don't like bulky laptops,i have a HP DV9000 which i bought way back in 2007.

but back then i was in college & i really enjoyed watching movies on it & playing games on it.

but today i can't play current games on it as it's underpowered compared to current technology.

the only reason i want a laptop is because of portability. that's it.

i use my desktop for all other stuffs like gaming & movies etc.

Well, more than the portability, i can't stand slow PC's nowadays. I am spoilt i guess. That's why an XPS. Mainly it will be used for office work plus maybe some travel entertainment.

well one of my friend has same config xps studio 16 where the config come with i7 920 with 4 gb ddr3 500 gb , full hd with ati 4670 that he bought it last year 2009 December ;)

pros:- the laptop is faster loading windows 7 less 15-19 sec, and apps is quite faster good with all feature and improve software security and can do multitasking and light games and nice back-light and soft keyboard with good feature control

cons :- the laptop need more power and not enough for 90 watt adpator due to bottleneck of fps rate for any games so u should update to 110-130 watt adapter i recommend, and the i7 need more hunger power more than 90-100 watt and it heating up while gaming and heavy multitasking at 70-80 *c, and bit heavy and need bios update for undercloking cpu and gpu power rating and fix heating issue and more bug etc....

I would recommend you to go for i5 CPU option for switchable graphics. The i7 processors are power hog and battery life do suffer.

I second Gaurav8. i7 is kind of an overkill for notebooks. And beware of heat issues. Last year my friend bought one Dell model with ATi 4xxx series GFX. It had severe heat problems. I suggest you to invest in good quality dual fan notebook pad like this . These are effective. I know because I own one :eek:hyeah: . BTW there is a whole range of Targus and other brands available in India.

Btw, haven't looked at XPS offerings, but do you get SSD option in India?

Fans and SSD's are not much of a problem for me (Read : Lian-Li & Mushkin :p).

As of now i am still stuck on the XPS 16 with the i7 and another option a friend reminded me of (will disclose once i know it's final ;)).

Do any dell models allow user-replaceable HDD (to plonk in an SSD) these days? I was luckily able to put on in my old HP pavilion tx1000 series (Oct 2008) tablet :)

I tried looking at Dell display in Croma but could not figure it out (if there was an easy access bay/slot) and the sales guys were clueless...

my brother has a xps16 which is a perfect laptop for him as he uses it as a desktop replacement . it has all kind of ports ,the screen is also good (afaik its 300nit) but the ppi is too high for 16" screen .the high resolution wont be much of a problem if you are going to use win7. i dont like the laptop much as its too heavy , core i7 is power hog buy it only if you are going to use that kind of apps .

i bought a envy 14 over the xps16 . the laptop screen is the best i have seen (only 1 step above xps16 - you can tell it easily just by looking at it) . the cooling is excellent and it doesnt overheat even when operating on a mattress

I will actually second ^^ on the Envy.

Asus after sales completely slipped from my mind :rofl:
Please do yourself a favor and stay away from the xps.

Back