Dell Studio XPS 16 or Sony VPCEA16 - (Laptops under 65k)

flipsyde

Disciple
Hi all. This is my first thread/post on techenclave.

I am in the market for a new laptop. I mostly use AutoCAD, Sketchup, Photoshop and occasionally 3Ds Max at work and GTA 4, NFS, Grid and surf the web at home.

I have looked at the Dell Studio XPS 16 and the Sony VPCEA16 so far. If I am going in for the Dell it will be purchased from the US for $1399 and comes with i7+4GB+ATI 5730. The Sony will be purchased here in Chennai for 55k and comes with i5+4GB+ATI 5650.

To start with, I am not too concerned with screen sizes. I can do just fine with a 14 or a 16 inch screen. But if its a 16 inch screen I would insist on full HD though a HD screen would suffice for a 14 inch. Battery should last me a minimum 2.5hrs, more the better. Service backup is also very important. I cannot be without a laptop as my work fully depends on it.

I almost picked up the Sony when my friend asked me to look at the Dell Studio XPS 16. The Sony build quality is not that great. A 2 year warranty extension costs me 5k. The Dell on the other hand has a very good build and comes with 2 years basic warranty out of the box. It also has a i7 processor, 1333Mhz Ram, a 7200rpm HDD and a slightly better graphic card.

If anyone out here can help me with a coupon or code with which I can get a discount on the Dell Studio XPS in India I will gladly take them out for a beer!!

In the midst of all this confusion I have also been asked to take a look at the Dell Vostro 3700 (i7+4GB+Nvidia 330M) and a Macbook Pro 13 (C2D+4GB+Nvidia 320M).

I am hopelessly lost on my purchase and need help. BADLY! Its a lot of money and I don't want to end up regretting my decision.

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System - Dell Studio XPS 16 (US version)

http://configure.ap.dell.com/dellst...&ecomm=ecomm.apj.dell.com&c=in&l=en&cs=indhs1 - Dell Studio XPS 16 (India Version)

Vostro 3700 Laptop Details | Dell India - Dell Vostro 3700

VPCEA16FG : E Series : VAIO - Sony Vaio VPCEA16

Apple (India) - MacBook Pro - Technical specifications of the 13-inch. - Apple Macbook Pro 13

honestly dude. You dont wanna end up with HP if you really want a good A.S.S. If your work really depends on the laptop then best is to go for Dell with 3 year complete cover warranty out of the box.

Let me remind you of the fact that Dell complete care for laptop bought from US will not be valid in India and will be downgraded to Next Business Day warranty (which aint too bad either).

If you are not travelling much and using the laptop mostly as a DTR (Desktop replacement then get the 16-17 inchers) else go for the 15 inch ones. The Dell India link you gave is not working so I am assuming that you are looking at quad core models. Frankly speaking with that powerful system you should realistically expect 1.5-2 hrs of battery backup unless you opt for a 9 or 12 cell battery.

Make sure to call Dell on the toll free number and get the best laptop configured and mailed to you. Then post it in the forum and ask some dell employees who are member's here to help.

PS: Go in for 3 year warranty for total peace of mind. Check my siggy. I am planning to extend mine to 5 as Dell gives that option on Latitudes :)

Hope this helps

Thanks a lot for the response guys.

The HP does have a stunning config. I am impressed. But I have owned a HP personally and the rest of the laptops in office are also HP and I must say... their A S S is horrible. I had to literally stand in the middle of the A S S and scream my head off to get my problem rectified. I wouldn't be seriously considering HP for something in this price bracket.

I very much would love to pick up the Dell Studio XPS 16. But the 74k price tag in India puts it out of my reach unless some Dell employee member here helps me out. The other option that I see is to get it from the US and transfer the warranty. I am very careful with my laptop and I hardly carry it around so I am not particular about the complete cover warranty.

Any idea why no one seems to be recommending the Sony Vaio? Is it really inferior?

Can some Dell employee please help me out with the discounts. I'd be happy to treat them for this favour :)

I personally own an dell xps studio 16 and i got it for 70k. its truelly a stunning maching which will suti u all of ur requirements.

The reason for an increase in 4k is they are providing a bag-pack along with a dx11 gpu(although it sounds insane but thats the fact). plus the battery life is average on a 9-ion.

so if u want to do some HD graphics or some some good hd movies, then the default 15" screen will suffice ur needs.

If are concerned about weight, then my honest advice would be to go for a 15" model and not 16", the former one does weigh a lot. Also some ppl have rightly mentioned, they have good service and warranty period acts like an insurance for ur lappy.

+10 for dell studio xps.

You should Get the Dell studio xps16 from US as you get the awesome specs like i7 quad core processor+Ati 5730+15.6 inch Full HD screen+9 cell battery for only $1250 or 58-59k. just call the Dell india and ask how much will it cost to get the warranty transferred from us to india, i think even after paying for warranty transfer you will get it for cheaper than buying it in India.

I dont think they charge anything for the warranty transfer (atleast I wasnt charged anything). its a simple online form and thats it. Even if they do then it wont be much.

motorheadinc said:
I dont think they charge anything for the warranty transfer (atleast I wasnt charged anything). its a simple online form and thats it. Even if they do then it wont be much.
Thats great:hap2:,Actually one of my friend was asked to pay some amount for warranty transfer of his dell studio but that was 2 years ago.

Ok I guess I'll be ordering my Dell Studio XPS 16 (i7+6GB+Ati 5730+500GB+9Cell) by November 1st week. I have a friend coming down from the US on December 24th. I think this should given Dell enough time to get it delivered.

How does the HP Envy 17 compare. Its got a Ati 5850. Very tempting. But HP really scares me with after sales support.

Back